Menu

It isn't a Final Transcript without a specific graduation date?

Blue Hen

I sent in DS’s final transcript on May 30th.

Called Admissions on the 6th to make sure they rec’d it since it was still marked as not done. The woman I spoke to noted that it was rec’d but stated that it takes about 10 business days for them to process the transcript into the system. She said I just needed to give it more time but that it was there and it looked fine.

Called Admissions on the 13th since the task was still marked as not done. I was advised that the task would change to done over the weekend. The transcript was there and it looked fine.

Called today, the 17th, since the task is still not complete. I got ‘Kristi’ who informed me that while the transcript was there, and even though it had grades through the end of 12th grade it lacked the words, FINAL TRANSCRIPT, and a specific graduation date.   Surprised by this I was then told, “Well, I am telling you this now.† Kristi was not in a good mood or maybe she just does not care for homeschoolers not knowing all these little rules.  The transcript form was the same one I used for older DS for U of DE and they accepted it.

I have a package for admissions; a copy of DS’s diploma and a new transcript with large letters at the top, FINAL TRANSCRIPT---GRADUATION DATE: May 30, 2014. 

UGH.... almost finished.

C

Has anyone else needed the graduation date on the transcript?    I also didn't know any colleges would need that and will need to submit dd's soon.

Yes! I was told in person by an admissions officer at Berkeley that my son's final transcript needed 3 things:

-- date of graduation

-- signed by me

-- submitted in a sealed envelope

That's all it needed to be "official" (although following other people's advice on this board, I also have the words "Official High School Homeschool Transcript" on it).

BTW this was in contrast to another UC, which asked for more documentation (even having another document notarized!) for an independent homeschooler submitting a transcript ... That's why I made a point at Berkeley of asking, "So -- I can just print out my son's transcript at home, sign it, stick it in an envelope, and you'll take it?!" The answer was yes, if it was sealed and contained the date of graduation.

Both my dc's transcripts had graduation dates on them.  I think this is a very common requirement--just like you often need to have a projected graduation date on the transcripts you submit for college applications.  I used the same box for mine on the transcript:  it said, for example, Graduation Date:  May 17, 2013 (projected)  up until May 17 passed and my dc had actually graduated.  Then I just removed the (projected) part.

Now, needing the the words "Final transcript" is a new one to me!! Ugh.  :glare:  Thankfully, neither of my dc's colleges required that.

Crikey. What did UC want notarized?!

This was UC San Diego, and they wanted the PSA (private-school affidavit) notarized. Submitting a homemade transcript would be okay if it was accompanied by the notarized PSA. (If you're in CA you'll know what that is! :) )

If you'd like more details I'd be happy to share. I wrote about this more extensively in a CA-centric thread. It took a bit of discussion (between admissions office and me) to get to that point ... the UCSD admissions officer said that even though they had over 89,000 applications this year (how is this even possible?!? yowza!), they didn't have a single independent homeschooler enroll last year (how is that possible?!?).

Yep, we got a call from dd's chosen college, that we needed a FINAL transcript which included the date.  I never thought about that, and I believe I just wrote June 2013.  If I did actually chose a day, it was a random date.

Additionally, I've received great advice here on the boards to make copies of the FINAL transcript, sign them, and put them in a few different locations so that your student will always be able to locate a copy.  I could contact my school district 30 years later for my high school transcript. My kids won't have quite that same option!

I had a month and year and it wasn't good enough for our public university! I needed to choose a day. It also had to say 'homeschool' in the title even though everything else implied it was homeschool (descriptions etc.).

I'm happy to report that as of a few minutes ago my DS To Do LIst no longer had *Final High School Transcript* listed!  Sometime between this morning and noon the status changed. That makes me wonder as to why it changed but they still will receive an updated transcript with the words Final Transcript, Graduation Date May 30, 2014 and Final GPA. 

I have several copies of my boys transcripts in safe places so if they ever need one they should be able to find one. Several times in my *working* career I had to supply my college transcript but I can't remember a time I needed my high school transcript.

C

This was UC San Diego, and they wanted the PSA (private-school affidavit) notarized. Submitting a homemade transcript would be okay if it was accompanied by the notarized PSA. (If you're in CA you'll know what that is! :) )

If you'd like more details I'd be happy to share. I wrote about this more extensively in a CA-centric thread. It took a bit of discussion (between admissions office and me) to get to that point ... the UCSD admissions officer said that even though they had over 89,000 applications this year (how is this even possible?!? yowza!), they didn't have a single independent homeschooler enroll last year (how is that possible?!?).

I'm not surprised. I have met few homeschoolers who are independent filers of a PSA since moving here. As someone who has not come up in the CA system, it can be a bit surreal.  I have often been in conversations that go something like this: Where do your kids go to school? We homeschool.  Oh, what school are you with? 

I'm in a local area FB group for homeschoolers.   I think of a couple dozen families, only 2-3 are independent filers.

I've mentioned in other threads the assumption I encountered with the local CC that "homeschool" means "using a Home School Program through a County Department of Education Program."  The High School Special forms my son is filling out are written such that it is clear they don't really conceive of independent homeschooling as an option.

Though I confess I don't get what notarizing the PSA achieves. The form I have printed has the date submitted and the confirmation code from the state. Notarizing it only confirms that the signatory is who they say they are, not that they have done any homeschooling.  Shrug.