Menu

Fantastic Mr. Fox is not so fantastic.

Tohru

I picked up Fantastic Mr. Fox and we got to chapter 6 before I couldn't take it anymore.  I am really not liking it.  This book has almost 5 stars on Amazon and everyone seems to think it is great.  It's pretty crude and a little disturbing.  Does it actually get any better?  We have yet to read anything we think is funny.

Is this your first Roald Dahl book?  I wouldn't call his books an aquired taste exactly, but they are sharp and the humor usually involved someone irritating, cruel, childish, or selfish person getting their comeuppance.  So some of them are easier for Dahl "beginners".  I'd put Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, its sequel The Great Glass Elevator, and The BFG in that category.  Also one of his earliest books, The Minpins.

We are big fans here and my kids have laughed endlessly at some of his books.  Danny the Champion of the World is a big favorite, The Witches (PLEASE get the audiobook read by Lynn Redgrave), Matilda (my angry second grader once told me I was worse than Matilda's parents-LOL).  But my all time fave is the recorded book of Revolting Rhymes.  We can quote sections of the fairy tales, retold in funny verse:

"...then I said, MUM-behold the prickles in my BUM!"

Then his mother takes him to the dentist to have the prickles pulled out-he sat on a porcupine. 

Dahl's wicked sense of humor doesn't appeal to everyone.

they are sharp and the humor usually involved someone irritating, cruel, childish, or selfish person getting their comeuppance...Dahl's wicked sense of humor doesn't appeal to everyone.

:iagree:

And dd and I liked his books very much. Catherine has suggested some good ones to start with. Another good one, and the first one we read, was The Magic Finger.

My dad was raised in England, so Roald Dahl's humor really appeals to us. You have to take it in the spirit it's meant--and be okay with phrases like, "You silly ass!" and mild drinking, and gross descriptions. It's kinda like Horrible Histories--British stuff.

It's okay if you don't like it.

Mr. Fox is one of my youngest dd's favorite books (this is my 'I hate reading') kid.  When she was younger, I think she read it over and over.  I've actually never read it - but I did bring her to the movie, which is apparently quite different, but she loved as well.  I have no idea what tickled her about it so much...  If I could just figure out what the common denominator is in the books she actually claims to love, maybe I could finally get her to love reading??  Here's the (very short) list:

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Doll People (and its sequels)

Alice in Wonderland (but won't read Through the Looking Glass :confused1:  - I think I may have gotten a bit excited that she read Alice one completely on her own without me even suggesting it, so that may have dampened any enthusiasm for continuing...)

The Warriors series (all of them...)

What,  pray tell, is the common denominator here?? :confused1:

Mr. Fox is one of my youngest dd's favorite books (this is my 'I hate reading') kid.  When she was younger, I think she read it over and over.  I've actually never read it - but I did bring her to the movie, which is apparently quite different, but she loved as well.  I have no idea what tickled her about it so much...  If I could just figure out what the common denominator is in the books she actually claims to love, maybe I could finally get her to love reading??  Here's the (very short) list:

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Alice in Wonderland (but won't read Through the Looking Glass :confused1:  - I think I may have gotten a bit excited that she read Alice one completely on her own without me even suggesting it, so that may have dampened any enthusiasm for continuing...)

With the exception of Alice herself, the other characters are nonhuman (animals, dolls), and the writing is a bit edgy/snarky. Have you tried Flora & Ulysses (talking squirrel + smart, wisecracking little girl who lives in a bit of a fantasy world), Tale of Despereaux  or Redwall? There's also Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, which is hilarious. If she gets into Maurice, she could also try his Tiffany Aching trilogy (Wee Free Men/Hat Full of Sky/Wintersmith), which is a bit Alice-like in having a young girl protagonist in a world full of crazy magical characters, with the usual Pratchett humor and snark.

With the exception of Alice herself, the other characters are nonhuman (animals, dolls), and the writing is a bit edgy/snarky. Have you tried Flora & Ulysses (talking squirrel + smart, wisecracking little girl who lives in a bit of a fantasy world), Tale of Despereaux  or Redwall? There's also Terry Pratchett's Maurice and His Amazing Educated Rodents, which is hilarious. If she gets into Maurice, she could also try his Tiffany Aching trilogy (Wee Free Men/Hat Full of Sky/Wintersmith), which is a bit Alice-like in having a young girl protagonist in a world full of crazy magical characters, with the usual Pratchett humor and snark.

LOL - I did notice the snark trend (although I haven't read Warriors, so I wasn't sure if it was there or not).  She has read Tale of Desperaux and liked it fine, but it's not on the love list.  She refuses to read Redwall.  Doesn't want talking mice and battles.  She says she likes that the Warrior cats act "natural, like cats" (well, not quite, but I got the gist).  After that comment, I had her read a bunch of Jean Craighouse George this year (both Julie and My Side of Mountain series), and she liked those fine as well, but not love. She did say she liked the ones without people even better (Julie's Wolves, Frightful's Mountain). I'd just love her to want to read something without my saying "you must read for at least 1/2 hour a day" - and she whines about it, even with those "like" books.  She also liked some of the other Roald Dahl books, but wasn't actually that enthusiastic about Charlie (and refused to read the sequel).  She's also read all the Seekers series without prompting (companion series to Warriors) - also written by committee.  The third committee series about the dogs she rejected - the "Erin Hunter" that wrote those doesn't share any committee members with the others, and even I could see at a glance the writing was much lower level (so I guess I should be grateful she was a bit discerning?)

Perhaps I should try some of those Pratchett books - I've never read any. Are they well written? Good level of vocab?  What age is the Flora & Ulysses aimed at?  The girl is 13 now.

Sorry for the thread hijack :tongue_smilie:

PS. Anyone have any ideas how to introduce a book without her realizing I'd like her to read it?  I think she extra-loves the Warriors books partly because she knows I don't consider them all that lit-worthy and therefore don't particularly 'want' her to read them (other than just wanting her to read...)

It's not one of Roald Dahl's better books, but I'll always have a fondness in my heart for it because it was the first longer, more complex book my dyslexic son ever read on his own.  What got him hooked was the digging--go figure!

Perhaps I should try some of those Pratchett books - I've never read any. Are they well written? Good level of vocab?  What age is the Flora & Ulysses aimed at?  The girl is 13 now.

PS. Anyone have any ideas how to introduce a book without her realizing I'd like her to read it?  I think she extra-loves the Warriors books partly because she knows I don't consider them all that lit-worthy and therefore don't particularly 'want' her to read them (other than just wanting her to read...)

My 12 yo DD, who loved The Doll People, liked Flora & Ulysses even better. It's sweet and funny, but with a liberal dose of satire. I think it's quite similar to The Doll People, even down to the type of illustrations and the layout of the book.

The Pratchett books are well written, and very very funny. The humor is clever, snarky, and smart — lots of clever wordplay. And there are a million of them, so if she gets into Pratchett, there's plenty to keep her going. My DS was an extremely reluctant reader, and he loved Maurice and the Tiffany Aching trilogy, and went on to read many more. 

ETA: The Amazing Maurice won the Carnegie Medal in 2001, and Pratchett was knighted for "services to literature" in 2009.

As for sneaking in the suggestion... maybe you could pick up a copy of Maurice or Wee Free Men and say someone recommended it, but you think it's too snarky and lightweight, and not really good literature — then hold up a copy of Moby Dick and say "I'd prefer you read this."  :laugh:

Fantastic Mr. Fox

My son, also not a big reader, enjoyed several of those books; I think for him it's the humor.

He really loved the Nicholas books by Rene Goscinny; you might see if your daughter likes those.

I pick things up from the library and leave them lying around.

Or I put them in pile and tell the kids they can't touch it until I'm done.

Those things seem to make them unusually attractive.

Same here!  lol  I have even gone so far as to pick up a book and laugh noticeably while quoting...then I chuckle as I set it down, walk away, and lo and behold, the 8yo has new reading material.  Sucker.

Same here! lol I have even gone so far as to pick up a book and laugh noticeably while quoting...then I chuckle as I set it down, walk away, and lo and behold, the 8yo has new reading material. Sucker.

I've been know to bring home the audiobook for the first book in a series, get the kids hooked on the story, then only be able to bring home the print versions of the rest of the books in the series.

Fantastic Mr Fox is loved in this house. :) I am a huge Roald Dahl fan.

I saw several people post to the forums that they did not like the movie at all so I hesitated in watching it. I guess I was listening to the wrong people because I found it to be hysterically funny. I love that movie.