Menu

Reliable Midsize Car?

MomtoCandJ

I'm looking for an affordable Midsize car, my faithful 2002 Ford Taurus is about to hit the dust (literally), and instead of paying a few grand to fix it completely we are just fixing it enough to hopefully get me through until March (tax refund).

My must haves:

4 door

Cruise control (is this standard now?)

Front wheel or all wheel drive

Automatic

Decent sized trunk

Good gas mileage (25 mpg or better)

I currently have two '03 Ford Foci.  We've been super-happy with them.  Everything on your list, including mileage above 30mpg.  However, I realize they're considered a "compact" rather than mid-sized, though, so you might just go up to a Ford Fusion.  My aunt and uncle bought one about the same time we got the first Focus, 6 years ago, and have been happy with it, too.

Personally, I tend to lean "domestic" for the simple fact that they depreciate a little better, but are still rock-solid cars so long as you do your homework.  People still have this idea that Honda/Toyota are better somehow, so they are willing to pay more. 

I'm not. ;)

My 2010 Prius meets all of your criteria.  It replaced our minivan, and while there's obviously a big size difference, it's our family travel car.  My family is tall, and my kids easily fit into the back seat.  My son is 6', 220 lbs.  I usually drive--I'm 5'8", and he sits behind me and has plenty of legroom.  We packed the four of us in with all of our luggage for a week at the beach, and all four of us went when we moved my dd into her dorm room last year, including all of her move in stuff.  I get 55 mpg, and my car runs on gas and built in battery; it does not plug in (lol, saying that because a lot of people think it does).

And here's my zinger.  My husband's Mercedes C230 would be considered a midsized four door sedan. But my kids much prefer the comfort and space of my back seats--and I have more trunk space. 

we are dedicated Honda owners here.  My first car was an '86 Civic. Loved it, replaced it only after it died a nasty death in 1999.  My husband is pushing 350,000 miles on our 2000 Civic.  My 2003 Pilot runs like a top and has about 130,000 miles.  They LAST!

You want reliable right? That is usually going to get Toyota and Honda mentioned, a lot.

My 2005 Toyota Camry is closing in on 160k and had never needed anything serious fixed. Just general wear and tear. Same thing for the 1999 Corolla we had before (that car is still in use by the person who got it after we upgraded). I expect another 50k from it without breaking a sweat.

We've never taken our cars to the dealership for repairs. We either use an independent mechanic or just do the routine stuff ourselves. We are not really that handy, we just follow the guide and watch videos if we have a question.

Hmm any more votes for American made? We have only Chevy, Chrysler and Ford dealers in our area, I don't want to drive or have the car towed over 1.5 hours just to get something fixed

I second the Honda CR-V.  We also are 2+ hours from the nearest dealership.  We bought ours new and it never needed a repair while under warranty.  But we were told that if it did, we did not have to bring it to the dealership.  It could be fixed locally.  We have had it for 10 years now and have had to have routine work on it and it was no problem finding someone local to do the repairs.  The only time we have to go to the actual dealership is if it is recalled for any reason.  This has happened once.  It was not a life-or-death kind of recall so we arranged to have it fixed while on vacation in a town that had a dealer.

Oh.  Maybe I should add a plug for "reliable."  

We've put 150,000 on Focus 1 (it's nearly to 200K).  We've replaced the main fan, shocks/struts, tires and oil.  

That's it.  I'm shopping for yet another Focus (considerably newer than the other two) or possibly a darling little Fiesta. ;)

Focus 2 we've only put on 30K so far (140K total), so all it's had is tires and oil.  My aunt and uncle's Fusion has had similar work and my uncle just said they're nearly to 200K as well.  

Truly, my folks have always owned Ford cars, too, and I can't think of a one they've ever had any real issue with.   They currently have an Explorer which is why I haven't mentioned them.  

Like I said, for me, it's purely about cost.  If you're buying brand new, you might want to go "import", as price will be fairly comparable across the class, but retain a higher trade-in when the time comes.  But if you're buying used, I always suggest domestic for the simple fact that I don't want to pay for perceived value.  

Twenty years ago, imports were hands-down a better car.  But now?  Not really.  However, dealers are still banking on that perception.  

My favorite site for comparison and reviews is Edmunds.

My dmil has a 2011 focus that she likes and she has driven fords for the last 20? years. My problem is that I can put the miles on a car (a little over 15,000 per year if you average what I have now and how long I've had my Taurus). When we (as a family) go any where, it's my car we use.

In my part of the world, 18-20K per year is average.  In rural areas you have to drive to access pretty basic services.  

Personally, I'm around 25K...

PS:  My 14 year old has a 34" inseam and rides in the backseat with no complaints, provided he's behind the passenger and they aren't clear back.  For a "compact" it's pretty roomy.

Ok now dh is putting his 2 cents in... He doesn't want me driving a "tin can". We do have a lot of deer and I've hit one with my car (only hood damage is noticeable, we replaced a headlight and the grill). So it needs to be sturdy and decent in snow (which to me means front or all wheel drive). So no little smart cars or anything with a short front end :)

Ok now dh is putting his 2 cents in... He doesn't want me driving a "tin can". We do have a lot of deer and I've hit one with my car (only hood damage is noticeable, we replaced a headlight and the grill).

That's true. I posted above about my Prius, and I do worry an awful lot about deer, to the point of avoiding long highway driving at night just because of that reason. ::shiver::

It doesn't help that the deer are coming from one of the dozens of corn fields in the area. The deer I hit was 3 miles from home and she was running across from one corn field to another. Thank goodness dh was behind me in his truck, said deer provided dinner for a while :)

Ok now dh is putting his 2 cents in... He doesn't want me driving a "tin can". We do have a lot of deer and I've hit one with my car (only hood damage is noticeable, we replaced a headlight and the grill). So it needs to be sturdy and decent in snow (which to me means front or all wheel drive). So no little smart cars or anything with a short front end :)

a van/truck/suv with awd and a front end grill.   I have awd in my minivan.  I've hit a goose (took a piece out of my bug shield), a squirrel and a few opposums (they are incredibly stupid.  why did the chicken cross the road - to show the opossum it could be done.)

You want reliable right? That is usually going to get Toyota and Honda mentioned, a lot.

My 2005 Toyota Camry is closing in on 160k and had never needed anything serious fixed. Just general wear and tear. Same thing for the 1999 Corolla we had before (that car is still in use by the person who got it after we upgraded). I expect another 50k from it without breaking a sweat.

We've never taken our cars to the dealership for repairs. We either use an independent mechanic or just do the routine stuff ourselves. We are not really that handy, we just follow the guide and watch videos if we have a question.

Our Toyota Corolla has 179,000 miles on it and we've had almost no repairs on it. My mom's is still going strong at 320,000. Definitely compact though.

It's not a sedan, but I love my Ford Escape. It is a 2002 with 175k miles on it and still runs well. I did have to replace the compressor last year, but otherwise no major work. We've had a Focus before too and loved it. We would still have if dh hadn't had an accident and totaled it. (I don't recommend rear-ending a dump truck in it.)

a van/truck/suv with awd and a front end grill. I have awd in my minivan. I've hit a goose (took a piece out of my bug shield), a squirrel and a few opposums (they are incredibly stupid. why did the chicken cross the road - to show the opossum it could be done.)

Nope don't want any of those. I hate all vans with a deep passion (I've driven all of the ones my mom had/has and no, not gonna happen). SUVs to me are gas hogs and more then what I need and I drove Dh's truck while my car was being fixed, let's just say a 3 door extended cab truck with a child in a booster seat and one in an infant seat doesn't make it easy for a short mom :)

it was about something that would withstand hitting a deer.

Nope don't want any of those. I hate all vans with a deep passion (I've driven all of the ones my mom had/has and no, not gonna happen). SUVs to me are gas hogs and more then what I need and I drove Dh's truck while my car was being fixed, let's just say a 3 door extended cab truck with a child in a booster seat and one in an infant seat doesn't make it easy for a short mom :)

Although not a sedan, the Ford Escape is a solid choice.

While not American made, based on all of your criteria I would look at something in the Subaru line - sturdy, well made and generally good in inclement weather. They are typically easy to get work done on them with local mechanics.

I was going to suggest a Subaru as well. I have never owned one, but as I understand it, they are reliable, good in the snow, and I believe they're supposed to be quite safe, too.

Maybe you should go to the crash test websites and check out their safest picks for the past several years to see if any of those cars appeal to you. At least it would give you a solid starting point.

It seems you're anti-SUV, but between my husband and I we've hit 3 deer in the past 3 years (or maybe it was 4?) and the Pilot seems indestructible.  His Civic did okay with one too, but he was only going about 35 mph. We live in a VERY deer-heavy area, so these accidents are par for the course, I'm sorry to say.  The CR-V would be a nice in-between; my sister has one and she's been pleased so far.  But, they are not domestic (although--aren't many 'foreign' cars made in the USA these days??  I know BMW has a facility near my Dad's house.....I think some Hondas are also made in the US now). 

Here's a dozy of a question.... are crossovers much bigger than a car? I would consider one of those if they aren't too big. I'm short and my hang ups about those other vehicles is their size :) my backing up abilities are not the best and a larger vehicle throws me off (and yes while I had Dh's truck I avoided backing up when ever possible :d)

crossovers tend to be minivan-sized...and get comparable mileage.  To me, those are both deal breakers. 

To the deer concern, I'd search head-on crash tests in the cars you're interested in.   Friend of mine has hit THREE deer (mule deer, so they're BIG) in her Chrysler 200.  (their mid-sized sedan)  It's become a running joke.  

She's finally gotten to the point where she has the bumper just zip-tied on.  lol  

Here's a dozy of a question.... are crossovers much bigger than a car? I would consider one of those if they aren't too big. I'm short and my hang ups about those other vehicles is their size :) my backing up abilities are not the best and a larger vehicle throws me off (and yes while I had Dh's truck I avoided backing up when ever possible :D)

Many of the "crossover" SUVs (like CR-V, Escape, RAV-4) are really more like station wagons than SUVs or trucks.  For many years I drove both a CR-V and a Sable, both older.  I can say I had better visibility, both forward and back, in the CR-V than the Sable.  The newer CR-Vs are even more car-like than the older one I currently drive.  I hate driving bigger cars, vans, and trucks, but I really feel comfortable in the CR-V.  It is nimble, like a compact car, but just big enough in a station-wagon sort of way to fit people and groceries easily.  It does very well in the snow.  I think it would be similar for any "crossover."  But really, any front-wheel drive car with good tires is going to be fine in the snow.  We drive on snow/ice covered roads for about 6 months every year and I olive on a VERY steep hill so I really roll my eyes when people say they "need" 4WD.  I am sure there are situations in which it really is ideal, but if I can drive a front-wheel drive car in the conditions I face with no problem, 99.99% of Americans should be able to.  I find ABS far more necessary than 4WD.

Also, from a gas mileage standpoint, my CR-V and the Escape (both of which we researched during our last car hunt) get better mileage than the Subaru Outback.  We get about 30 mpg highway.  For comparison, this is the same that we got with the Sable and our current Toyota Camry.  I cannot really fairly report a city mileage because we have sort of unusual weather and terrain circumstances that make ALL cars get really bad mileage.  I hope we will see all of the numbers go up int eh next few years.  There is really no excuse for the poor mileage that new cars get today.

I currently have two '03 Ford Foci.  We've been super-happy with them.  Everything on your list, including mileage above 30mpg.  However, I realize they're considered a "compact" rather than mid-sized, though, so you might just go up to a Ford Fusion.  My aunt and uncle bought one about the same time we got the first Focus, 6 years ago, and have been happy with it, too.

Personally, I tend to lean "domestic" for the simple fact that they depreciate a little better, but are still rock-solid cars so long as you do your homework.  People still have this idea that Honda/Toyota are better somehow, so they are willing to pay more. 

I'm not. ;)

I don't know if I got a lemon or what, but the '03 Ford Focus I had was a nightmare.  Everything broke on it that could possibly break.  The ignition wouldn't turn if you took the key out.  All the struts (I think that's what they were?) broke for no apparent reason and the tires wouldn't stay in alignment.  The driver's side door handle broke when I just tried to open it once.  The trunk lock never worked right and would only close about half the time.  The dome light wouldn't shut off randomly when we had it on the auto setting and would drain the battery.  And it only had about 30k miles on it when I bought it back in '04.  Finally, at about 80,000 miles, the transmission blew so we sold it for parts because it was worth less than the cost of a new transmission.  Never, ever again.

My brother is rebuilding an older Civic for me now.  From what I've heard and my brother has told me, you can't beat Civics for reliability.  

Many of the "crossover" SUVs (like CR-V, Escape, RAV-4) are really more like station wagons than SUVs or trucks. For many years I drove both a CR-V and a Sable, both older. I can say I had better visibility, both forward and back, in the CR-V than the Sable. The newer CR-Vs are even more car-like than the older one I currently drive. I hate driving bigger cars, vans, and trucks, but I really feel comfortable in the CR-V. It is nimble, like a compact car, but just big enough in a station-wagon sort of way to fit people and groceries easily. It does very well in the snow. I think it would be similar for any "crossover." But really, any front-wheel drive car with good tires is going to be fine in the snow. We drive on snow/ice covered roads for about 6 months every year and I olive on a VERY steep hill so I really roll my eyes when people say they "need" 4WD. I am sure there are situations in which it really is ideal, but if I can drive a front-wheel drive car in the conditions I face with no problem, 99.99% of Americans should be able to. I find ABS far more necessary than 4WD.

Yeah, I've gotten my car out of the drive way where dh had an issue with his truck in 4 wheel drive. We have a hill up to the road that gets buried in snow when the plow trucks go through.

one thing to remember - you can do all sorts of car shopping online, see what features are appealing to you, but you really need to actually drive it.  I recall years ago, there was one car we were planning on buying, and saving towards - then we drove it in 'average' conditions.  okay, time to find something else.

I remember when nissan stanza was repeatedly hyped as a cheaper version of the toyota camry, and was "better". (so said the manufacturer)   I drove both - the stanza was a total slug in the way it handled.  our extended family is on its third camry.  they handle well and are roomy.  the corolla isn't too much smaller, has fewer features but better mileage.

I'm very short and we just bought a new CR-V a few weeks ago.  I was a bit worried about reaching the back hatch when it's open, but I have no problem at all.  Or reaching anything else.  It's very comfortable for me to drive, and it has a back-up camera.  Unless all your driving is short trips around town, I think you'd get at least 25 mpg.  I haven't driven mine enough yet to get a really good idea on that, but it has an average mpg display, and so far it's staying right around 23-24 mpg and I DO quite a bit of short trips/around town driving.  Just a little driving on the interstate (or even back roads w/o a lot of stopping/starting) seems to boost the mpg quickly.

Our other CR-V is a 2001 with over 195,000 miles on it.  We've had to replace the radiator and a brake sensor, but that's it other than routine maintenance.  Oldest DS will, be driving it to college in August.  We figure it's still got quite a few reliable miles in it.