Menu

Rat gave birth in my car

Liz CA

I'm so impressed that you guys took the babies out.  I would have had conniptions.  I found a dead rat as I was weeding the yard yesterday and I had the shivers for a good twenty minutes.

Same here!  I reached my hand into the gutter once (thought there was a tennis ball or something blocking the water) and touched a dead rat.  I was traumatized for an hour afterwards.   :ohmy:

When I read the title I thought, "What an odd nickname for a daughter".  Then, after reading, you really were referring to rats.  I empathize.  I didn't have rats in my car. However, it was carpet bugs.  We bought the car used and for the past three years around May, they would appear.  After a month, it would seem they were gone.  Took the car in to be detailed.  Found out there were larva in the tracks of the removeable seats. The guys who detailed wore hazmat suits.  Gross!  No problem since. 

Well....dh summed it up best. We ought to call a shrink and have our heads examined.

Mama rat never came back the second night. Now we are bottle nursing the pups (2 died) and right now there are 5 left. My initial count was wrong - there were 7 originally. MercyA linked a site about feeding rat pups. At age 6 weeks (if they are still alive) we can release way out in some orchard and then they can live their rat lives whatever that means.

Neither dh nor I could kill or let starve something so little and helpless.

We have never had to bottle feed something this small. If any of you have thoughts on this, you can PM me. There are some people here who gag reading the title.

:)

I kept hoping for an update, too!  You and your husband are seriously wonderful.  It can be difficult to raise such little babies, but it sounds like you are doing everything you can.  It's good to know the babies are warm and fed!  What you are doing reminds me of the story of The Star Thrower:

"Once, on ancient Earth, there was a human boy walking along a beach. There had just been a storm, and starfish had been scattered along the sands. The boy knew the fish would die, so he began to fling the fish to the sea. But every time he threw a starfish, another would wash ashore.  An old Earth man happened along and saw what the child was doing. He called out, 'Boy, what are you doing?'  'Saving the starfish!' replied the boy. 'But your attempts are useless, child! Every time you save one, another one returns, often the same one! You can't save them all, so why bother trying? Why does it matter, anyway?' called the old man. The boy thought about this for a while, a starfish in his hand; he answered, 'Well, it matters to this one.' And then he flung the starfish into the welcoming sea.â€

Well....dh summed it up best. We ought to call a shrink and have our heads examined.

Mama rat never came back the second night. Now we are bottle nursing the pups (2 died) and right now there are 5 left. My initial count was wrong - there were 7 originally. MercyA linked a site about feeding rat pups. At age 6 weeks (if they are still alive) we can release way out in some orchard and then they can live their rat lives whatever that means.

Neither dh nor I could kill or let starve something so little and helpless.

We have never had to bottle feed something this small. If any of you have thoughts on this, you can PM me. There are some people here who gag reading the title.

:)

Oh my goodness, you have such kind hearts. I hope you manage to save them.

How are the babies?  (And how can you give them up after you raise them?  I think you need some new pets!)

I am sorry I have to report that we are down to three. Two died this morning. They did not want to eat much last night...this morning they refused food altogether.

The remaining three seem rather active, so I hope they'll make it. We will have a feeding tube by tonight and this may make eating more comfortable for them.

Wild rats don't make good pets or so the websites say that I have consulted. At about 6 weeks, they can be released. I think I can do it. I don't really want to keep anything that was meant to live in the "wild."

Ah, I am so sorry you've lost some babies.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Please don't feel badly.  Even wildlife rehabbers have difficulty with the really tiny ones.

I once tried unsuccessfully to save a baby bunny brought home by my cat. :(  My home is surrounded by acres of farm fields, woods, and grasslands, so the nest could have been anywhere.  I was comforted by the fact that the bunny was at least as warm and as comfortable as I could make her.  She wasn't being torn apart and eaten by a predator. She had a little food in her tummy.  She didn't appear to be suffering.  You do what you can.  

Bless you for caring for them.     

We raise puppies. Some suggestions I have and you may already be doing this is one keep a heating pad under the pups. They need to be very warm. Also feed them very slowly. Don't try to force feed them.  They aspirate very easily. Another don't feel badly if they don't make it. It is very difficult to keep animals this young alive. Bless you for trying.

I would have got a new car... My DH and I are both terrified by rats. That being said, we live on a lake in south florida and rats happen - often. When I was pregnant with my toddler we had a rat in the house!!! We put out a sticky trap with peanut butter and laid in bed listening for about an hour... The rat got stuck and what ensued for our disposal of the rat, included a pregnant me peeing myself a little, a cooler, and my husband throwing up... So yea, we don't like rats. But, Peanut butter attracts them quickly and easily.