Menu

Potluck and dishes questionaire

Tohru

Potluck eating  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bring your own dishes and utensils to eat with at a potluck?

• Yes, this is expected
    • Yes, but only if asked to
    • No, they are always provided
    • No, we only eat finger foods
    • Other

I'd like to think that I am an experienced pot-luck attendee, as I've gone to quite a few as a child and now am participating in them as an adult.  Every one that I've attended, the host/ess has always provided the plates or something to eat off of and to eat with, Or some one has offered to bring the paper goods.

Recently I went to a pot luck and every one brought their own plates and utensils.  This was extremely awkward for us since we didn't bring any. It seemed it was a completely normal expectation to have your own, even though there wasn't a notice or anything about bringing your own stuff.  Is this normal?

I've seen that noted on some invitations, notably from a club we used to belong to. We never went to one that had us bring our own table service, but I've seen it mentioned. It would be a pain! How do I know whether I need a bowl, a spoon, knife? And keeping up with that stuff! I don't even know whether people bring disposables or regular table service. I guess people bring both.  

Yes, if asked.

It usually says on the invitation if they are provided or not.  If there is no mention of it, I assume the host is providing them. If I don't know for certain one way or the other, I take disposables and leave them in the car.  It is just a quick walk to the car if I need them, but isn't as awkward as walking in with them, if they are provided.  

The larger the gathering, the less likely they are provided.  A baby shower....I would expect them provided.  A church picnic where everyone is sitting with their own group on a blanket on the ground...I wouldn't expect it.

Just giving this a bump because I love these potluck threads. I have still never been to one, but I'd like to think I'm learning what to do in case I ever get invited to one. :)

If you want to experience Muslim potluck, Ramadan starts on June 28th or so this year.  Pretty much every Islamic community will hold potluck or community-welcome iftars at sunset.  Non-Muslims are always welcome.  You can even choose your community by the food you like…. there's great soul food, great Pakistani/Indian food, great Arab food.  Best is a nice mixed community because then you can totally find everything. :)

No…I didn't convert for the food.  Sadly, I grew up with a sheltered midwestern palate.   But now these days, some of the food would totally sway me. :)

If you want to experience Muslim potluck, Ramadan starts on June 28th or so this year. Pretty much every Islamic community will hold potluck or community-welcome iftars at sunset. Non-Muslims are always welcome. You can even choose your community by the food you like…. there's great soul food, great Pakistani/Indian food, great Arab food. Best is a nice mixed community because then you can totally find everything. :)

No…I didn't convert for the food. Sadly, I grew up with a sheltered midwestern palate. But now these days, some of the food would totally sway me. :)

Thanks!!! That sounds FUN!!! I'm going to check and see what's going on in my area. I'm sure I'll find something.

Thanks again! :)

Just giving this a bump because I love these potluck threads. I have still never been to one, but I'd like to think I'm learning what to do in case I ever get invited to one. :)

Oh, well, I'd have one just to invite you.  You can host one!  (just supply the plates and cutlery.)  Pick a park, say it's a potluck, invite people.  I always tell my eldest child that most people love an invitation to something, it doesn't matter what, especially in these modern times when community seems so disconnected.

My experience with potlucks is limited to the churches at which we have been members. Usually, I don't think to bring a serving utensil (although I think I might have once or twice), but we have never, ever brought anything beyond that. Certainly not dishes. Although, now I'm thinking about my American Girl doll (Kirsten), and her spoon bag, Very practical.

Even if it is finger food, plates and serviettes are provided by the host. The host or organizers have alway provided. Guests sometimes offer to bring and once a friend offered to supply plates/utensils/serviettes and drinks in lieu of food.

ETA:

I've never been to a camping potluck. Bringing your own utensils would make sense for a camping potluck.

My original vote is "They are always provided" but there is one group- a camping group that I visited with my late Grandmother- that everyone brings a side dish or dessert and their own entire place settings. Main dish (sliced ham) drinks and styrofoam cups are provided.

Some people set their table with placemats and everything liek they were dining with the queen, others used paper plates.

I have never heard of utensils and plates not being provided. 

I do tend to bring my own serving utensils for whatever dish I am bringing though.

I have been to a potluck or two where it was requested that one or two people bring disposable utensils or plates, but that's usually in an organized situation where people are signing up to bring specific items, and those are down for those people who really can't cook but want to contribute.

For years, I belonged to a group that had monthly and holiday potlucks where everyone brought their own plates, utensils, etc.  Those were the only potlucks I had ever gone to so I assumed this was the norm.  I decided to host a potluck one year and told everyone to bring their own plates, etc, and you would have thought I asked them all to bring me their first born.   :lol:  So I guess it's not quite the norm in all social circles.  :)

I guess if I was asked, I would bring, but I've never heard of such a thing.  Sometimes if the potluck is really organized and it's a picnic sort of thing, that's one of the things they ask one person or group to bring - the paper plates and plastic utensils.

Seems to me back in the day, long ago at a church we used to attend, we brought our own dishes, but it wasn't at someone's home; it was at the church itself. I still have four or five Tupperware divided plates that were designed for just that purpose. But it has been a very long time since we've had to do that. If we're going to a get-together with a group we haven't met with before, we take our stuff and leave it in the car until we see the lay of the land. :-)

I have probably been to over 200 potlucks in my life!  :)  Most of them, dishes are provided, but not always.  Sometimes we are asked to bring our own, and that's fine.  However, even at those, paper plates are available in a pinch.

I have been to both.  If it is a smaller gathering hosted by one or two people table service is usually provided (or is one of the potluck items someone signs up to bring).  If it is a larger gathering hosted by a large group or organization (soccer team party, family reunion potluck) table service is usually either one of the potluck items someone can sign up to bring or there is a note to bring your own dishes included with the invitation.

Depends on the potluck.

Homeschool group potluck at the park - yes, absolutely. We each bring reusable dishes and silverware because we want to avoid creating waste from disposables. Everybody brings reusable water bottles as well.

Potlucks at a person's house - no. Host provides plates, cups and utensils - after all, they have a stocked kitchen in the house. We bring just bring some food to share.

I hate disposable dishes. It is really no big deal to bring real plates for one's own family.

I would expect a hosted potluck (like at a church, a scout group, or someone's Memorial Day party) would provide dishes unless otherwise specified, and that a less organized potluck (just a random gathering at the park or something) would be bring-your-own-dishes unless otherwise specified.

I'd like to think that I am an experienced pot-luck attendee, as I've gone to quite a few as a child and now am participating in them as an adult.  Every one that I've attended, the host/ess has always provided the plates or something to eat off of and to eat with, Or some one has offered to bring the paper goods.

Recently I went to a pot luck and every one brought their own plates and utensils.  This was extremely awkward for us since we didn't bring any. It seemed it was a completely normal expectation to have your own, even though there wasn't a notice or anything about bringing your own stuff.  Is this normal?

We occasionally go to one where service isn't provided, but they are very clear about that in the info. Someone always has extras on hand for families that forget or don't know.

For our homeschool group potlucks for the most part, everyone brings their own (I usually bring extra in case anyone forgets).  We sometimes have them at a church that allows us to use their plates, etc.  If I were going to one at someone's home, I would expect they would provide these items.  

When I was a kid, our church had frequent potlucks and you were supposed to bring your own place settings. My mom bought a set of plastic dishes - high-rimmed plates and matching mugs, with a little holder for the mug on the plate - in a rainbow of colors. (It was the '70s. Also, at these potlucks, Jell-O went in the salad section.)

We don't have pot lucks here and I'm wondering, do people bring whatever they want to a potluck, or is there some co-ordination as to the dishes that get brought?

Here we have 'bring and braai' which translates to bring and barbeque.  The hosts will provide a fire or grill and people bring their own meat or vegetarian dish to barbeque.  You also provide your own drinks.  At someone's home, the host provides dishes and cutlery, but if it is held somewhere else, you bring your own.  In some cases the host provides side dishes and deserts, in others this is also co-ordinated and everyone brings something different like a salad, potato dish, desert etc.

We don't have pot lucks here and I'm wondering, do people bring whatever they want to a potluck, or is there some co-ordination as to the dishes that get brought?

That depends.

Sometimes there is coordination and people get specific "assignments" ( desert, salad, side dish...).

Sometimes main dish/meat is provided and guests bring side dishes.

Sometimes people announce what they will be bringing, and everybody tries not to double a dish.

Sometimes it is completely random ;-)

Definitely not anything I've ever experienced, and I've been to lots of shared meals -- potlucks and otherwise.

I will offer this tip, though: Our church has an annual Fall Picnic, where the main dishes tend to be soups and chili. One brilliant guy recognized that it's really hard to sample all those soups and chilis, because you're either juggling a bunch of bowls, or having to make several trips through the line, and had this solution: bring a muffin tin to the picnic. Each compartment holds enough for a good sample, and if you don't like something, not much is wasted.

Lots of people do it now, and it's even mentioned as a suggestion in the announcements in the weeks leading up to the picnic.

Never heard of it. It's weird. Camping is the exception because you'll have that stuff with you anyway. Aside from that, who carries a place setting with them????

Maybe its a leftover from earlier days when no one typically had enough plates for large groups (or places to store them) but paper plates, if available, would have been outrageously expensive. So if people want to get together, everyone brings the plates, etc they would have been using for their meal anyway and they enjoyed the community

Maybe its a leftover from earlier days when no one typically had enough plates for large groups (or places to store them) but paper plates, if available, would have been outrageously expensive. So if people want to get together, everyone brings the plates, etc they would have been using for their meal anyway and they enjoyed the community

I think I actually like the idea. You don't generate all that trash, the hostess isn't left with piles of dishes, and you get to eat off real plates. Also, my DH and kids all have this fingernails-on-the-chalkboard reaction to styrofoam squeaking, so that's eliminated.

Still, I've never HEARD of this before this thread. I've heard of hostesses borrowing place settings for a crowd, but have never in my life been asked to bring my own. Is this a regional practice that doesn't exist on the East coast?