Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW24

Robin M

Saw this. This is so me. I love smelling books. in fact, one of my dearest friends and I barely knew each other until we went to a bookstore and realized that we're both book smellers. She was a closet smeller and was always rather embarrassed about it, whereas I was very open and out there. We got quite a few funny looks in the bookstore. To this day, we laugh about that :lol:. 

ca7c642ef9ae3ccc74ff84c01fe03ef1.jpg

Oh dear!   I guess this is where I come out of the closet and admit that I am a book smeller, too!  But this is not a good thing.  If a book smells musty or has an old book smell I will not read it  cause I just can't  get past the smell.   I know,  pathetic. 

Another corner, edge, color island type.

The puzzle discussion led me to think of my very wise mother who would set up a puzzle during the winter months.  She would place one of those folding card tables somewhere with two chairs.  We would often sit in silence and work on the puzzle, but I realize now that she was creating a comfortable and safe place to talk with her daughters one at a time. 

My in-laws do this.   I always  like the atmosphere that this evokes--calm, cozy, peaceful.  I have always wanted to do this in my own home but, in answer to Stacia's  question,  I am not a puzzle-put-ter- together-er.  I do not have the persistent gene it takes to put puzzles together.  I always give up at the first sign of difficulty.  The only atmposphere a puzzle table would bring in my home would be frustration and stress. :glare:

I am now reading a YA  book, Cruel Beauty  by Rosamund Hodges.  I'm not sure if I am going to like it  but it has a great opening sentence:  "I was raised to marry a monster."

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to prairiegirl for the morning's inspiration!

I am now reading a YA  book, Cruel Beauty  by Rosamund Hodges.  I'm not sure if I am going to like it  but it has a great opening sentence:  "I was raised to marry a monster."

Anyone else want to contribute the first sentence of the book(s) they are reading now?

From W. Somerset Maugham, The Narrow Corner:

All this happened a good many years ago.

And from David McCullough, The Greater Journey:  Americans in Paris:

They spoke of it then as the dream of a lifetime, and for many, for all the difficulties and setbacks encountered, it was to be one of the best times ever.

I am also reading the Lonely Planet Guide to the Czech and Slovak Republics which begins with the provocative question:

What is it about Prague?

Which course is this? I looked into Coursera after you mentioned it last week and I joined the Greek and Roman mythology class. Oy. My first quiz I got a 17 out of 20! :( When I retook it, however, I did get a 20 out of 20 and there were some different questions. I haven't taken a test in 14 years. And they want me to do an essay?!? I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it, especially the reading. This is the book list to be covered in 10 weeks:

It's "The Bible's Prehistory, Purpose and Political Future".  I just listen to the lectures and read what I want as I don't have time to participate in the forums or write essays.   There is a lot of information packed into this course.

"The Ancient Greeks" was a fun course too and I highly recommend it.

So I have to ask all the BaWers now.... What type of jigsaw-puzzle-putter-together are you? :lol:

Do you start w/ the edges, then fill in by color type? (My dh, my mom, & my dd are like this.)

Do you start anywhere, just looking at the piece, then finding where the exact piece would be in the pic, then putting the piece in its approximate location? (This is me, so I do best w/ jigsaws that look like a Where's Waldo book w/ lots of unique details. My dh & my mom think I'm completely abnormal that I put puzzles together this way.)

Do you go by shape of the puzzle piece?

Other?

I'm not a puzzle person myself.  Dh and dd19 enjoy it but rarely take the time to do them because our kitties just get into the middle of it  :rolleyes:  Same dd usually does a puzzle with her aunt at Thanksgiving.  They are relentless.  If I ever do a puzzle, I begin with the border and then I go with any combination of the above as I find the pieces.

Dd19 is a book smeller!  Has been since she was a wee girl.  The funny thing is that the 8yo she is a nanny to also loves to smell the books.  They crack me up!  I only notice if it smells bad.  Then I can't read it.

Intriguing!  You'll have to let us know how it goes.

I was so excited about summer vacation beginning and ordered the book I've been waiting to read only to be swamped with planning for our youth group's annual history trip as well as envelopes for my cousin's wedding invitations.  I'm doing the calligraphy.  I have only picked up my book once  :( And no books finished last week and I doubt this week either unless I can fit in some time to listen to the end of The Wee Free Men.  Sigh.

http://www.stavepuzzles.com/index.php?p=store&cPath=802

Couldn't resist adding a link to these incredible puzzles.  Years ago I read an article by Barbara Bush detailing her love of jigsaw and these in particular.  Way Out of our price range but gorgeous.

These are rather spectular, aren't they?! The one below is called 'Responsible Woman'. Notice the baby tucked into the sling on her front, broomstick on her back, tools should she need them, dog as companion, flowers for beauty, guitar for entertainment and a candle to light her way...yep, responsible :lol:

And this in light of Eliana's new arrival...

I agree with VC though, Bacchus Bunny is rather marvelous...

Rather astonishing to think these are puzzles!

Saw this. This is so me. I love smelling books. in fact, one of my dearest friends and I barely knew each other until we went to a bookstore and realized that we're both book smellers. She was a closet smeller and was always rather embarrassed about it, whereas I was very open and out there. We got quite a few funny looks in the bookstore. To this day, we laugh about that :lol:. 

Book smeller here :seeya:

Thanks to prairiegirl for the morning's inspiration!

Anyone else want to contribute the first sentence of the book(s) they are reading now?

From W. Somerset Maugham, The Narrow Corner:

And from David McCullough, The Greater Journey:  Americans in Paris:

I am also reading the Lonely Planet Guide to the Czech and Slovak Republics which begins with the provocative question:

From Marion Zimmer Bradley's, The Firebrand ::

"At this time of year, the light lingered late; but the last glow of sunset had faded now in the west, and mist had begun to drift in from the sea."

From Adam Phillips, Promises, Promises : Essays on Psychoanalysis and Literature ::

"These days, when we are not being told that psychoanalysis is or is not a science, we are, perhaps unsurprisingly, being told that it is an art."

I'm not really a book-smeller, but I do notice a book's smell, if that makes sense. The smell of new books is fine, though sometimes if cheap ink is used (my guess), I don't like the smell & may pass on the book. I cannot read books that smell musty, moldy, or smoky (from cigarettes). I get a roaring headache if reading those, not to mention that my hands then smell like that from holding the book, just :ack2: . So I guess most books are fine, but others I have a smell aversion to, lol.

(Speaking of that, I have a specification on my PaperbackSwap requests that I don't want moldy, musty, or smoky books. However, one sent to me recently was heavily moldy. Do I just toss it? I guess I won't ever read it because I don't really want to touch it [the smell is overwhelming to me]. It has been sitting in my sunroom since receipt, soaking up the sun, in the hopes it would lessen the smell, which perhaps it has a little bit. Feels bad to just toss it, esp. as it's a book I want to read; otoh, I don't really want to read *this* particular copy because of the smell.)

Those puzzles Barbara Bush mentioned are gorgeous. I cannot believe the prices! :blink:

First lines of books in progress?

Mink River by Brian Doyle:

A town not big not small.

Ru by Kim ThĂƒÂºy:

I came into the world during the Tet Offensive, in the early days of the Year of the Monkey, when the long chains of firecrackers draped in front of houses exploded polyphonically along with the sound of machine guns.

So I have to ask all the BaWers now.... What type of jigsaw-puzzle-putter-together are you? :lol:

My now husband and I were on opposite sides of the continent the year before we married as I was still in grad school while he had already finished and was employed.  During that time, we probably made Ma Bell very profitable; we also sent each other a lot of cards and other mail.  I bought a lot of tiny wooden jigsaw puzzles that year (about one and a half inches square and composed of perhaps 36 pieces or so); I would write a note on the back of each, disassemble, and mail.  In order to read the message, the puzzle would need to be reassembled.  Talk about tiny pieces!

Thanks for reminding me of a fun memory.

Regards,

Kareni

No first lines to share as I'm not reading anything this week, wallowing instead, in music geekdom with 2 lectures series.  One is the series on the Beethoven quartets I've mentioned before and the other is a series on the mathematics of music.  The math is way over my head, but it is fascinating.

Anyway, talking about first lines of novels always brings this to mind:

As for jigsaws, I'm a borders and pictures kind of gal, though will look for shapes as I go along.  I currently have a 3-D puzzle on my table, which I'm not super motivated to continue as it just looks like a royal pain to complete.  The college boy, my puzzle partner in crime gave it to me for Christmas and he isn't joining in to help.  Clearly it can be done as this is what is supposed to look like...

My now husband and I were on opposite sides of the continent the year before we married as I was still in grad school while he had already finished and was employed. During that time, we probably made Ma Bell very profitable; we also sent each other a lot of cards and other mail. I bought a lot of tiny wooden jigsaw puzzles that year (about one and a half inches square and composed of perhaps 36 pieces or so); I would write a note on the back of each, disassemble, and mail. In order to read the message, the puzzle would need to be reassembled. Talk about tiny pieces!

Thanks for reminding me of a fun memory.

Regards,

Kareni

What a thoughtful and romantic gesture not to mention creative :)

Kareni, that's so romantic!

I, too, am a book sniffer but count me as the odd duck because I love the smell of old, musty books. Mmm. 

For the first sentences in the two that I'm actively reading:

"Driving down Preston Road, I was dutifully transporting children to school with my-then-fourteen-year-old son sitting shotgun,when I learned how this kid defines the American Dream." Kay Wills Wyma's Cleaning House: A Mom's 12 Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement.

"He still didn't know why the frog hadn't killed him." The Space Between by Diana Gabaldon so I can finally start Written In My Own Heart's Blood.

I, too, am a book sniffer but count me as the odd duck because I love the smell of old, musty books. Mmm. 

I guess your online name is perfectly precise, then! :laugh:

"Driving down Preston Road, I was dutifully transporting children to school with my-then-fourteen-year-old son sitting shotgun,when I learned how this kid defines the American Dream." Kay Wills Wyma's Cleaning House: A Mom's 12 Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement.

Ah, I'd love to hear your comments on this book....

Odd everyone should bring up smelling books right now; the Decameron I just bought to replace my crumbling college paperback has a strong musty odor, though no hint of mold or water damage. Probably why it was so cheap. It smells exactly like the ruined castles we've been exploring. What a souvenir to bring home; books that smell like Scotland.

Just because I know everyone here needs a new source of book temptation, check out Canongate Classics for all your Scottish literary needs. http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=Canongate+classics&search=Find+book

First lines of books in progress, plus next-up:

Beginneth here the book called Decameron, otherwise Prince Galeotto, wherein are contained one hundred novels told in ten days by seven ladies and three young men.

-Boccaccio, The Decameron

It was a beautiful morning in the late July when I set forth on foot for the last time for Aros.

-Robert Louis Stevenson, The Merry Men and Other Tales and Fables

Many, ThĂƒÂ©rĂƒÂ¨se, will say that you do not exist.

-FranĂƒÂ§ois Mauriac, ThĂƒÂ©rĂƒÂ¨se Desqueyroux

Not a book sniffer.  Too afraid that I will discover a smell in a book I really want to read.  I have an aversion to mold, mildew, and cigarette smell.  Even worse Dh seems to notice my smelly ones and I get the " Are you REALLY planning to read that" question.  To be fair he does normally offer a new non smelly copy in exchange but sometimes it just isn't worth it.......

My first sentence for Sacrilege....I knew I was being followed long before I saw or heard my pursuer.

Totally unrelated to books but I have spent the afternoon making a smaller version of these with ds which look lovely when the sun streams through the waxed, colored paper...

I did get in a wee bit of 'Firebrand' reading while waiting for an appt.

51IXKofTl%2BL._SX425_.jpg

I currently have this puzzle stashed away in the closet. We grew up with puzzles always around the house, a card table set up to work on in a corner of the room. My parents, my mom especially loved puzzles. They had a huge breakfast bar and there was always a puzzle in the midst of being made while she was alive.  The walls are covered in puzzles.  My sister has taken up the reins and now has a puzzle always in progress. My house is too small and with 4 cats, there just isn't a spot to leave one out.  When I do however,  I always start with the edges - have to get the frame made first.  Tried one of those 3d ones and just too complicated and not fun at all. 

Book sniffer Not really. Although like Stacia, can't stand one that smells of smoke or anything else.  I am a scarf sniffer however.   Don't ask me why, but I catch myself in the store, not only feeling the scarves, but inhaling them without thought. :laugh:

I'm between books at the moment, still in fluff mode,  so no interesting first sentences. 

Today while we were at B&N, my son talked me into picking up Mein Kampf.  He obsessed with WWII so we'll be reading it together. Guess I know what we'll be doing for history for the summer.  Meanwhile I've been perusing threads and putting together book and movies lists.  Kareni - have found your old threads with links - very helpful.  

Did I mention we watched Monuments Men the other night.  Interesting and spent a lot of time telling hubby the differences between the story and the movie.  So glad I read the book - learned so much.

Just ran into this article while looking up something entirely different.  Very pertinent to yesterday's discussion.  It looks fun but I am to tired to enjoy it so will share here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9817505/30-great-opening-lines-in-literature.html?frame=2458291

Well I have read a number of books on that list!  What is amazing though is that I had never heard of L. P. Harley (#10 in the link) until earlier today which led me to place The Go-Between on my library list.  The book opens the following line:  "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."  So weird that L.P. Hartley came on my radar twice today.

Totally unrelated to books but I have spent the afternoon making a smaller version of these with ds which look lovely when the sun streams through the waxed, colored paper...

I did get in a wee bit of 'Firebrand' reading while waiting for an appt.

Beautiful!

Gone 6 days, and the world has continued spinning without me. Hugs to loesje and congratulations to Eliana.

We went on a mini vacation to my brother's new log cabin in PA. I didn't do much reading, just about half of Caravan by Dorothy Gilman.

My two cents about puzzles: I use any method that will help me connect one piece to another. The shape method is good when you have large blocks of solid color. However, I also prefer crossword puzzles and cryptograms.

I said this once when trying to tell someone about The Phantom Tollbooth and couldn't remember the name:

Reminds me of this pin that my daughter found on Pinterest:

I also prefer crossword puzzles and cryptograms.

Good to see you back here! I love cryptograms too. So nice to see someone else who enjoys them too! (Enjoy crosswords too.)

Well, we missed you OUAT :D

Ok, I love cryptograms, but obviosly suck at acronyms. I actually googled OUAT before I figured it out. Seriously, I wonder about my own brain sometimes. Part of my brain does :toetap05:  while the other part is busy doing :willy_nilly:  or :gnorsi: .

Just ran into this article while looking up something entirely different.  Very pertinent to yesterday's discussion.  It looks fun but I am to tired to enjoy it so will share here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9817505/30-great-opening-lines-in-literature.html?frame=2458291

That was fun to read & it reminded me of a few books &/or authors I still need to read....

But, wah! Why did they put the opening line to Love in the Time of Cholera (a book I disliked intensely) instead of the opening line of One Hundred Years of Solitude?

It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.

vs.

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano BuendĂƒÂ­a was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Ok, well, I have to grudgingly admit both are great opening lines, imo; just that one story delivered & one didn't (also imo).

Good to see you back here! I love cryptograms too. So nice to see someone else who enjoys them too! (Enjoy crosswords too.)

We're NYTimes crossword puzzlers here. We finished the weekend one a couple of days ago and have been doing a bizarre one also in the Sunday mag that uses only consonants. It's actually pretty fun.

Ok, I love cryptograms, but obviosly suck at acronyms. I actually googled OUAT before I figured it out. Seriously, I wonder about my own brain sometimes. Part of my brain does  :toetap05:  while the other part is busy doing  :willy_nilly:  or  :gnorsi: .

:lol:

Today I went to the library to pick up a book that had come in and I happened to see  A Tale for the Time Being on display. I picked it up as it's gotten so much attention here. From all the reviews and critiques I think I can squeeze this into the magical realism/fantasy category. At least that's what I've decided to do so that I can go ahead and read it as part of my 5/5/5 challenge without apology :D Assuming I like it...

Bwa-ha-ha. (Not for the faint of heart or those who dislike cursing & bleak, cutting thoughts.) This is a book that appeals to the visual person in me, along w/ my snarky side. May have to look into getting this one....

Ă¢â‚¬Å“I Preen for SatanĂ¢â‚¬: Hilarious Portraits of Troubled Birds (I love the third & fifth ones, especially.) Wouldn't those be funny to frame & hide behind a door in your house?

Last night I finished the collection of Stevenson's short stories. The "merry men" of the title story are giant breakers that violently strike a series of semi-visible rocks in a stormy Scottish bay, certain death for unwary mariners. Naturally, last evening was rainy and the waves were up in our bay here, and we stood out on the stone pier watching army guys from Aberdeen doing training exercises. Middle Girl waved enthusiastically as they zoomed by in speedboats, and they waved cheerfully back, unconcerned for any hidden rocks of destruction.

Much character dialogue of "The Merry Men" was almost indecipherable: sample below. I was chatting (see, I'm learning the local language; I say "chatting" instead of "visiting") with the local tiny bookstore owner, discussing Scottish writers, wherein Middle Girl admitted abandoning David Balfour because of the impenetrable Scots dialect. The man kindly made a present to her of a Scots Dialect Dictionary, which pleased her greatly.

One of the stories, "Olalla," in the Mrs Radcliffe style of Gothic, has interesting resemblances to Dracula, and pre-dates Stoker's novel by a few years. Odd I've never seen it mentioned.

-----------

"Lang syne, when I was a callant in the south country, I mind there was an auld, bald bogle in the Peewie Moss. I got a glisk o' him mysel' sittin' on his hunkers in a hag, as gray's a tombstane. An' troth, he was a fearsome-like taed. But he steered naebody.... If ye had but used the een God gave ye, ye would hae learned the wickedness o' that fause, saut, cauld, bullering creature, and of a' that's in it by the Lord's permission: labsters an' partans, an' sic like, howking in the deid; muckle, gutsy, blawing whales; an' fish--the hale clan o' them--cauld-wamed, blind-eed uncanny ferlies. O, sirs," he cried, "the horror--the horror o' the sea!"

-Robert Louis Stevenson, "The Merry Men"

Bwa-ha-ha. (Not for the faint of heart or those who dislike cursing & bleak, cutting thoughts.) This is a book that appeals to the visual person in me, along w/ my snarky side. May have to look into getting this one....

Ă¢â‚¬Å“I Preen for SatanĂ¢â‚¬: Hilarious Portraits of Troubled Birds (I love the third & fifth ones, especially.) Wouldn't those be funny to frame & hide behind a door in your house?

That third picture describes one of our cockatiels very nicely though he's closer to an ounce than 3. He's convinced I'm his mate and has a lot to say about my behavior sometimes. As soon as he hears the bedroom door open in the morning he starts sqawking for me to come in and I have to go through a greeting process. He's fickle though and often our conversations end in his pecking me for some perceived fault on my part which I'm never quite clear on :lol:  Both birds are due for a wing clip and thus are currently flighted. Lately they have taken to flying through the house screeching and in search of...??? The dog is all aquiver when they fly though he knows to stay put while one of us goes off in search of the birds who tend to fly to opposite ends of the house. :glare:

Last night I finished the collection of Stevenson's short stories. The "merry men" of the title story are giant breakers that violently strike a series of semi-visible rocks in a stormy Scottish bay, certain death for unwary mariners. Naturally, last evening was rainy and the waves were up in our bay here, and we stood out on the stone pier watching army guys from Aberdeen doing training exercises. Middle Girl waved enthusiastically as they zoomed by in speedboats, and they waved cheerfully back, unconcerned for any hidden rocks of destruction.

Much character dialogue of "The Merry Men" was almost indecipherable: sample below. I was chatting (see, I'm learning the local language; I say "chatting" instead of "visiting") with the local tiny bookstore owner, discussing Scottish writers, wherein Middle Girl admitted abandoning David Balfour because of the impenetrable Scots dialect. The man kindly made a present to her of a Scots Dialect Dictionary, which pleased her greatly.

One of the stories, "Olalla," in the Mrs Radcliffe style of Gothic, has interesting resemblances to Dracula, and pre-dates Stoker's novel by a few years. Odd I've never seen it mentioned.

-----------

"Lang syne, when I was a callant in the south country, I mind there was an auld, bald bogle in the Peewie Moss. I got a glisk o' him mysel' sittin' on his hunkers in a hag, as gray's a tombstane. An' troth, he was a fearsome-like taed. But he steered naebody.... If ye had but used the een God gave ye, ye would hae learned the wickedness o' that fause, saut, cauld, bullering creature, and of a' that's in it by the Lord's permission: labsters an' partans, an' sic like, howking in the deid; muckle, gutsy, blawing whales; an' fish--the hale clan o' them--cauld-wamed, blind-eed uncanny ferlies. O, sirs," he cried, "the horror--the horror o' the sea!"

I couldn't help but read that paragraph with lots of rrrrolled Rs and a rich, guttural voice :D I grew up with a British father who was a skilled mimic. His ability to reproduce some of the subtle regional differences was fascinating to me. The north country of England is close-ish to some Scottish I've heard and he did that very well. Do you know The Goon Show? I grew up with this as it was a favorite of his and I recall one hilarious Scottish take-off with ridiculous songs and idioms.

Must. Have. This. Book.  Stacia, you can be my personal book shopper from now on! 

"He gave them the heebie-jeebies.  He had nothing else to give."  I LOVE it!!

And I want to travel with Violet Crown and her dd, visit little bookstores in Scotland, and stand out in the rain watching the waves crash on the beach. (Cause the waves on a beach in Scotland are probably quite different than the waves on a beach in California..)

And I want to have tea at Shukriyya's, watch the birds in action. Watch Shukriyya in action chasing the birds. 

That was fun to read & it reminded me of a few books &/or authors I still need to read....

But, wah! Why did they put the opening line to Love in the Time of Cholera (a book I disliked intensely) instead of the opening line of One Hundred Years of Solitude?

vs.

Ok, well, I have to grudgingly admit both are great opening lines, imo; just that one story delivered & one didn't (also imo).

Both are in my pile.  Hopefully in two or three week I will also have an opinion!   :lol:

Today I went to the library to pick up a book that had come in and I happened to see  A Tale for the Time Being on display. I picked it up as it's gotten so much attention here. From all the reviews and critiques I think I can squeeze this into the magical realism/fantasy category. At least that's what I've decided to do so that I can go ahead and read it as part of my 5/5/5 challenge without apology :D Assuming I like it...

Loved it so much it actually made last year's top ten.

Not sure how to line this up with Shukriyya's birds, So let's just say birds are my favourite pets. Opinionated little beasties but very funny!

-----------

Do they natter in Scotland?  They do here.  We sit down and have a natter or go to a knit and natter.....much nicer than a knit and b*tch.

That third picture describes one of our cockatiels very nicely though he's closer to an ounce than 3. He's convinced I'm his mate and has a lot to say about my behavior sometimes. As soon as he hears the bedroom door open in the morning he starts sqawking for me to come in and I have to go through a greeting process. He's fickle though and often our conversations end in his pecking me for some perceived fault on my part which I'm never quite clear on :lol:  Both birds are due for a wing clip and thus are currently flighted. Lately they have taken to flying through the house screeching and in search of...??? The dog is all aquiver when they fly though he knows to stay put while one of us goes off in search of the birds who tend to fly to opposite ends of the house. :glare:

I couldn't help but read that paragraph with lots of rrrrolled Rs and a rich, guttural voice :D I grew up with a British father who was a skilled mimic. His ability to reproduce some of the subtle regional differences was fascinating to me. The north country of England is close-ish to some Scottish I've heard and he did that very well. Do you know The Goon Show? I grew up with this as it was a favorite of his and I recall one hilarious Scottish take-off with ridiculous songs and idioms.

Love the cockatiels . My Life used to be ruled by a very opinionated blue front amazon.  He talked well and could generally get his point across in English.  Very frightening.......Dd and he did not like one another.  He had chosen me as his mate,  Dh survived(thought the Bird, that's how Peanut referred to himself, was hilarious) but Dd didn't think a bird should be above her in the household pecking order.  Neither did we,  after a year he went to live with our vet's assistant.  He never figured out how to fly very well(hand reared)-- splatt on the patio doors frequently.  Wing clips bring back funny memories of a very indignant parrot.

ETA changed my autocorrect error back to cockatiels.  It first posted as cocktails-- love those too! ;)

Ok, I love cryptograms, but obviosly suck at acronyms. I actually googled OUAT before I figured it out. Seriously, I wonder about my own brain sometimes. Part of my brain does :toetap05:  while the other part is busy doing :willy_nilly:  or :gnorsi: .

Don't feel bad. I googled it too, the first time I saw it.  :laugh:

Love the cocktails.  My Life used to be ruled by a very opinionated blue front amazon.  He talked well and could generally get his point across in English.  Very frightening.......Dd and he did not like one another.  He had chosen me as his mate,  Dh survived(thought the Bird, that's how Peanut referred to himself, was hilarious) but Dd didn't think a bird should be above her in the household pecking order.  Neither did we,  after a year he went to live with our vet's assistant.  He never figured out how to fly very well(hand reared)-- splatt on the patio doors frequently.  Wing clips bring back funny memories of a very indignant parrot.

Cheers!

I would really like one of those about now! Dd and I have spent our morning decorating dinosaur cupcakes for a garden party fundraiser for church. Turned out great ( might post a picture later) but our weather forecast failed us -- currently chucking it down (local phrasing) instead of just plain old cloudy. Anyway my autocorrect is good for some laughs. Obviously I meant Shukriyya's crazy cockatiels! :lol:

I would really like one of those about now! Dd and I have spent our morning decorating dinosaur cupcakes for a garden party fundraiser for church.  Turned out great ( might post a picture later) but our weather forecast failed us -- currently chucking it down (local phrasing) instead of just plain old cloudy.  Anyway my autocorrect  is good for some laughs.  Obviously I meant Shukriyya's crazy cockatiels! :lol:

The color of the beverage is frightening...like your blue Amazon?

Your church related activities often sound like they are out of a Miss Read book.  I hope you post a photo.

Not sure how to line this up with Shukriyya's birds, So let's just say birds are my favourite pets. Opinionated little beasties but very funny!

Do they natter in Scotland?  They do here.  We sit down and have a natter or go to a knit and natter.....much nicer than a knit and b*tch.

Love the cockatiels . My Life used to be ruled by a very opinionated blue front amazon.  He talked well and could generally get his point across in English.  Very frightening.......Dd and he did not like one another.  He had chosen me as his mate,  Dh survived(thought the Bird, that's how Peanut referred to himself, was hilarious) but Dd didn't think a bird should be above her in the household pecking order.  Neither did we,  after a year he went to live with our vet's assistant.  He never figured out how to fly very well(hand reared)-- splatt on the patio doors frequently.  Wing clips bring back funny memories of a very indignant parrot.

ETA changed my autocorrect error back to cockatiels.  It first posted as cocktails-- love those too! ;)

Yes, they're long on opinions and short on compromise. I've spent the last half hour with them both alternately on my shoulder or walking around on the table looking for trouble. :lol: We used to have one cockatiel that loved to share breakfast with us and a shower. He loved the shower so much that we had a special cloth we'd put on the soap dish so he could happily and safely 'take the waters'. He'd go into a meta state. It was pretty adorable. I'll see if I can dig up a pic to post.

The color of the beverage is frightening...like your blue Amazon?

Your church related activities often sound like they are out of a Miss Read book.  I hope you post a photo.

Having read a few Miss Read books I agree. And I'd love to see pics too. As well as of the bag you were working on. Good on you for getting up early to make dinosaur cupcakes, of all incongruities! I hope you ate one or two of them as energy for your efforts :D

http://www.stavepuzzles.com/index.php?p=store&cPath=802

Couldn't resist adding a link to these incredible puzzles.  Years ago I read an article by Barbara Bush detailing her love of jigsaw and these in particular.  Way Out of our price range but gorgeous.

These are fantastic. I never knew such puzzles existed and who can afford them? My favorite on page one is the Two Dowager Ogresses having Tea!

I haven't heard of it, but I'll see if YouTube has.

Mumto2--haven't heard "natter"; mostly "have a wee chat."

I haven't heard of it, but I'll see if YouTube has.

Do so at your own risk. The humor is inane. It's particularly British and a particular kind of British humor at that--dry, brilliantly obscure and ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'd find them amusing now. The appeal for me was my father's enjoyment of them which gave me some context for appreciating them.

Do so at your own risk. The humor is inane. It's particularly British and a particular kind of British humor at that--dry, brilliantly obscure and ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'd find them amusing now. The appeal for me was my father's enjoyment of them which gave me some context for appreciating them.

The Goon Show influenced Monty Python--if that helps. Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe were brilliant in it but the program was often surreal.  It will not be everyone's cuppa--and even then you have to be in the mood for the silliness.

I was introduced to The Goon Show several decades ago via a public radio station that used it air it in the middle of the night when only the insomniacs were listening.

I am experimenting at copying pictures so please bear with me. This is a blue front Amazon parrot who looks quite a bit like mine did. Would love to see your bathing cocktails, Shukriyya. Mine loved showers also, at one of our houses someone had installed a towel rack that got wet every time someone showered which was a perfect Bird perch...the bird demanded a shower daily at that house. Bobbing and singing as he preened. At other houses he ran around on a rubber mat under the spray for a few minutes every few days. He ate whatever we did. He had a perch near the table and I prepared a bowl for him while fixing my plate. As you can tell I really miss the Bird. Would happily get another someday.

Jane, notice his shade of blue is close to the cocktail. :lol:

The Goon Show influenced Monty Python--if that helps. Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe were brilliant in it but the program was often surreal.  It will not be everyone's cuppa--and even then you have to be in the mood for the silliness.

I was introduced to The Goon Show several decades ago via a public radio station that used it air it in the middle of the night when only the insomniacs were listening.

Yes, Jane's description is accurate. The reason it came to mind was that they did a particularly ridiculous one set in Scotland called, The Treasure of Loch Lomond. There's no way I could reproduce the inanity here but there was the song 'ye take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Scotland 'afore ye' sung in a heavily accented Scots dialect as well as not particularly flattering allusions to Scots thriftiness with ridiculous comments like 'aye, you must be cold lad, put this porridge on and come in and warm yersel by this roarin' candle'...to which the reply comes...'Ah, thank you, uncle. Real regal Scots' hospitality.'

At any rate the whole ridiculous exchange can be read here though simply written out it loses almost all of its inane brilliance.

I am experimenting at copying pictures so please bear with me.  This is a blue front  Amazon parrot who looks quite a bit like mine did.  Would love to see your bathing cocktails, Shukriyya.  Mine loved showers also,  at one of our houses someone had installed a towel rack that got wet every time someone showered which was a perfect Bird perch...the bird demanded a shower daily at that house.  Bobbing and singing as he preened.  At other houses he ran around on a rubber mat under the spray for a few minutes every few days.  He ate whatever we did.  He had a perch near the table and I prepared a bowl for him while fixing my plate.  As you can tell I really miss the Bird.  Would happily get another someday.

Jane,  notice his shade of blue is close to the cocktail.   :lol:

Beautiful! Some of those parrots are stunning. Cockatiels and parrakeets are the smallest of the parrot family, I believe. We've only ever had cockatiels and they are endearing little creatures. I can understand your missing your parrot as the larger ones in particular are extremely intelligent and sensitive to their owners.

Today as I was sweeping and cleaning the family room I had one tiel perched on each shoulder. They were very curious about what I was doing and were quite happy to ride around on my shoulder while I went about my work. Our previous tiel was like your parrot in that he spent breakfast with us and ate my husband's toast crumbs off the plate, wandering back and forth on the table or flying up to a shoulder to hang out. The big detraction though with bird ownership is cleaning their cages  :thumbdown:  It's a big job.

Here's our previous tiel having his morning shower. Please ignore the tea stain on the towel. See how his eyes are half closed. He's in the zone...

So, we have the color blue, Monty Python, and parrots.  We need this:

(Dead parrot skit. It's very funny, really.)

Which brings me to my sad parrot story. My dh went out to sea with the Navy and  I bought my daughter a parakeet. Its cage sat in the main living area next to the kitchen. I stayed up late one night watching an old black and white comedy. Imagine a large Wagnerian woman, with braids, helmet, and er metal disks. Now imagine a voice that shatters glass while holding a high note. Next, there is a decidedly dreadful unhuman squawk. I jump up to see the bird fall off its perch into the bird bath. It is now an ex-parakeet. I was very distressed, not being particularly fond of dead things, plus my daughter would be devastated. I called my mother in another state and wailed into the phone, "  _____'s bird is dead!" All  my mother heard was, "______ is dead!"  Funnily enough, calming my mother down was just the thing to help me feel better and deal with the defunct bird.

We bought my daughter another bird who lived a long life and blew raspberries every time he saw my husband.