Menu

5th Grade History

I wanted to do a full year on American history for 5th grade using Notgrass America the Beautiful, it just looks really good with all the primary sources and timelines included in the program.  However, I also want to do another cycle of the Ancients - Modern again but I don't see how we could keep on schedule to repeat it again in high school if I do a year of American history.  Then, I came across K12's Human Odyssey and it seems to be the perfect solution, let me know what you think:

5th grade - Notgrass American history

6th grade - Human Odyssey 1

7th grade - Human Odyssey 2

8th grade - Human Odyssey 3

It seems like it will work but I'm torn between this plan and just following the WTM plan with an encyclopedia, but I could easily do both probably.  Do you think we really need a full year on American history?  The only reason I want to do it is because I really love how the Notgrass one is laid out and I want to try and fit it in.  However, we have spent a lot of time throughout the SOTW on American history with extra books and videos - so maybe I'm just blinded by the look of the curriculum.  (We will still be finishing up SOTW 4 this year, won't start 5th grade history until after Thanksgiving)

My dd10 doesn't care either way, she says she knows American history because of Liberty Kids videos - opinions please!

I would absolutely do it. Definitely. I split up American history from world history because doing so lets me put the focus on the rest of the world when we study world history. Using your plan above, you can use next year to delve into the rich, interesting details of American history. Then when you get to your HO years, you will not feel the need to supplement American history extensively like you did when doing SOTW. Instead, you can supplement with detailed resources about the rest of the world. Truly, this is one of the best decisions I've ever made for our school. 

I would absolutely do it. Definitely. I split up American history from world history because doing so lets me put the focus on the rest of the world when we study world history. Using your plan above, you can use next year to delve into the rich, interesting details of American history. Then when you get to your HO years, you will not feel the need to supplement American history extensively like you did when doing SOTW. Instead, you can supplement with detailed resources about the rest of the world. Truly, this is one of the best decisions I've ever made for our school. 

Wow, I didn't even think of that.  That has been one of my issues while we are finishing up SOTW - I want to stop and delve into American history and that has gotten us "behind" from my original schedule.  If we had the whole year to do AH, then you are right - I wouldn't feel like I need to take so much time off to supplement when we get to it in HO.  Thank you for your input, sometimes it just takes someone sharing a tidbit of advice to calm my doubts!