Menu

What should I be prepared to buy to get kids ready to enter public school ?

SewLittleTime

I think dh is is determined that the kids are going. We can't seem to get past the issue of how to get our kids to make friends. We've been here two years and friends are just not happening for them. Lots of acquaintances, yes. Friends, no. Co-ops are not good fits. His solution is they need to go to public school.

Anyway, I know I have lots to do to get them ready. They will all need clothes and school supplies. But what other things or hidden costs are there that I need to prepare for?

We did a parochial school, so I may be missing something but off the top of my head: sports (fee to play, sweat/tee shirts, and possibly equipment), gifts for teachers (some parent will collect, this isn't really optional), admission to dances, lunches if they aren't bringing them.

ETA: I understand the frustration re: friends. It's part of the reason dd went to school this year and also why we're thinking of sending ds this year, though we really don't want to.

Check if your kids need their TB test done. My public school needed an updated TB test when I registered them in February. DTAP booster shots for 7th grade if in California.

Binders for your oldest. Middle school here like binders and you can return to store if you child's teacher end up not requiring them.

Sneakers for PE for all your kids.

Lunch bag and water bottles if your kids are bringing their own.

Maybe a prepaid phone for your oldest to contact you for emergencies/change of plans.

Yearbook is an optional cost

Field trips cost

Christmas and Teacher's day gifts (optional)

School annual walkathon (optional donation)

Kleenex and Hand Sanitizers donation to class

For kindergarten and 1st grade, my kids school ask parents to donate food and drinks for class parties. Kindergarteners had parties nearly every month.

My oldest had no friends since he drop B&M school three years ago for the online charter. My youngest has no friends all along. We are trying two days of a private education center this fall. It would be public school for them if this doesn't work out.

School clothing (plus indoor/outdoor shoes for each applicable season, for each kid), school supplies, lunch items (if your school is peanut-free, depending on how strict they are, you could be looking at buying lunch items you wouldn't normally keep in the house, that was our experience with public school). 

School fundraising drives, teacher gift pitch-ins, book sales/bake sales/etc. There will likely be MANY birthday party invites, and depending how many you go to you'll need to buy gifts for those (my kids had no less than one each per month it seemed).

If you live where winter gear is necessary (we definitely do!) then look at needing double the gear for the season per kid. When mine were in PS, we EASILY went through 2-3 pairs of snowpants, gloves and mitts each winter. Not to mention all the lost mittens, hats, and scarves. 

There's probably more that I'm not thinking about. For us, mainly, the school fundraising drives KILLED us. Those add up fast. 

Basic things like binders, paper, pencils, lots of erasers, etc. Kleenex and Hand Sanitizer. I've never had to get a present for a teacher though, so that's new to me. A sturdy back pack to hold it all, a lunch box to carry their lunch if necessary. Then of course there's the stuff you have to pay for like yearbooks (I only had a high school one where I live now), lunch program, school photos, field trips (if they're at that age range), PE supplies (sneackers/shorts/shirt/etc).

I wouldn't buy any school supplies until you get specifics from the school. My experience is that teachers or schools typically have exact requirements that they want followed.

Music, sports, or activity related costs, if they're of that age.

Make sure their immunization are up-to-date and you have official birth certificates in your possession. You'll also need proof of residency. After that, just wait for the school to send home a list. I don't do big back-to-school clothes shopping for my daughter. When school starts, she is still wearing her summer clothes. We add a few pieces and usually new shoes when it gets chilly. She gets most of her new winter stuff at Christmas.

Around here, the stores that sell school supplies have a supply list from each school that's categorized by grade. For that stuff it's worth hitting the summer sales. That's mainly for elementary schools. High schools will tell you about supplies and lab fees during the first week.

I've only had one of my children in school for a few years. None of it was as inconvenient or complicated as I feared. Every step (except making the initial decision to send her) was easier than the actual work of homeschooling. (Granted, I sent her past the age of needing help with homework.) Try not to stress about supplies and whatnot before you've seen an actual list.

School books- for private schools expect up to $200 per kid for books (Elementary was free for us, middle school about $100, high school $200) For public you may be asked to provide literature books or books they are short on.  My daughter had so many heavy books to carry, I ended up buying her a few text books for home, so she didn't have to bring them home all the time (there was one classroom set that he kids could check out as needed on a day to day basis). 

Field trips- I have seen any thing from free to $4000+. $5-20 is the most common. Washington DC is common in 8th or senior year depending on school but is usually optional.  My daughters private also did a week in Wyoming studying glaciers and snow pack.  I have seen lots of variations of week long nature trips. 

Sports teams- I have paid anything from $80 for a year of swim team, to $1000 for cheer leading...and anything in between.  Most common is about $400 for fees/uniforms/mandatory workout gear/t-shirts/camps/equipment etc.  And then there is the fundraising....ugh!  And there is the expense playing like gasoline and food. 

School ID and/or ASB cards- I have paid from $40-80. 

Supplies-Look at the school websites, most have school supply lists posted year round. Expect a second list the 1st week of school based on certain teachers specific desires. School supplies have varied greatly depending on the schedule.  Anywhere from $40 to $140....($100 graphing calculator/ specific art supplies/ teacher supply cabinet items/ full cases of paper etc) 

School pictures are usually $20 for just the class picture and picture packages go up from there. I don't buy them.

School t-shirt/sweat shirt./shorts. There are often required ones for PE but when just optional the kids still love them. $15-30.

Younger kids will come home with Scholastic book club sheets which are optional but fun for them to get something each month if they are book lovers.

School clothes.  I figure $400 for a younger kid, $700 for a teen in public school.  $1000 for a teen in private school (we usually break it into half before school starts and half in the fall once she figures out what the current trends are).  

Shoes $100 for younger kid (I light weight, 1 for rain, 1 for your particular climate) $200+ for teen (Athletic shoes for PE, casual shoes, girly shoes for girls).  Add $100 for any sports played.

Yearbooks for middle/high school $40-60

Back pack $40-100.  Older kids need a very sturdy back pack for heavy books.  Plan to replace yearly or buy one with a warrenty and keep the receipts to use it.  Another bag/back pack for sports....usually about $40 per sport.

Gifts...vary widely but expect them.  Teacher gifts/coaches gifts/secretary's day etc....

Lunches.  School lunches are about $3 a day here, but my kids usually spend about $5 getting something to go with it, to make it enough to fill them up...or to just have something that is appealing.   I have had kids who bought lunch daily and ones who packed them everyday.  Either way it is about $20 a week. 

Locks for lockers/bikes if the ride to school. $5 for locker lock rental/$10 to buy. $20-40+ for bike lock

I get my kids sports physical at the same time as immunizations/regular physicals.  It makes it much easier if they decide to do a sport later to not have to worry about having a current one.  

School pictures

Fees to attend sporting events

PTA stuff, fundraisers

ETA: a good backpack if they don't already have one

Check with your schools before buying one, though. Here they are only allowed cinch bags. No regular back packs are allowed and if they bring them they have to stay in a locker which they only have access to at the beginning and end of each day.

I wouldn't get much of anything until after their first few days because even the printed lists change here depending on the teacher/teachers.

The thing my dds had the hardest time with was working the locks to their school/band/pe lockers. We had youngest practice before so she was more prepared since they have so little time.

The real hidden sneaky costs, if you are talking about gaining friends, are the cultural trends and fads. Whatever the new cards or game of the moment is, whatever the new jewelry item/make up/hair thing, whatever the latest gadget or technology, the latest band, on and on. All the kids won't have them, but you will be bombarded with requests because of course "everybody else's parents bought it." You might want to lay out a policy or have a discussion before school starts about household rules for attire, personal spending, and extracurricular parties/visits.

Check with your schools before buying one, though. Here they are only allowed cinch bags. No regular back packs are allowed and if they bring them they have to stay in a locker which they only have access to at the beginning and end of each day.

Re: backpacks. Good call. Years ago we lived in a school district that only allowed see-through bags. As in, at least one side had to be mesh or clear vinyl/plastic. I'm not sure how long that lasted as we moved the year after that rule was implemented.

The thing my dds had the hardest time with was working the locks to their school/band/pe lockers. We had youngest practice before so she was more prepared since they have so little time.

If yours are of age to have lockers, it's a good idea to buy two locks packaged together with the same combination for the gym and hall lockers.

If you have preteen girls, don't underestimate the importance of a locker mirror. It's a regular rite of passage around here. The year my daughter went to middle school was the year that locker mirrors were scarce. Pretty sure she would have needed therapy if we hadn't eventually located one.

If yours are of age to have lockers, it's a good idea to buy two locks packaged together with the same combination for the gym and hall lockers.

If you have preteen girls, don't underestimate the importance of a locker mirror. It's a regular rite of passage around here. The year my daughter went to middle school was the year that locker mirrors were scarce. Pretty sure she would have needed therapy if we hadn't eventually located one.

Many schools issue their own locks. Don't buy before you know.

Think about making your home an attractive place for all those "new friends" to come to.

And give it time. If the only problem your kids have had in making friends is access to kids, then school will probably help, but most school kids simply don't have time in the day to develop past the acquaintance stage. That takes time at each other's homes. You will probably get a mixed bag, so to speak. Some will only want to come over and play if you have all the latest stuff, some won't. You'll know who's who.

Also be prepared for most kids to be in afterschool programs that will mean they simply won't have time to play before dinner. And after dinner is homework time.

So be patient--you may find your children don't develop deep friendships any more easily. Sorry if that's discouraging.

DD goes to a big school with tons of kids. It is really hard to have anyone over, even in 8th grade. Her best friends, the deep kind, are from church.

Think about making your home an attractive place for all those "new friends" to come to.

And give it time. If the only problem your kids have had in making friends is access to kids, then school will probably help, but most school kids simply don't have time in the day to develop past the acquaintance stage. That takes time at each other's homes. You will probably get a mixed bag, so to speak. Some will only want to come over and play if you have all the latest stuff, some won't. You'll know who's who.

Also be prepared for most kids to be in afterschool programs that will mean they simply won't have time to play before dinner. And after dinner is homework time.

So be patient--you may find your children don't develop deep friendships any more easily. Sorry if that's discouraging.

DD goes to a big school with tons of kids. It is really hard to have anyone over, even in 8th grade. Her best friends, the deep kind, are from church.

Absolutely agree!  My kids have been in school for 2 years now, and there aren't any deep friendships.  There are a couple here and there, but even then the interaction outside of school is limited.

I know now that the deep friendships are not forged in school, but in common afterschool activities.  My kids have not been able to take part in any, but I am working on a plan to make it happen this school year.

You didn't say what grades. It looks like 1st, 5th, and 7th.

The answer depends on your district. Check each school website. In my district, even though school is still in session a few more days, summer reading and other assignments are posted now. Next years required school supplies are also posted. You should be able to find the dress code as well. Do not do any shopping without these basics.

If school supply lists are not published get 1 notebook (spiral or binder with paper) and a couple of pencils for each of the older kids and plan on being at Target the evening after the first day. If there is a new student orientation before school starts plan on going. Get the lists then.

Another option is to call the school and ask about supply lists , summer homework, and dress codes. Do not shop without definitive lists.

Spend a lot of time looking at school and PTA websites. There should be activity information posted. The local middle school has a full line up of after school activities/clubs which are free. I know other places there are fees. The elementary school has a activities, but not everyday and they are not free. The websites will give you an idea if there are things for your dc to try extracurricularly and how much they costs. If the goal is friends I might plan on encouraging each child to try one after or before school club.

You might want to stock up at home for a few basic project supplies. You keep these around for those times when your child announces that he has a major project due tomorrow. Markers, poster board, modeling clay, one shoe box.

Yearbooks are ordered early in the year. By middle school the kids like to have these. You can decide if you want your dc to earn the money for it.

Be aware you may get a big push from your dc of "everyone has" . You can suggest that dc could get an item or two of these wants for birthday of Christmas. You can hold off on fully shopping for clothes and fill in during the year with styles the kids want based on what they see at school. With regard to cell phones--most middle schoolers have the. And in our experience if a child has a phone it is a smart phone. However, my dc have survived with basic phones that do voice and text.

I agree on checking your school's website, getting supply list. Be sure to check sales week by week if you want to save money. In our schools, the list was by grade and very specific, listing number of folders by color and so on. I found it helpful to stock up when Staples had its bargain sales, like free or low cost items with other purchase.

As kids get older, supply lists get less and less specific.

Your kids will probably need some kind of planners. Often schools print their own snd sell at a reasonable price -- get these if available.

Pore over your schools website now. Over the summer, old stuff can get removed, and there may not be much new info till next year.

Clearly label winter coats, etc. there may be a recess near lunch time, and kids will leave coats in a pile. Your kid may or may not remember to collect his/her stuff.

Find out about volunteer opportunities at the school. It's a fantastic way to meet people. Some jobs are quiet and low key, like library volunteering. Other jobs, like fund raising, are good for people who like groups. I would highly recommend getting involved. Some PTAs can be political, but there are usually lots if other opportunities.

Nowadays, many people wait until after school has begun to get new clothing, according to retail statistics. It makes sense -- you can see what kids are wearing.

At certain income levels, people can qualify for free or subsidized lunch. It's a Federal mandate. If you qualify for the lunch program, some schools will automatically subsidize field trips. Other schools have a policy that lets you ask for assistance confidentially, even if your income is above that for lunch subsidies.

Put parent teacher conferences on your calendar as soon as you find out the dates. Sign up as soon as sign up opens in order to get a convenient time.

In elementary, be prepared for holiday parties.

Check medical form requirements. They vary state by state and may require a doctor's signature in certain years. Allow time, as doctors get swamped.

If your kids have an special needs, start the process for getting help now.

Oh, I almost forgot. You may want to be prepared for endless handouts and fliers, if your school still sends paper copies. I have no advice on how to organize these. My happiest day was when my dc's schools began to send things electronically, lol.

Great responses so far. I won't buy supplies until the list is published. I taught PS many years ago, so I do remember that most schools have specific requirements on supplies.

Hadn't thought of needing multiple paid of snow pants and gear. But I guess that is reasonable.

We never needed multiple snow gear beyond extra gloves.The kids didn't go outside for recess that much in very cold or snowy weather. The district has weather-related policies about recess, and beyond that the individual principals could add to. They were very strict about snow especially, so not enough playing in it to ruin snow pants. I rarely even sent them to school.

Absolutely agree!  My kids have been in school for 2 years now, and there aren't any deep friendships.  There are a couple here and there, but even then the interaction outside of school is limited.

I know now that the deep friendships are not forged in school, but in common afterschool activities.  My kids have not been able to take part in any, but I am working on a plan to make it happen this school year.

I have found that my children (middle and high school age) have made friends in school through common school activities like sports and music.  My younger ones made friends with the children in their classes.  

I didn't read all of the replies but 3 things popped into my mind about extra expenses that I didn't think about before going to school. Birthday gifts--my children were invited to a lot of birthday parties.  Field trips sometimes cost money.  And after sports meals.  Seems every game all of the families went out to eat before coming back.  We didn't always do this because it does get pricey.  

I just want to echo this.  My two went to private school in 6th and 3rd grade, where most kids had been together since nursery school (we just moved to the area 2 years ago).  It is HARD to break into those established circles.  My older son is quite popular at school.  The principal talks about how he fits in, how everyone really likes him, etc.  He played on 4 sports teams at school.  I sub at the school so I have seen him "in action" and he has no shortage of guy friends and several girls were googly eyed over him.

However......

He was invited to zero friends' homes after school.  He was invited to zero parties.  Zero sleepovers.  And I know the kids are having them.  It is just really, really hard to develop these deeper friendships.  He is completely overlooked for these things I think because he is new. 

School supplies:  most schools now put out very detailed lists of school supplies so I wouldn't buy anything until that list comes out.  A lot of PTA groups put together the packs of supplies or have an outside company do it so you don't have to go hunting around town looking for a purple folder with metal fasteners and two pockets (the lists are that specific).

Summer Assignments:  make sure to check with the school to see if there are any assignments required to be completed over the summer.  Both of my kids were expected to have four book reports/dioramas/posters/projects/comprehension questions handed in on Day 1 and they were test grades for the middle school students.  They also were required to log in a certain number of hours on an online math program.

Homeschooling:  as a mom, please be prepared to have every single negative thing your child does chalked up to having been homeschooled.  Heaven help you if you have one that is quirky/talks too much/fidgets too much/gets out of his seat too much because it will always be homeschooling's fault.

Oh, I almost forgot. You may want to be prepared for endless handouts and fliers, if your school still sends paper copies. I have no advice on how to organize these. My happiest day was when my dc's schools began to send things electronically, lol.

We send things both ways. We CAN'T depend on everyone having consistent enough email access to receive the emails in time.  (I was the photocopier for the PTA copies this past year at my son's school).

I have a designated space on the bar for kiddo's school stuff I want to keep. Papers that couldn't be dealt with immediately went there. The rest was dealt with right away and sent back.

ETA: There were a lot of fundraisers of various sorts sent home. Sometimes I sent in a check to the school for $10 (max) instead of participating. Sometimes we bought something (ALways books from the book fairs. Those support our library and I LOVE the library and the librarian.) I try to get a T-shirt every year because I have found my son loves wearing his and seeing who else is wearing the same thing at the same time. He doesn't ask for other clothes like the other kids and this is a cheap way to make him happy and support the school at the same time. I have also just chosen to not participate and never had anyone say anything. Its particularly hard near the beginning of the school year when you get several of these fundraisers on your desk all at once. (The gym does one, the Scholastic book list, the PTA, etc.)

I have learned I need to have two coats at home. In case one gets left at school/lost. (Everything we have lost at school has eventually been found. But without an extra it means not having a coat to wear the next day just going to school! And once the coat was left behind the day before Christmas break!)

You probably also want to look for 1 or 2 all-white T-shirts at the beginning of the year. There seem to be needs for them that pop up over time and having one on hand would be good. -- For decorating for field day. For costuming/Under costumes for performances. And for a presentation costume.

Depends where you live.  Here, many public schools have uniforms…although usually it's stuff you can buy at Target or Walmart.  Some specify the color of shoes or types of shoes.

Backpack with no wheels.

School supply lists can be ridiculous.  Ziploc baggies, kleenex, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, paper towels….all that plus the typical pencils, loose leaf paper, etc.

Often they'll do school pictures twice to raise money, but you don't have to buy pics unless you want.   Class pictures and yearbooks are a separate fee.

Some sports or clubs can have additional fees as well.  If you can't afford them, sometimes the PTA sets up a fund to help.

One school we went to also had a voluntary workbook fee of like $30/semester.

The lists from last year might be still up on your school's website…so you can get an idea…but don't buy anything until closer to school. :)

I know this isn't what you asked, but my son has more friends now that he *isn't* in public school.  The teacher and students were bullies and he would go weeks without talking to anybody.  He's become much more confident and outgoing since we started homeschooling and is better at making friends.

Don't forget about homework. You will need to have a time and place for afterschool work.

I know this isn't what you asked, but my son has more friends now that he *isn't* in public school.  The teacher and students were bullies and he would go weeks without talking to anybody.  He's become much more confident and outgoing since we started homeschooling and is better at making friends.

Don't forget about homework. You will need to have a time and place for afterschool work.

I am wondering if we just need to give it more time.  A part of me feels like I'm giving up on everything we have worked so hard for in homeschooling.  We have had a rough couple of years with our move.  It has taken time to get back on track school wise.  But we did it this year. For the most part, we had a good year.  There is always something to tweak, but that is true of every school year.  

We have a few homeschooling friends, but they live in other towns.  No one the near the ages of our kids.  They all seem to be younger.  They are involved in sports (TKD).  Those kids mostly live in the town over.  Neighborhood kids are there, but those friendships are not developing.  My boys know no one in our neighborhood.  We've been in our house 2 years now.  Sad.  I'm not sure public school is the answer either. 

You'll get a list of school supplies and other items to send to school. What you'll need to send varies from one school to another and even one grade to another,  so I wouldn't stock up on those kinds of items until you have the list in hand. Seeing the total annual fees required to send multiple kids to public school can be a shock, so be prepared for that. If your kids will be in sports, band, or other extracurricular activities, the cost is even higher.

I just want to echo this.  My two went to private school in 6th and 3rd grade, where most kids had been together since nursery school (we just moved to the area 2 years ago).  It is HARD to break into those established circles.  My older son is quite popular at school.  The principal talks about how he fits in, how everyone really likes him, etc.  He played on 4 sports teams at school.  I sub at the school so I have seen him "in action" and he has no shortage of guy friends and several girls were googly eyed over him.

However......

He was invited to zero friends' homes after school.  He was invited to zero parties.  Zero sleepovers.  And I know the kids are having them.  It is just really, really hard to develop these deeper friendships.  He is completely overlooked for these things I think because he is new. 

School supplies:  most schools now put out very detailed lists of school supplies so I wouldn't buy anything until that list comes out.  A lot of PTA groups put together the packs of supplies or have an outside company do it so you don't have to go hunting around town looking for a purple folder with metal fasteners and two pockets (the lists are that specific).

Summer Assignments:  make sure to check with the school to see if there are any assignments required to be completed over the summer.  Both of my kids were expected to have four book reports/dioramas/posters/projects/comprehension questions handed in on Day 1 and they were test grades for the middle school students.  They also were required to log in a certain number of hours on an online math program.

Homeschooling:  as a mom, please be prepared to have every single negative thing your child does chalked up to having been homeschooled.  Heaven help you if you have one that is quirky/talks too much/fidgets too much/gets out of his seat too much because it will always be homeschooling's fault

The bolded is very true of our situation everywhere we go.  My kids seemingly fit in, but are never thought of beyond the activity. This is true of the whole family though.  I know it's b/c we are new to the area.  It's difficult to break into groups where friendships have been established for years.

For the record, my kids can not sit in a chair.  I'm sure that will be one of the first parent conferences or emails home.

I bought supplies that I thought they might need or that were on the supply list, but we didn't open them until they actually needed them, so I was able to return stuff after school started that they didn't actually need.  If you wait too long, the supplies sell out and you have a hard time finding the stuff, or you don't get the good back-to-school sale price.

I really don't think it is too much of a problem.  Buy what's on the school supply list.  If your child is in Elementary school think about buying a present for the teacher for Christmas.  (Middle and High Schoolers don't do this).  Plan on buying something or donating to the school fundraiser.  (We send $20  per kid.) We do not spend an overly much amount on clothes.  Just the regular we would spend on our everyday life, maybe a few more shirts.   My kids do not have cell phones.  If they need to call you, they can go to the office and call.  If there is an emergency be certain the school will contact you.  We do not spend an overly much amount on the "New fun thing" of the day.  I don't know.  Really, public school is often times cheaper than homeschooling because you do not have to buy the curriculum.

The most important things that I would do if the goal is to make friends is to go over "top ten conversation starters......."  How to be aware of what are good qualities in a friend.  If there is a club that your child is interested in, sign up!

And, advice to the mom, while there are "bad" kids at public schools, and these are the ones that parents like to gossip about, there are loads and loads of great kids at public schools.  (They just are not as "fun" to gossip about).  Try not to worry!  It takes time, but generally most kids can find a group to have fun with.

My kids have been homeschooled and went back to school and everything was fine.  Honestly, it was such a non-issue, no one really even seemed to care in our experience. 

Asking a group of homeschoolers this could get snarky...but probably not this group of homeschoolers. ;) (thrapy, self defense classes, tutors to fill in akl of the holes... ;) ). But seriously...when mine were in parochial school, we had to biy a bunch of classroom cleaning supplies, specific nonmarking shoes, very specific brands of markers, notebookd, etc, tons if class party and fundraising spending, teacher gifts, pay to play, etc.

I bought supplies that I thought they might need or that were on the supply list, but we didn't open them until they actually needed them, so I was able to return stuff after school started that they didn't actually need. If you wait too long, the supplies sell out and you have a hard time finding the stuff, or you don't get the good back-to-school sale price.

That isn't the case here. Walmart, Target, grocery stores, etc. all have supply lists for nearby schools next to their back-to-school sale items.

That isn't the case here. Walmart, Target, grocery stores, etc. all have supply lists for nearby schools next to their back-to-school sale items.

Our stores have the supply lists too, but I have found they are not very accurate. Individual teachers end up wanting the kids to have specific items that weren't mentioned on the lists.

2 things I would like to add for you:

1)  My kids went to ps after homeschooling.  Each has made one good, true friend but it has taken YEARS. 

2)  Fundraisers:  They are everywhere, at every grade level-we ALWAYS opt out.  I am 100% against them, my kids aren't salespeople for the schools.

They'll need a backpack to lug it all around.  Be prepared to fork out money and time for yearbook, school pictures, fundraisers (these can be mandatory in private schools), teacher holiday gifts, and school trips.

One other thing:  Kids who make friends easily will make them anywhere, and kids who don't, won't, anywhere.  Assuming your kids are exposed to potential friends, be prepared for a similar friend situation no matter where you are.

I think this is true of most kids and neighborhoods.  It takes a couple of years for really close friendships to develop, and if you move often, then it may be that the kids never build close friendships.  Kind of like being a military brat. 

ETA:  Are your children unhappy, or does your DH just think it's not good that they have no besties?  If your children are happy and have exposure to other kids and social opportunities, everything is probably OK with them, despite the lack of deep friendships.  FWIW, all through grade and high school, I had tons of school acquaintances and no really close friends.  I imagine someone, somewhere, felt sorry for me, but I was a really happy, well-adjusted kid and it didn't bother me in the least.  I did make very close friends in college (and still have them, 3 decades later), and I think that was because I was finally in an environment with people had similar interests as mine.  So I guess I wouldn't sweat it as long as your kids are happy and well-adjusted.

The bolded is very true of our situation everywhere we go.  My kids seemingly fit in, but are never thought of beyond the activity. This is true of the whole family though.  I know it's b/c we are new to the area.  It's difficult to break into groups where friendships have been established for years.

For the record, my kids can not sit in a chair.  I'm sure that will be one of the first parent conferences or emails home.