Menu

Meningitis vaccine

LatinTea

Some colleges will allow exemptions, but you have to check with them.  Here, kids in school are required to have the shot starting in 7th grade (I think).  We slightly selectively vax and delay, but both my 14 year old and 12 year old had that shot.  My 14 year old has a history of vaccine reactions.  She didn't so much as run a fever or have soreness at the site with that one.

T just got the meningitis vaccine at her 11 yo well child check/camp physical. I was willing to risk it because she is going away to a 2 week summer camp this year. In general, we delayed her vaccine schedule a lot, but I felt the benefits definitely outweighed the negatives for this shot. She was fine, not even any soreness.

This is one that we get.  No reactions.

When my son was a toddler he had a lovely, beautiful, young speech therapist who worked with him.  She also worked in a nursing home, and also waited tables.  Just a total doll.  She went home for Thanksgiving and went to bed one evening with a bad headache.  She died the next day.

And that is why we don't skip the meningitis vaccine. 

We don't skip that one either.  A few months into my freshman year of college, a friend down the hall in the dorm died of the type of meningitis that is now prevented by the vaccine.

Our ped doc is very respectful and doesn't push vaccines at all, but he encourages that one.  And I didn't argue!

Both of mine had a sore arm for a day, otherwise no problems.

Thank you for all the replies! My husband is undecided on getting this vaccination for her. I needed some encouragement to help him understand how important this is. She has an appointment tomorrow to get the shot; now I just need to discuss it with him tonight. Thanks again!

Dd's college doesn't require it, but suggests it.  She got it -- it seems like a very sensible vaccination to us.  She had a sore arm.

On the other hand, her college needs all of her mumps vax records, along with getting a current booster.  Yikes, I absolutely cannot find one of them from years ago, even after calling the state records office!  So we're going to be getting ANOTHER booster on that one next month so we can prove she's gotten enough of them.  (The same thing happened to a friend of ours -- they eventually discovered their old dr. had been sending the records to a different state for some reason, so apparently weird stuff happens.)

Only MMR is the only immunization required for Mines.  Menningococcol is recommended but can be waived, which ds did.  Is that the same thing?  Y'all are scaring the bejeezus out of me.  :eek:

Menn... is not required at all for Florida K-12 PS.

It's not usually required for day schools because meningitis is most contagious in close living quarters. A lot of colleges require it. The best you can do is research it, compare your own pros and cons and make your decision. There's no one answer, just the best answer for your family.

Ds11 just got it, because he's going to summer camp and we live in a low-vax area. He got the Tdap booster as well. He was out-of-sorts the next two days (cranky and tired, but no fever), but it's hard to sort out which vaccination caused the symptoms. Otherwise, he was fine.

Dd just switched doctors (too old for a pediatrician), so we had the records forwarded from the old dr. to the new.

She went in for her college physical and they did all the college paperwork, including the vaccination record. The college had a fit about her vaccination record -- she was short one shot and would need a booster. :confused1: Thankfully we remembered that she DID receive this shot at some point, so dd phoned the pediatrician to see if they had a record of it and somehow the record just didn't make it onto the proper sheet. Well, apparently the record of that particular shot, which was her most recent one, was on the last sheet faxed and either they didn't send it or the new doctor didn't receive it or it got lost in transmission, but somehow the record got LOST! Yikes!

This was just a vaccination that she could have redone, but what if the missing record had been something more significant? So keep good records!

My guys have had it (no problems) and there's no way I would skip it.  My cousin almost died from it... he was in the hospital for a little bit and for the first day (maybe two) it was touch and go.

Meningitis is too quick with symptoms that can be fatally ignored, esp by a busy college student, plus, it's relatively common - too common.  Just think about how many here have "close" personal experiences with it.  It's not worth the risk IMO.  Fatal is forever.

I have one dd who has not had it and is attending college. She has had multiple serious reactions to multiple vaccines and has a medical exemption to a couple of them. She will never have another vaccine again in her lifetime unless it is given forcibly. Since this one was not a requirement (not living in a dorm), we didn't even consider it. My others have all had it with no problems.

My DD, 11,  just got it this past April, along with tetanus and chicken pox.  No reactions to the Meningitis.  However she did get a mild case of chicken pox - about a dozen sores.

I am very careful about vaccinations because of the allergies both my mom and I have.  At the age of 20, I got my last tetanus shot, because that one almost killed me (I'm now 50).  I kept going in and out of consciousness and couldn't support my head.  It was like someone broke my neck. The shot site swelled to the size of a baseball and had huge white blisters all over it. It was extremely painful.  I was told I should never get another tetanus shot because I had a 50/50 chance of the next one killing me.

I had never previously had a negative reaction to a tetanus shot.  This just hit me out of the blue. That's why I'm so careful about shots. 

I purposely held off on DD getting the chicken pox shot hoping she would get them naturally (I never purposely exposed her so she would get them though).  However, I didn't want to wait too long, so DH and I decided that if she didn't get them naturally by the age of 10, we'd go ahead and get the shot.  (I got them at 16 and was covered inside and out for 3 weeks!) Low and behold, she finally gets the shot and is the 1 in 10 statistic who actually gets the active virus from the shot!

So, while I sometimes feel like I'm playing Russian roulette with shots, I do try to be logical about them and weigh the benefits against the potential dangers.  Having a reaction like mine is rare, but it's possible.  Knowing that both my mom and I have these types of reactions just makes me more cautious.

My guys have had it (no problems) and there's no way I would skip it.  My cousin almost died from it... he was in the hospital for a little bit and for the first day (maybe two) it was touch and go.

Meningitis is too quick with symptoms that can be fatally ignored, esp by a busy college student, plus, it's relatively common - too common.  Just think about how many here have "close" personal experiences with it.  It's not worth the risk IMO.  Fatal is forever.

This is why it's not one I'd skip.

My daughter came back from college with mono and severe GI issues. She lost 20 pounds over the course of the semester (and was petite to start!). We're still dealing with rounds of medical testing. When she went to the doc at school, they told her that it was just stress and maybe a little seasonal depression. When college kids aren't feeling good, it's so easy for them to just chalk it up to stress and overworking.

This isn't a vaccine that I'd skip.

Then again, we have no issues with vaccines, because my kids travel outside the US, to places where many diseases are still problematic.

Then again, we have no issues with vaccines, because my kids travel outside the US, to places where many diseases are still problematic.

I guess this is us too since my guys also travel elsewhere.  This year middle son added typhoid and yellow fever to his vacc collection.  Both had some side effects, but those are certainly better than the diseases.

But even without all that, for anyone without known major vacc issues, I'd never recommend skipping the meningitis vacc.  One doesn't need to travel to "exotic" places to get that.

We just got back from the doctor's. She got the vaccination and had 3 vials of blood drawn (she is being tested for hair loss). Other than a sore arm (I would have a sore arm too!), she is fine. The hardest part was fasting for those tests especially since we were forgotten in the waiting room. The computer didn't know we were there! I had to go remind them that we had been sitting for 30 minutes and my daughter was feeling a bit yucky from no food. Anyway, it's done and I'm glad that's over. :-)

I am assuming most here went ahead with getting this immunization for their child. Any adverse reactions out there? Anyone NOT get it and still able to attend college? 

At my son's college, the only required immunization is Hep B (state law for state schools), and even this can easily be waived.

They *recommend* others, including meningitis.

We just got back from the doctor's. She got the vaccination and had 3 vials of blood drawn (she is being tested for hair loss). Other than a sore arm (I would have a sore arm too!), she is fine. The hardest part was fasting for those tests especially since we were forgotten in the waiting room. The computer didn't know we were there! I had to go remind them that we had been sitting for 30 minutes and my daughter was feeling a bit yucky from no food. Anyway, it's done and I'm glad that's over. :-)

Glad there was no problem from the vacc.  Best wishes for (good/fixable) news regarding the tests.

I guess this is us too since my guys also travel elsewhere.  This year middle son added typhoid and yellow fever to his vacc collection.  Both had some side effects, but those are certainly better than the diseases.

But even without all that, for anyone without known major vacc issues, I'd never recommend skipping the meningitis vacc.  One doesn't need to travel to "exotic" places to get that.

Sadly, this is increasingly the case for whooping cough and measles.  Especially in areas with more transient populations who travel to areas with lower rates of vaccinations.  When we first arrived in town here, there were notices up in the place we buy groceries that a man with measles had recently been in the store.

Here the MMR (or proof of immunity) is required and it is also required that the student be educated about meningococcal meningitis.

You have to comply within 30 days and if you don't you are withdrawn from the college.

We did get the meningitis vaccine with no problems.

How is it that states have various exemptions (religious, personal, medical) and we can use those for secondary school but aren't allowed to use them for colleges? That doesn't make sense. We don't vax. Period. Not starting a debate here. But those exemptions are in place for a reason and should esp. be honored at state-funded colleges/universities. :/

How is it that states have various exemptions (religious, personal, medical) and we can use those for secondary school but aren't allowed to use them for colleges? That doesn't make sense. We don't vax. Period. Not starting a debate here. But those exemptions are in place for a reason and should esp. be honored at state-funded colleges/universities. :/

Are you sure they don't have those exemptions at state/public colleges?  I honestly don't know, but I would expect they would.

Found this on Penn State's website...

Exemptions from Requirements

Students can request an exemption from the immunization requirements if there is a medical contraindication or if religious or philosophical belief prohibits immunizations. A request for exemption can be submitted by email to Nancy Lambert, RN. Please include your PSU ID#, date of birth and campus information in your email. Please note that students granted an exemption will be notified in the unlikely event of a measles and/or mumps outbreak and will have the option of receiving a vaccine at that time or will be advised to leave the Penn State campus until the outbreak is over. Requests for exemption for the meningococcal vaccine must be submitted through Penn State Housing.

This is from Penn's website

Exemptions from requirements:  Students may be exempted from the immunization requirements if there is a medical contraindication or if religious or philosophical belief prohibits immunizations. A signed statement indicating specific medical contraindication from a Medical Doctor, Osteopath, Nurse Practitioner or a Physician's Assistant is required for medical exemption. Students with religious or philosophical beliefs that prohibit them from immunization must submit a signed Declaration of Religious or Philosophical Objection form. This form may be requested by contacting the Office of Immunization Compliance. If the exemption includes meningococcal vaccine, the Meningococcal Waiver must also be submitted. The Online Student Health History and TB screening form still must be completed.

Here is Carnegie Mellon"s Policy:

Request for Waiver

·         A student may request a waiver from any vaccination for medical reasons or if vaccination conflicts with personal or religious beliefs by contacting UHS.  If an outbreak of contagious disease occurs, the university reserves the right to ask students who have not been vaccinated against that disease to leave campus until the outbreak is over.

My daughter waived getting it for her freshman year but now you all have me freaked out. Can blood test be done to check for immunity? She's had some vaccinations.

Titers could be helpful in determining whether or not to get another MMR, or Varicella booster (or if there was question of undiagnosed disease history of either or both).  Titers can also be helpful for ensuring adequate Hepatitis B immunity from the primary hepatitis B series for health care workers, dialysis patients, or others with high potential exposure risks (because if titers are not adequate the recommendation is to repeat the three dose series). However, if you're asking about checking titers before getting one of the meningitis conjugate vaccines, I don't think this would be helpful.  It would be very unlikely for your child to have bacterial meningitis that presented so mildly that no medical attention was sought and the diagnosis was missed.  Additionally, even if your child did somehow have adequate immunity to one of the N. meningitidis serotypes the vaccine would still provide protection against the other three.

The quadrivalent menigitis conjugate vaccine [ie. Menactra or Menveo in the US] protects against the A, C, Y, & W-135 serogroups of Neisseria meningitidis.  Current ACIP/AAP guidelines recommend immunizing with an initial dose at age eleven or twelve and then a booster at age sixteen.  If you wait until after age sixteen to immunize then you do not need a booster dose unless you have an underlying medical problem (ie. sickle cell, asplenia, terminal complement deficiency, etc) that necessitates recurrent boosters.

In the interest of full disclosure, none of the meningitis conjugate vaccines protect against all serogroups (just like the 2nd generation Prevnar vaccine only protects against thirteen strains of Strep. pneumoniae and the Hib vaccine only covers the serotype B of Hemophilus influenzae) so we still see bacterial meningitis even in fully immunized children.  We just see a lot less of it and better outcomes among those infected  than we did before we had these three vaccines.  As a physician and a parent I see that as a good reason to immunize but I accept that others may have a different perspective.

At UC Berkeley, for example, only Hepatitis B is 'required,' and it can easily be waived (i.e., you don't request a waiver, you just do it).

Hepatitis B Vaccination: Condition of Enrollment

The California State Legislature has mandated first-time enrollees at the University of California who are eighteen years of age or younger to provide proof of immunization against Hepatitis B as a condition of enrollment. If you will be under 19 on August 28, 2014, you must comply. 

If you have a medical reason for not being immunized:

• If you have a medical reason for not being immunized complete section #4 of the Hepatitis B statement form and mail the form as above.

If Hepatitis B immunization is against your beliefs:

• If Hepatitis B immunization is against your beliefs, read and complete section #5 of the Hepatitis B statement form and mail as above. Note that if the student is 17 or younger and not an emancipated minor, this section must be signed by parent, guardian or emancipated minor.

•  

I've heard of colleges (not necessarily in California) requiring more vaccinations for students living in close quarters (student housing), but we haven't heard anything about extra requirements beyond Hep B. We vax, but have friends who vaccinate selectively or not at all, and they haven't had any problems in CA or WA.

This thread has been chilling me all week.  I really wish a vaccine had been available to my 5yo brother, who passed away from meningitis in about 24 hours 8 years ago.  He was lovely, blonde and fun.  His family dr saw him that morning and thought it was a viral "thing".  He is still gravely missed.  In fact, I'm crying again now.

I just looked it up; it looks like the meningococcal vaccine is not normally given before age 12 or 13, with a booster before college or military service.  

This is not one I could ever skip, and I hope you won't skip it, either. 

This thread has been chilling me all week.  I really wish a vaccine had been available to my 5yo brother, who passed away from meningitis in about 24 hours 8 years ago.  He was lovely, blonde and fun.  His family dr saw him that morning and thought it was a viral "thing".  He is still gravely missed.  In fact, I'm crying again now.

I just looked it up; it looks like the meningococcal vaccine is not normally given before age 12 or 13, with a booster before college or military service.  

I'm very sorry about your brother.  Hugs to you (and to your parents---we also had a daughter who died young and life is forever altered, it just is).

Although infection can certainly happen at any age the two peaks seem to be infants < 6 months and adolescents. Menveo and Menactra can both be given to kids less than a year and there is also now a combination N. menigitidis/Hib vaccine that can be given as part of the regular childhood immunization series. Unfortunately since the peak incidence for infants is before 6 months of age before three doses of the vaccine could be achieved, and because more than half of meningitidis cases in younger children are serogroup B which is not included in the vaccine the vaccine, as it currently is, isn't very useful for immunocompetent healthy younger children in the US.  Incident data for adolescents since the introduction of Menactra and Menveo tell a very different story.   ACIP basically came out and didn't recommend using Menhibrix for routine vaccination but did recommend it for higher risk children (asplenic or functionally asplenic, complement deficiency, HIV +, etc) or for those planning to travel abroad (especially in Africa).  On the positive side, I think we will see a serogroup B vaccine (which the FDA did authorize for use without approval for two different campus outbreaks in late 2013 and early 2014) being approved in the US relatively soon.  This will likely alter the ACIP guidelines again (but for good reason, and will hopefully save lives).

:grouphug:   I'm sorry.  It must have been very tough on everyone.

Yes, there's definitely a reason I'd think the Meningitis vacc is worth it even if some others aren't.  This one is just too common and too deadly.

Boy! IS this timely!! My 19 year old (starting college in Fall) just had his shot 2 days ago, I was very apprehensive about it, have always denied any 'additional' vaccines because we had an issue when he was 2...he received three shots at once, by his pediatrician, they put all three shots in one arm, which is what many believe caused our problem....but before he received them he was speaking and had a vocabulary of around 20-25 words, 5 hours after the shots he ran a 105 fever for 3 days...he lost what speech he had until he was 3.5!! He had gibberish talk..it really scared me but I knew he was still our bright kid, he understood everything I was saying and played relentlessly with dinosaurs and had fun...at 3.5, his speech came back in spades...like he'd never had an issue...sure it's anecdotal, but enough for me to be highly alarmed with vaccines...

So, son had to get meningitis vaccine on Tuesday, about 5 hours later he began to go downhill, fever and he felt achy/crampy all over...flu feeling he said. He went to bed and the next day stayed on the couch the entire day..could not get up...weak/sore/fever...today he is doing better, but geez...not liking effects these 'vaccines' have on this particular child! My other kids never had issues...he's still on the couch but I have been able to get him outside for a few minutes...but it wore him out..fever is gone...he's a competitive rower so he's highly active...just not like him to be taken down so easily at 6'3 and in top shape...ugh! Would I do the vaccine if I didn't have to, for this child, NO...for my others..probably wouldn't be a problem.

Our doctor recommended that my daughter get this vax some time before she starts college, so we haven't gotten it yet. But this thread is making me wonder if we should go ahead and get it now. I need to do some more reading about this, and maybe call my doc and ask some more about it. What a terrifying disease.

Our doctor recommended that my daughter get this vax some time before she starts college, so we haven't gotten it yet. But this thread is making me wonder if we should go ahead and get it now. I need to do some more reading about this, and maybe call my doc and ask some more about it. What a terrifying disease.

It really is terrifying - because it is so quick.  My cousin was totally fine one day, feeling ill (like the flu) and decided to go get checked out - then ended up in the hospital fighting for his life.  He got there soon enough, but if he had decided to try "sleeping it off" to see if it got better on its own the next day (like I, and many others, would have) he'd have died.

I'd guess because K-12 education is a requirement, so they have to find a way to allow those that don't vax to still get an education. College isn't a requirement, nor a right. So they don't have to be accommodating. 

I'd guess because K-12 education is a requirement, so they have to find a way to allow those that don't vax to still get an education. College isn't a requirement, nor a right. So they don't have to be accommodating.

Colleges have exemptions. I haven't found one without exemptions. I don't think this poster did any research before posting her rant. She just figured it was true and posted. Or just wanted to start a debate.

It really is terrifying - because it is so quick. My cousin was totally fine one day, feeling ill (like the flu) and decided to go get checked out - then ended up in the hospital fighting for his life. He got there soon enough, but if he had decided to try "sleeping it off" to see if it got better on its own the next day (like I, and many others, would have) he'd have died.

I'm so glad your cousin is okay. That's what's so scary - that combination of how quick it is, and how the symptoms can be easily mistaken for something not so serious. I have an appointment to get my daughter vaccinated next week.

I made sure my daughter got this vaccine when she started college, even though she was living at home, because there had been a recent outbreak and the doctors all over the news were practically begging students to get vaccinated. It put my mind at ease.

so he didnt feel well. BIG DEAL. And now he is protected from amputation, deafness and DEATH from a virulent sepsis.

Yes, for some of us it is a big deal. My dc are fully vaccinated, but for one child it was a big deal every time that he recieved a vaccine. He reacted to several vaccines just as the pp described (minus the speech loss ). Sure, the side effects are better than contracting the illness vaccinated against, but bitchy comments towards those who have considerations when vaccinating are uncalled for and unhelpful.

Yes, for some of us it is a big deal. My dc are fully vaccinated, but for one child it was a big deal every time that he recieved a vaccine. He reacted to several vaccines just as the pp described (minus the speech loss ). Sure, the side effects are better than contracting the illness vaccinated against, but bitchy comments towards those who have considerations when vaccinating are uncalled for and unhelpful.

Just so you know, I'm almost always pro-vacc, but I whole-heartedly agree with you...

I feel for those who have to make judgment calls - esp for dangerous diseases - with vaccs.  It can't be easy.

so he didnt feel well.  BIG DEAL.  And now he is protected from amputation, deafness and DEATH from a virulent sepsis.

Often reactions get worse each time, and being that lethargic after a vaccine IS something to take seriously. Not saying it wasn't worth it, but it is something to keep in mind when most vaccines require multiple doses. 

so he didnt feel well.  BIG DEAL.  And now he is protected from amputation, deafness and DEATH from a virulent sepsis.

I hope this nasty reply made you feel better, because it certainly didn't help anyone else.

Vaccines are a very individualized decision for each family to make. Dh used to work at a world famous children's hospital and we had access to some of the best pediatric immunologists available to discuss our vaccine questions/plans. Not one of them ever responded to us as snidely as the above quote, regardless of whether they agreed with our ideas or not. A little restraint and civility would have gotten your point across much more effectively, calandalsmom.

We have chosen a selective vaccine schedule and did include the meningitis vaccine after discussing it with our family physician. As I have mentioned previously, our considerations were likelihood of exposure, severity of the disease, and potential effects of the vaccine. This was one where the severity (and quickness) of the disease far outweighed the downside for us. FTR, dd had no adverse reactions, but so far she never has shown any related to the other vaccines we chose either.