Menu

If you have had a hysterectomy...

Rivka

...how long did it take you to get totally back to normal?

I had minimally invasive surgery (no abdominal incision) two months ago. My doctor said I would be back to normal in two weeks, which was a ridiculous lie, but a month after surgery I felt like I had my energy back. I have mostly been at my normal activity level including some hiking with the family.

There are two big exceptions:

- around the time that I would normally get my period, I've been having stress and anxiety symptoms that seem to be hormone related. After a few days it goes away.

- When the weather is changing, and particularly if it is going to storm, I have a fair amount of belly pain. Like someone whose bad knee twinges when weather is coming, except that I get a cold burning pain that can last for hours.

Does this sound normal? Is it ever going to go away?

I recovered quickly and felt a lot better than before even though mine included an oophorectomy and I had to get used to bio-identical HT. Overall, I think within three months I was in good shape. I have a large scar, so obviously this took longer to completely fade but I was able to resume exercising and felt good. If you still have your ovaries, you may still feel like you have a cycle.

Remember there may be scar tissue forming. Can you do gentle massaging to break up some tissue before it forms? I am sure there is a website on how to do this correctly somewhere. Someone at the dr's office showed me back then. If I remember right, it's just circular, gentle movements.

Did you rest right after the surgery? I slept day and night for the first few days. You can also try some systemic enzymes that help avoid scar tissue formation by processing fibrin. This explains it better:

http://systemicenzymes.net/

I had 8 weeks off of work after mine but remember feeling like I could have gone back after 3.  After 2, I had no pain but still tired easy.  

I still have my ovaries so I do still have PMS symptoms sometimes, which is weird because I usually don't figure out that's what's happening until it has been going on for a day or so.  

I haven't heard of anyone having belly pain post hysterectomy.  Have you asked your gyn about it?  

It took me a good 6 months to feel good again.  I had an infection from the surgery and they had to go back in and clean it out, which I feel really delayed my recovery.  I was tired all of the time and have tons of scar tissue now.  I kept my ovaries and do get the pms symptoms each month still.  If there is anything you can do to prevent the scar tissue from building up, do it!  Otherwise, I feel much better and haven't had any other problems.