Menu

Joy Hakim's History of Science with teacher resources

Is anyone else aware of these resources for Joy Hakim's Story of Science series or used them?

They've received some mixed reviews, but if someone has a child who is a STEM candidate, these may very well be used as your history along with complementary science programs.  While my DD isn't a STEM candidate, I'm actually thinking of ordering Hakim's books with these resources to supplement our interest-led science during our middle school years.

I wanted to like the Quest Guides, but I ended up dropping them and we just read the books.  They are very oriented toward a classroom setting, and while some of the activities were great, many of them either felt like busywork or they were too complicated to do at home or they were really better in a group setting.  I think it would be a good resource for a class or co op but I didn't really find them that useful one-on-one at home.  YMMV.

• Like 5

I wanted to like the Quest Guides, but I ended up dropping them and we just read the books.  They are very oriented toward a classroom setting, and while some of the activities were great, many of them either felt like busywork or they were too complicated to do at home or they were really better in a group setting.  I think it would be a good resource for a class or co op but I didn't really find them that useful one-on-one at home.  YMMV.

Ditto.  The books are good, though.

• Like 1

Moving Beyond the Page has a unit study guide for the Einstein book and we're going to be giving that a try next year.

Crimson Wife, thanks for mentioning this. I see that they also have a guide for Newton at the Center. I like that these guides are from a Language Arts perspective - have you looked at the guide yet?

To the OP: I agree with the others. We did the first book this year for 7th, and I found the Quest guide to be useless, really.

• Like 1

Crimson Wife, thanks for mentioning this. I see that they also have a guide for Newton at the Center. I like that these guides are from a Language Arts perspective - have you looked at the guide yet?.

Not yet because we won't get the materials for next fall from our charter teacher until August.

• 2 months later...

I am using these this year as well for a morning family science/history lesson to discuss.  I have the workbooks as well but finding that they are not really practical for each lesson as we will use them.  Thanks for the Moving Beyond the Page referral - I will check those guides out.  

Has anyone used AIMS Historical Links Through Mathematics?  I am using these as well and was hoping someone might have a schedule or has combined the 2 series (Hakim's Story of Science with the Historical Links through Mathematics). http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Connections-Mathematics-Resources-Classroom/dp/1881431355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408801364&sr=1-1&keywords=aims+history+math

• 8 months later...

I am using these this year as well for a morning family science/history lesson to discuss. I have the workbooks as well but finding that they are not really practical for each lesson as we will use them. Thanks for the Moving Beyond the Page referral - I will check those guides out.

Has anyone used AIMS Historical Links Through Mathematics? I am using these as well and was hoping someone might have a schedule or has combined the 2 series (Hakim's Story of Science with the Historical Links through Mathematics). http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Connections-Mathematics-Resources-Classroom/dp/1881431355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408801364&sr=1-1&keywords=aims+history+math

Reviving an old thread, and hoping that someone may have anwered your question - anyone link the AIMs Historical Links book with Story of Science? Or with any other history book? Very curious!

We loved the first book this year. Grandma has taught this first book. i just ordered the two others. I ordered the Quest guide for the second book and we'll use probably 1/10th of it (this is based on me looking through it) . I won't order the 3rd guide. The discussions that flow out of the reading of the book together is worth more. I don't always need evidence that learning is taking place.  We'll follow those books with the Big History Project (on=line) and do it together. It's a great follow up to Hakim's bookes.

• Like 1