Menu

From Rightstart C to Beast Academy 3A or Singapore 3A

My 7 year old is finishing up Rightstart C and we need to switch to a curriculum that introduces various topics a bit faster than Rightstart.  I think Rightstart is a wonderful program and Rightstart B was a GREAT foundation for him.  However, he is a bit advanced with math, and I notice that he is getting bored a bit.  I've added in Singapore's CWP and that has been a good challenge for him.  I'm trying to decide should we just move to Singapore 3A, Beast Academy 3A or use both.

Does anyone have any experience moving from Rightstart to one of these?

Thanks for any advice.

Which CWP was he using?

Did you give a placement test? That's what I did when I changed programs.

He's using CWP 2.  Rightstart is a bit weak with word problems, so this is a good change for him.

I wasn't as concerned with the level.  I should've been more clear.  He's already taken the Singapore placement test, and tested into level 3A.  I guess my question was how was the transition from Rightstart C.  And I was curious to know if others had transitioned from RS to BA or Singapore or even both.  I like to hear about others' experiences.  I'm thinking about starting with Singapore and then adding in BA a little later.

BA 3 is harder than SM 3 for the most part. My oldest did fine jumping from RS C to SM 3. BA wasn't around at that time.

DS started BA 3 towards the end of SM 3. He's now doing SM 4A along side BA 3C & 3D (we jump around in BA because I'm using it to review & extend material introduced in SM and therfore I want to stagger the topics so they're not too close together).

DS finished up RightStart C a few weeks ago and we are also looking at BA & Singapore. I went ahead and ordered BA so we could start with something fun for the summer. We're only a week in, but he's definitely not bored :D I'm still trying to decide which parts of Singapore I should order, but I think it will be good to have something different to break things up a bit and to review more traditional math.

We are using BA3 as a supplement to Horizon 4. It's very I depth and advanced, in my opinion. But it doesn't cover all the concepts of a regular 3rd grade with review and drill like a regular program. I wouldn't use it as a stand alone. I'd use both.

My dd8 did RS C the beginning of the year along with MUS Gamma, then we switched to using BA with MUS.   She's done very well.  I think your son will be fine with BA (or both, though I have no experience with SM).  I definitely think you should get BA if your kid is math inclined.  My daughter didn't even like math, but she is enjoying BA.

• 3 weeks later...

We are RS devotees. :)  But I am also willing to recognize the value of other programs like MEP, BA, Hands on Equations, etc, as supplements to the very solid grounding that RS provides children.

For my oldest, BA didn't exist when he was going through RS C and D.  But during RS D year, I feathered in HoE and MEP to slow down his pace and undergird him with having several other presentations of math challenges.  It worked like a charm.  We did level E and then moved to Art of Problem Solving Pre-A feathered with another round of MEP and that was great.  He's still mid-AoPS/MEP7 right now.  

With my second child, things went differently.  We did BA 3A and 3B between RS C and D with my DD who isn't particularly math-savvy but definitely isn't behind.  It was a great fit.  She needed a change of pace, though, after working through the 3A and 3B because it starts to get very distracting with all those conversations and colors (she's an extrovert, so I think she was focusing on the personalities, the relationships, the outfits and their styles MORE than the math itself ;).  After working in RS D through lesson 133 for about 8 months, when it gets more geometry heavy, I asked her if she'd like to pop back into 3C and 3D, since we had them sitting on the shelf, for a change of pace.  She was elated at the idea.  So I asked her to re-read 3B comic book (that's what we call it) and then she'll hit the ground running with 3C this coming week when our new school year begins.  HTH.  I think it will be a fun break and will reinforce her skills from RS C and D before she wraps up the last few lessons in D and moves to E.  I don't know whether I'll invest in BA 4 at all;  I was looking last night at the S&S and comics, but . . . I have awhile to determine what's best :)  If I did it, it would be, again, as a pace-break from RS E and not for instruction per se but more for reinforcement.  Again, HTH  

DS went from 2/3 of the way through RS C into BA 3A. We worked 3A-3D slowly (took 12 months). I am going to have to switch after 4B, and my plan is to go to Singapore (my other kids use/used it), and I wanted to make sure he could switch easily so I gave him CWP 3 to work through this summer to help him with the Singapore approach. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily be has been completing CWP. BA rocks :-)

Do most people use Beast Academy as a supplement? I'm trying to find the perfect supplement to MUS for my math-inclined child and was considering BA. Currently we review with SM, but it seems a bit much. I thought maybe BA's cartoony presentation would make a nice change and review.

No, I don't use it to supplement. It is complete, and the problems take a lot of mental energy and pull together multiple arithmetic skills in deep ways. Some people may think you want to add in some drill sheets - not me! but some people have mentioned it.

This isn't the kind of math you can teach with a lesson. My son works mostly independently with it. It is self teaching, it's just the star and double star problems he sometimes comes to get help working through. Once in a while he rushes and forgets to read the worked example, and as soon is we read through it together he is good to go.

We went from finishing RS A (and a few lessons of RS B ) to Singapore without a problem. I don't remember what level of Singapore we started with after RS A (one of mine started with 1A and is finishing 2 now, the other has finished 3b), but it was an easy transition because the manipulatives pictured in Singapore were just like we used in RS (place value cards, for example) or used in the same way (pictured) that we used actual RS manipulatives.