Menu

Just curious, have you recognized a board member here

Tohru

Have you recognized a some one here that you know in real life, but they don't know you know? 

I've recognized two people here just based on their threads and posts, but I'm not close to either and haven't told them. I kind of feel bad, like I should say something...but what if they want to remain anonymous. 

Any one else?

I've only met one boardie in person, Aubrey, once. I would hope that if there was anyone else here who knew me that they would speak up! I would say something. I've been hesitant to share the board with others unless I thought they were really interested enough in home school to check out the forums and the book.

I haven't. I would want to know if someone recognized me. Maybe. Yes, I would.

lol!  Yeah.  Maybe I would want to know if some one recognized me, but maybe not.  I haven't told any one - I don't gossip.  I'm pretty introverted and I'm not quite sure how or when to mention it - It would be awkward for me. and maybe them too.

I know people IRL from here - I would just send them a PM and say something like "Hi So and So, nice to see you here, I have gleaned so much information from all the wonderful posters and just wanted to say 'hi'".

I started a sports mom thread and in one post I described an accident my kids witnessed. Then later I saw a post by a mom who's child had the same injury I posted about. I suspected I knew who it was. Then I realized that if she read my post she would know who I was because I posted a picture....then I realized she was the person who took the picture! 

So, at that point, it was pretty obvious we knew one another.  She's as wonderful and knowledgeable in person as she is here on the board.

edit- spelling

Lots and lots of people know me as being from this board.  If you recognize me as well, let me know!  I've never been anonymous here.  Of course if you do tell me, I would want to know your board name too since would feel awkward otherwise.  (Though I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of people who know me from here and I don't know them.)  

I live in an area with a large home school population. I used to work within a program here, so lots of people used to know me about 8 years ago. There are a couple posters here who I know IRL, and we are aware of each others online personas.   There are at least one or two others post here, who I know personally,  but since I don't 'out' myself to others, I don't think they realize who I am on here.   I am pretty specific in my posts so it wouldn't surprise me if people recognized me, but no one has said anything.  

Another boardie and I recognized each other.  The funny thing is, we really didn't know each other that well.  Our kids were in a class together, and neither of us at the time ever really posted anything personal.  This was before board siggies.  

I had several conversations with another mom at our theater and she later asked me if I was on this board. Turned out we had chatted about moving to the area previously and she had later, after moving, put together that it was me. I thought it was interesting.

I can't remember her user name and we've lost contact. :(

I do not know many homeschoolers except my imaginary friends on another homeschool board. I see many of the names from that board on this one. I also see many of the same types of posts on both boards and eventually figure out what username from that board is the same poster as a different username from this board. In other words, I have recognized imaginary friends on more than one board. (I call all internet contacts "imaginary friends". ).

I do not know many homeschoolers except my imaginary friends on another homeschool board. I see many of the names from that board on this one. I also see many of the same types of posts on both boards and eventually figure out what username from that board is the same poster as a different username from this board. In other words, I have recognized imaginary friends on more than one board. (I call all internet contacts "imaginary friends". ).

I call forum people my imaginary friends, too. :)

I haven't recognized anyone, but would not be surprised if someone recognized me. I don't intentionally post a lot of info, but I also don't hide who/where I am. A person could "piece me together" by my posts.

I would like to know just so I can say Hi. :-)

It's pretty easy to recognize me if you're from my area... I work in the local public high school so am known by many in the community and it's a small community comparatively.  Then add in that hubby is an engineer and owns his company.  Then add in that we raise ponies for show/sale and hardly keep that a secret (or the selling part would be difficult).  I don't even try to hide and rather enjoy it when I get a pm from others who are local or close to it.

Considering many in my IRL homeschooling circle have or are close to graduating their kids, I kind of expect to see fewer and fewer as time marches on.

A few times.  I always tell them, because I don't want them to think that they are anonymous when they're not.

This is very true.  I'm always surprised by people's participation in threads such as ones about how much money a family makes or other quite personal information. 

Yes.   There were 2 women who live near me who I have met IRL.  However, I have let them know I recognized them.  One is rarely on here now and the other I think has left here.

Other than that, I have met Jean when I went out to Seattle in the Fall, and two other people from the boards at Disney!  :laugh:

Dawn

DH doesn't want me posting anything about salary or money online.  It is just that, personal.  There are only a small handful of people I would ever share that info with.

Unfortunately, not much is private anymore.  Anyone can look up your house and see aprox. how much it is worth, what you paid, etc......

Dawn

This is very true.  I'm always surprised by people's participation in threads such as ones about how much money a family makes or other quite personal information. 

Not yet, but this area is just crawling with homeschoolers, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time!  Seriously, it seems like at least half the people I meet homeschool, used to homeschool, really wanted to homeschool but couldn't, seriously considered homeschooling, or were themselves homeschooled!

Maybe in a couple years when I'm, you know, actually homeschooling I'll start to recognize people!

I don't know how I feel about this.

On the one hand, I wouldn't want to keep thinking I was anonymous

if I wasn't any more.

On the other hand, I really speak my mind on this forum and I don't

speak this frankly or seriously to most of my IRL friends.  I would feel

really vulnerable if my family's problems were now more public...no

longer an anonymous poster who you don't really know.  And now you

would know all the problems I have with my kid -- not many, and no serious ones,

thank goodness (more "is late to everything" kinds of things),

but still, he would be so embarrassed to have been publicly displayed

as a problem to solve.

i am torn and confused...

:(

Not yet, but this area is just crawling with homeschoolers, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time! Seriously, it seems like at least half the people I meet homeschool, used to homeschool, really wanted to homeschool but couldn't, seriously considered homeschooling, or were themselves homeschooled!

Maybe in a couple years when I'm, you know, actually homeschooling I'll start to recognize people!

I'm always surprised I don't recognize/know more people from here IRL. I always wonder why. Do people not know about it? Think it's only for people who follow the book? Not enjoy online forums? Do they read and just not post a lot or at all?

Oh, I do remember when I used to have my picture as my avatar here and the same one on Facebook, I was buying something from someone on a local homeschool swap group on Facebook and she told me she recognized me from here but doesn't post. So, maybe there are more but they just aren't regular posters?

Haven't met any board members that I know of, though I know quite a few are close.

I did, however, run into a homeschool group meeting at the park when I was there with the kids a couple weeks ago. I was very curious if anyone was a member on the boards. :P

Didn't say anything to them, though, as I had two young rascals to chase all over the place. :)

I've never recognized a person, but one time there was a thread about interesting houses and someone posted a link to her house which was for sale. I drive by her house all the time! I did send her a pm and tell her. I was a little afraid she would think I was some kind of stalker. I swear I am not!

I've recognized people here from unrelated elsewheres on the internet.

I've recognized people on other large boards from real life.

I don't think I've ever noticed anyone here that I know in real life yet, though.

By the way, it's not always personal details that give it away. I've recognized someone based on their unusual vehemently negative reaction to a particular book. In other cases, only very vague details were given, but something about it clicked (maybe I subconsciously recognize the individual's writing style?).

(I don't mind if anyone recognizes me. Reading through my old posts, which I'm pretty sure is what everyone does when they think they recognize someone, should do a good job of weeding out incompatible people.)

I think a PM would be considerate.

My personal concern was that non-WTMers would find me accidentally here via links I'd posted years.  

I would just really hope that anyone here would respect the privacy of posts here and not spread them around.  (I'm not talking about you, OP, or anyone else specifically, that's just a general statement.)  Yes, I know it's a public online board, but it's different if someone has posted about a personal issue and someone else here knows them or the other parties involved IRL.

A few times.  I always tell them, because I don't want them to think that they are anonymous when they're not.

Neither are very regular posters here.  In fact, I don't think either have posted in a very long time.

Since I never was anonymous here I've always posted knowing that whatever was posted is identified with me and my family.  I've posted some very personal stuff from time to time but I'm not trying to project a perfect life to others and if it can help others then for me it is worth it.  I do try to post more in generalities than specifics but that isn't always possible.  

I get PMs from people on occasion who tell me that they "know" me from my posts.  90% of the time this is before they start to berate me for saying something that they "know" that I don't really mean or otherwise doesn't fit the picture they have of me in their heads.  There is no faster way to turn me off. . .    The friends I've made online (who are true friends) are people who accept me as a person.  

There are some posters whom I *THINK* are casual acquaintances IRL but I wouldn't want to send them a PM because what if I were wrong? The Bay Area is a big place with tons of HSers and just because a poster has kids the right age and maybe has the same common first name as the acquaintance does not necessarily mean it's the same person.

There are things I've deliberately kept off the boards because I don't have any illusions that it is anonymous.