Menu

Confused by.

acsnmama

Some people are better socially in environments other than home. I have friends who love to have people over, I don't tend to be an entertainer. I prefer home to be my personal refuge. If I get together with friends I like to do it in restaurants, coffee shops, parks and so on. I was also thinking about this and realized that even though I'm a bit more social to be considered an introvert, I would be frustrated with being stopped while out on a walk with my dog. 

I was thinking what I would do if I was walking and a neighbor I didn't know well stopped me to ask me over for tea and cookies. I'd probably mumble "oh okay...thanks" and just want to keep on going. I'm in a zone when I'm out with my puppy.

I also am also not the type to just go up to people's houses and start initiating contact. Because if someone did that to me, I would feel really awkward. Most friends I meet through mutual friends or acquaintances. And even my closest friends still call or text rather than pop in.

Some people have open door policies on their home and maybe their time. Other people are more private and reserved or do better with a core group of friends. 

I think the homeschooling factor is a bit what makes it confusing. You would think we would stick together, but I know from IRL that sharing homeschooling does not mean that there would be anything else in common to facilitate friendship.

These are my thoughts. When she's walking, she's either on the phone or walking with another woman in the neighborhood. Her kids are always far ahead of her, and keep moving on before she catches up, so honestly, I haven't had opportunity to say a formal hello.

I think dropping a note, etc are nice gestures, but I too would feel very awkward about that.

The only strange thing here is, we have talked before, her husband remembered us no problem, so we do have the basis of, "hi, do you remember me?" I would imagine her husband has told her about running into us.

So with that said, I honestly haven't had opportunity to say anything, other than congratulating her in the doctors office when I spoke directly to her, but didn't receive a response (I wasn't trying to make small talk). I guess I'm not sure we'd click anyway.

I don't want to assume anything, I was just confused.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm just going to let it be for now, to be honest, I feel mostly bad for my kids, not me, they're always asking play with her kids whom they know by name. I just explain that I don't know they're Mom.

Thanks again for the advice!

I wouldn't be too sure the DH said anything. I know a lot of husbands who say nothing to their wives and wives who don't share info with husbands. My own DH can have a long conversation on the phone and I can ask how so and so are doing..."oh they're okay." Really---you had a half hour conversation to just learn they are okay?

I've also known of husbands who didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned something their wife said to me. I chatter on to my own DH about everything under the sun!!! :)

Do you know her phone number or if she's on facebook? You can mention the kids and invite them over to the backyard for a get together? Or invite them for a meet up at the park? 

Sometimes we moms have to put ourselves out there to facilitate get togethers for children.

If she acts as though she has no interest or desire for her kids to play with yours...well, then you know. I personally would be excited to have a homeschool family that wanted to be friends on my own street.