Menu

Please talk to me about Teaching Textbooks

MelanieM

I've been using it for three years. I REALLY love the self grading and the fact that it's zero work for Mom. I feel that it teaches in a way that kids understand.

The downsides that I see is that it does not have as much review as other math programs so if your child needs lots of review to "get" something they might be out of luck. Also I feel the program is a little slower then other programs. We use it a grade ahead.

It's a greatath program for those who are planning a liberal arts education or to not go to college. If your child wants to be a math/science major I would have concerns about using exclusively this program.

I use TT for my dyslexic son who struggles with math. I think (so far, we have used 3-5) that it is pretty light, but that is what my son needs. He striggles with the basics, so TT is a good fit for him. I don't think it's for kids who are very mathy and need to be challenged, but I think it is fine for an average or struggling student.

And now for a totally different perspective!  Teaching Textbooks- Got Standardized Test Results Back

Overall, I really like TT.  It has worked well to build my 10 yo DD's confidence in math.   She finished TT3 last fall and is halfway through TT4.   I've noticed solid improvement in her arithmetic skills over the course of the last school year, so it's definitely been effective.  

• TT uses a very friendly, unintimidating, down-to-earth approach. 

• TT teaches in small bites with constant review.  

• You'll need to add in your own facts practice outside of the lesson.

• TT repeats concepts from year to year, getting slightly more challenging at each level.  It explains things in the simplest possible terms the first time around, then in the next level up it explains it in a little more detail.   So, if a concept was introduced in TT3, I notice it repeated in TT4 but in a greater detail and with more challenging numbers.  I'm basing this on the two levels we've used.  I assume the pattern continues through all the levels.  

• This is not a "toss your kid the discs and you're done" program.  It's low-parental involvement, but not no-parental involvement.  You need to stay on top of how well your child is understanding the lessons.  DD does almost all of her lessons in the workbook.  This allows me to see where she's making mistakes, so I can help get her back on track.  I do step in from time to time and re-teach lessons that didn't click the first time through.

And now for a totally different perspective!  Teaching Textbooks- Got Standardized Test Results Back

Overall, I really like TT.  It has worked well to build my 10 yo DD's confidence in math.   She finished TT3 last fall and is halfway through TT4.   I've noticed solid improvement in her arithmetic skills over the course of the last school year, so it's definitely been effective.  

• TT uses a very friendly, unintimidating, down-to-earth approach. 

• TT teaches in small bites with constant review.  

• You'll need to add in your own facts practice outside of the lesson.

• TT repeats concepts from year to year, getting slightly more challenging at each level.  It explains things in the simplest possible terms the first time around, then in the next level up it explains it in a little more detail.   So, if a concept was introduced in TT3, I notice it repeated in TT4 but in a greater detail and with more challenging numbers.  I'm basing this on the two levels we've used.  I assume the pattern continues through all the levels.  

• This is not a "toss your kid the discs and you're done" program.  It's low-parental involvement, but not no-parental involvement.  You need to stay on top of how well your child is understanding the lessons.  DD does almost all of her lessons in the workbook.  This allows me to see where she's making mistakes, so I can help get her back on track.  I do step in from time to time and re-teach lessons that didn't click the first time through.

Yeah, and: Is Teaching Textbooks all through high school acceptable for good SAT scores and college prep?  

I would say not just "know your academic goals" but also "know your student".

A student who is currently struggling to understand math may be better off going to a less challenging course and building a  foundation so that they can succeed in college algebra or precalculus when they get to university than continuing on in a program that they aren't understanding and having to start in beginning algebra. This applies regardless of what they want to major in.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a student who wasn't already struggling, but the bite-sized chunks and less formal vocabulary may turn out to be a godsend for the student who needs it.

The math course that your student *understands* is much, much better than the more rigorous course that is over their head.

Thank you for all the fabulous posts! I am assessing my reasons, my kids' personalities, and we're going to work through sample lessons at various levels to see how the kids respond and what they retain. I really appreciate all this great feedback!

I would say not just "know your academic goals" but also "know your student".

A student who is currently struggling to understand math may be better off going to a less challenging course and building a  foundation so that they can succeed in college algebra or precalculus when they get to university than continuing on in a program that they aren't understanding and having to start in beginning algebra. This applies regardless of what they want to major in.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a student who wasn't already struggling, but the bite-sized chunks and less formal vocabulary may turn out to be a godsend for the student who needs it.

The math course that your student *understands* is much, much better than the more rigorous course that is over their head.

Yes!  I would also add "know yourself as the teacher" because we (homeschooling parents) are part of the equation, too.  I tried to teach/implement a nontraditional Asian math curriculum and it was a huge mistake here.  My personality, weaknesses, strengths, and experiences along with an oldest who is similar to me personality wise (whether it's genetic or environmental, I don't know!), well, such an approach was just not going to ever happen here.  And that experience worsened my math confidence and ability to teach it.  My dh is wonderful at math (private schooled and took calculus, trig., all that), but he doesn't have time to teach it.  That's up to me.  I feel confident that I can get my child ready for college level math (not having to take noncredit remedial classes) and that they'll be very successful having a wonderful foundation with TT.  That is much, much, much better than my public education ever did for me.