Menu

First Time K5 Homeschool Questions

Guest schooling

Guest schooling

Edit:  My daughter will be just turning 5 this month and starting K in the fall.  We did a bit of Abeka K4 last year and the cursive writing was difficult and the numbers part was very basic, not really math.

I've been recommend to do use the following:

Logic of English for reading & writing (probably will do)

Rightstart math (probably will do)

K12 History & Science, though it looks like these are all online so I don't really want to use these, but I like the content included in their K courses.  I wish I could find similar content in a workbook.

We are thinking about:

Bookshark "Kindergarten Science Package"

Steck Vaugn "Maps, Globes & Graphs" geography (though I'd prefer a broader social studies)

We are doing::

Spanish lessons in a small group but am also looking for a workbook for at home

Suzuki violin (private and group lessons)

Still not quite sure on continuing cursive, though we've been doing worksheets lately and the handwriting is better accepted than in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, your plan sounds great to me :001_smile:

My K'er this year will be focusing on Phonics, Handwriting, and Math. His printing handwriting is great, so not very worried there. He will start cursive probably in 1st grade after he can read well and print easily.  He reads fairly naturally so not worried there. He is great at math and loves it, so he will probably focus heavily on that. Anything else he gets is gravy.

He will be listening in on older sister's science, history, and Bible, so I'm sure he'll pick up some of that, but it's not a focus.

Not sure if you had a question, but what you are planning on doing is plenty, or even too much. Take your cue from him as you begin and have worked for a while. if it's too much for him, I would drop the history, geography, and most of the science. Hope that helps some :001_smile: