Menu

Spelling u see question

How many of you are actually using spelling you see? I'm not talking about those who have reviewed it for free, or the such. I mean, you waited for the program to come out, have bought it, and are using it.

I was so excited about it before it came out, and now I'm kinda blah looking at the samples.

Are you happy with it? Is your child happy with it? Do you find it expensive for what you get?

Just curious.

We got it as a review product- but I was very underwhelmed. I can see how it would work for some very visual kids, but there is not explicit teaching on WHY things are they way they are in this program, so I didn't feel like MY kids learned much from it. When we requested to use it, I was hoping it would be wonderful, and planned to use it all the way through, but after 6 weeks, it got moved to the "pass it on" pile and we won't pick it back up.

Big let down. :(

We got it as a review product- but I was very underwhelmed. I can see how it would work for some very visual kids, but there is not explicit teaching on WHY things are they way they are in this program, so I didn't feel like MY kids learned much from it. When we requested to use it, I was hoping it would be wonderful, and planned to use it all the way through, but after 6 weeks, it got moved to the "pass it on" pile and we won't pick it back up.

Yea, that's what I figured. :( We love love love math u see, and I was so excited about this spelling program. It seemed more like a copy work type of book, than spelling. I know there is chunking the different phonetic sounds and such, but it didn't seem to make sense to me.

Any other homeschool users have any comments on the matter?

How many of you are actually using spelling you see? I'm not talking about those who have reviewed it for free, or the such. I mean, you waited for the program to come out, have bought it, and are using it.

I was so excited about it before it came out, and now I'm kinda blah looking at the samples.

Are you happy with it? Is your child happy with it? Do you find it expensive for what you get?

Just curious.

I very hesitantly bought it.  The price tag was more than I wanted to spend, but DD11 is very very very visual, and the samples on the website looked like a good fit for her learning style.  We've made it through nearly half of a level at this point, and it's a winner for us.  We had previously tried AAS, Sequential Spelling, and Apples & Pears.  All 3 of those programs left her in tears, and I saw no improvement in her spelling.  (We used each of those for a year.  I think AAS was nearly 2 years.)  DD actually says she likes spelling now, and the improvement was almost immediate.  My disclaimer is that she has dysgraphia, very low short term memory, and speech/language issues, so she is not a typical learner and I don't know if other kiddos would have the same type of results that we've seen with this.

• 2 months later...

We are reviewing the newest level for those over 10.  Both my DD and I like it.  We have only done 2 lessons so far, but no complaints.  I have tried Spelling Power, AAS, Rod and Staff, Spelling Workout and A Reason for Spelling. Out of those, we liked Rod and Staff and AAS the least.  I am finding this level very indepenent, with the exception of dictation paragraphs. 

We've been using this program and love it!  I am not a reviewer nor did I receive a free copy to try it on for size.  I've used many other programs over the years and used to love AAS but what I found was that my two youngest were totally overwhelmed with remembering all the rules.  Yes, eventually you get to the level in AAS that has dictation but the sentences are short.  We were drudging through that curriculum and my visual spatial/right brained perfectionist was really having trouble working through lists and getting discouraged when the word he wrote was wrong.  He is VSL/RB and he needs to only see words two or three times (if that) and it is in his brain for good so the constant review with AAS was not a good fit for him.  I really wanted to give SUS for my ds that is severely dyslexic and dysgraphic with memory issues because he really had issues remembering all the spelling issues.  We finally have a product that both are enjoying and working hard on mastering.  The colored pencils and marking the selection is excellent for interacting with the written word.  Each day is not a long drawn out lesson.  The copy work is cut down to manageable chunks for retention.  They love no rule day (4th day of the program) where they can draw and write their own story or they can write their own version of the lesson or write what might follow the poem, etc.  My kids have gotten so creative on no rule day that it has been so much fun to see what they come up with -- so far a lot of military stories.  I've found that they have begun to take great care doing these lessons but it is transferring to other subjects.  The other programs (and I've used the gamut with 4 kids) just didn't connect for them.  Some kids don't need all those rules clouding up the brain.  They need to picture it in their minds and then write it down and this program essentially teaches them to do this.  I know when I'm writing something and I forget how to spell something I try spelling it out on paper and altering the spelling as I see it.  If you want a program with hand-holding, lists of words and rules to master each week then this is not the program for you.  It is short and sweet and gets the job done but it is not necessarily a method in which most adults are familiar with because most of us grew up with spelling books, weekly tests and lots of write this word in a sentence type program.

I bought Spelling U See and we used it for several weeks, but just couldn't stick with it.  I really wanted to like it, but it was a lot of copy work of words that my kids already knew how to spell and they felt it was quite babyish with the nursery rhymes.

This was us too. No teaching at all. If I wanted my kids to copy or be dictated some random words to write then I can choose my own for free. I just don't see how kids can learn spelling and retain it with this program. There was a lot of repetition but my kids found it tedious. I guess I just thought there would be "more" to the program than dictation. It seems expensive for what you get.