Menu

Poll: Favorite Introductory Spanish

Favorite Introductory Spanish?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite introductory Spanish course/curriculum?

• Rosetta Stone
    • Power Glide
    • Duolingo
    • Mango
    • Getting Started with Spanish
    • Switched on Schoolhouse Spanish
    • Spanish for Children
    • La Clase Divertida
    • Other (leave comment)

We're just starting ourselves, so I didn't vote.

Dd and I really enjoy Duolingo, but it doesn't actually teach the grammar and wouldn't make a good solo course. We play with it when we're stuck on the pool bleachers, bored in a line, etc.

I've been working through Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish on my own, and she often jumps in and works along with me for the fun of it. This is an excellent resource to have on your shelf even if you don't work through it. I paid a whopping $7 for it at Half Price Books.

The Fun Spanish is what DD will work through herself this fall. She'll be in 4th grade, and is working at a 5th-6th grade level across the board. I'd like to have her in Spanish for Children, but I worry about her getting mixed up since she's been using Latin for Children with the same format. Perhaps for 5th grade.

I added in La Clase Divertida to the poll, I had come across it recently and my dd10 begged me to get it after watching the video samples.  We are going to try it out for our first Spanish year.

Has anyone else used it before or know about it?

All my kids (ages 3-10) watch La Clase; only the 8yo and 10yo do the workbook and crafts. They all love it and it is a super easy way for them to learn a bit of Spanish. It is a great fit for my family, but I think a 5th grader could easily go through 2 levels in one year. That would be quite expensive. On the other hand, there is no rush. If she is excited about it, that is great motivation.

We LOVED Getting Started with Latin. If GSWS is similar, I think it would work nicely alongside La Clase. La Clase doesn't get into much grammar in the first level, so GSWS would supplement that. La Clase would cover the spoken component that is missing from GSWS.

Last year my 6th grader did GSWS orally with me (we aren't quite done, actually), and she did Allinonehomeschool's Easy Peasy Spanish 6th grade independently.  It was a nice combo (and a 5th grader could easily do it).  I'm going to have her continue with Easy Peasy's 7th grade program and add in Duolingo next year, and then I have Madrigal's and Easy Spanish Step-by-Step.  Not sure how it will all fit together yet, but that's what I'm planning for her 7th grade year.

My rising 3rd grader will use The Fun Spanish.  I think in 4th grade I'll start her with the GSWS/Easy Peasy combo.  Easy Peasy 6th grade is easier than Duolingo, so I want her to do that first.

I've been working through Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish on my own, and she often jumps in and works along with me for the fun of it. This is an excellent resource to have on your shelf even if you don't work through it. I paid a whopping $7 for it at Half Price Books.

My daughter used Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you both for mentioning this, never seen it, looks great!

All my kids (ages 3-10) watch La Clase; only the 8yo and 10yo do the workbook and crafts. They all love it and it is a super easy way for them to learn a bit of Spanish. It is a great fit for my family, but I think a 5th grader could easily go through 2 levels in one year. That would be quite expensive. On the other hand, there is no rush. If she is excited about it, that is great motivation.

We LOVED Getting Started with Latin. If GSWS is similar, I think it would work nicely alongside La Clase. La Clase doesn't get into much grammar in the first level, so GSWS would supplement that. La Clase would cover the spoken component that is missing from GSWS.

This is good to know, thank you!  I haven't received La Clase yet but I will probably flesh it out a bit with some other things, thanks!

You guys who used Madrigal's - what grade level? And how did you use it - did they do it orally, written, both? Independently or with you?  TIA!

I had my daughter working through parts of the book when she was in 8th grade.  She did it independently.

Regards,

Kareni

You guys who used Madrigal's - what grade level? And how did you use it - did they do it orally, written, both? Independently or with you? TIA!

All of the above? I write out what I feel is important and all exercise sections in a notebook for myself. DD/8yo (precocious/advanced) has used it randomly, but isn't necessarily working straight through it. She does some sections orally with me when she sees me using it or I come across a part that's good for her. Sometimes she'll snuggle up with it reading aloud on her own. The deeper I get into it the more I think I'll have her use Madrigal's after she finishes The Fun Spanish.

I originally bought Madrigal's Magic Key to accompany Paso A Paso for my high schooler this fall, and it ended up being much more palatable for my prep-for-fall studies. :)