Menu

Instruct me in bedsheets

Ginevra

I want to buy nice sheets for my bed, but have no idea what thread count matters and what is just overkill. I do not want them to pill! I do not want the fitted sheet elastic to go all flaccid on me! I don't want to spend a bajillion dollars, but my current sheets are not cutting it. Help me.

I like 400 count.  More than 400 starts to not "breathe" and are hotter.  100% cotton is softer, especially as they age.

LLBean is reliable and occasionally on sale.  The Company Store is also good and occasionally has sales, but still not cheap.  TJMaxx sometimes has good deals.

None of them last as long as they used to.

You can buy suspender-like things to clip on the sheets if the elastic dies.

Know the depth of your mattress--a sheet made for a shallower mattress will have elastic problems.

I have a nice flannel set from LL Bean, and DS has a set from PBK that have held up well. But they are kind of in the bajillion dollars category to me.

Just to complicate matters, I've read that a high thread count can be misleading, as it could still be an inferior cotton. I've heard good things about Kirkland brand (Costco) sheets. I got some recently and am happy with them so far; the only drawback is that the pillowcases are enormous. I could hide a body in one of those things.

Some people love the stretchy t-shirt fabric sheets. Others hate them with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. So more ambiguity for you.

I usually buy sheets from The Company Store.  However, recently someone here pointed me to some sheets at Costco and I love them.  I can't remember what the brand was (not Kirkland, though I suppose it's possible - I really don't remember), but they're cotton (100%) sateen.  Soft and silky but not cold.  The thread count might be 400, can't remember.  I bought them in the store, $50 for a king set.  These ones do not appear on the website currently.  I was always a percale girl but I'm converted.

One other thing I love about them - they do not take up tons of room in the washer.  With 8 people and then frequent guests on top of that, I hate washing linens.  This makes it easier and I so wish I had discovered these before buying sheets for our cabin, where we get a lot of guests.

I really like the Costco Kirkland sheets. They're smooth and cool. Not too soft and shifty feeling.

I may do this. I need the make a Costco run.

I'm not big on those stretchy tee-shirt type sheets. We have a set at our beach house and I don't like how they bunch into a little shower cap. They don't fold.

We also like our Kirkland brand sheets from Costco.

We also recently bought some sheets at IKEA.  We have sets in the Dvala and Gaspa lines and like them both though we have not had them long enough to assess durability.  Gaspa is a sateen sheet which is very smooth and soft.  My kids love them.  Bonus that we found my son a set in gunmetal gray.  

I despise knit or microfiber sheets and I don't understand fleece sheets.  That would be so hot!

Well, I bought the sateen ones at Costco (Charisma, I think) just 2 years ago, and now the fitted sheet is wearing through where dh's calves hit--hairy leg friction? And I think the thread count was pretty decent. I'm blaming the sateen and am now in the market for crisp 100% cotton. I read the reviews on Lands End and LLBean and both get comments that the quality isn't what it used to be--too bad. I love the 100% cotton sheets from Lands End that I got maybe 10 years ago (they do wrinkle--not for perfectionists).

I despise knit or microfiber sheets and I don't understand fleece sheets.  That would be so hot!

Fleece sheets are absolutely wonderful here in Oregon from about October-May. Soooo comfy-cozy--a delight to crawl into bed. But now is the time for cotton!

What kind do you like? I like cotton in the hot months and flannel in the warmer months. Last year my mom got us these micro-fleece sheets from BB&B and I adore them. I never, ever considered sleeping on fleece (yuck!) but these sheets are amazing. It is like sleeping on a marshmallow. I thought she was crazy, but they are now my cold weather fave.

My favorite cotton sheets come from sears, of all places. And LL Bean and Pottery Barn does indeed have nice flannel ones, but they are expensive. However, the LL bean sheets have lasted forever and still look great. The PB ones aren't old enough for me to comment either way.

My mom got the boys some pottery barn sheets that are made from bamboo and feel like those tshirt sheets. They are actually very nice and the kids love them. But, I am not spending that much for the queen size version, lol. 

But I think there are too many choices, lol. Very overwhelming!

I did a stint working in a better bedding store (they *only* sold higher end queen and king stuff so I learned a few things.)   I have been happy with the "hotel" supima satin (weave) sheets (they have side hems) from bbb and the sheet sets from Costco. (I was able to get sets for under $100, so they were well worth it.)

I bought a really pretty embroidered  "high quality" sheet set from lands end . . . NOT impressed.  they were rough (compared to what I was used to.) they are also starting to pill.  the only nice thing I can say about them is I bought them off the clearance rack because the color was discontinued. (other color's were still available.)  I use the duvet cover and the shams, and rarely use the sheets. (cause I want softer against my face.)

sateen is the weave - they are very soft, but they wear out quickly. 

some of the *really* high thread counts are misleading - the are bundling ultrafine threads and weaving them as though they were one, but counting them as individual threads.  so, you really aren't getting the density they're claiming.  and the ultrathreads are weak.

that said, things to look for:

long staple cotton (supima, Egyptian) that has been combed and carded (makes a stronger thread since all the fibers are going the same direction. not all of it has been) - has fewer ends to stick out.  (stay away from poly - it is rough and will pill.)

I have been happy with sheets in 350-400 tc range - but it's not just the tc, it the weave and the fiber. my dd had some better 700 tc sheets, they weren't that much better.

I want to buy nice sheets for my bed, but have no idea what thread count matters and what is just overkill. I do not want them to pill! I do not want the fitted sheet elastic to go all flaccid on me! I don't want to spend a bajillion dollars, but my current sheets are not cutting it. Help me.

Charisma brand is really good.  I get them on sale at Tuesday Morning.  I don't care about color very much, as long as it is white.  :0)

I've been happy in the 300 count range with these sheets.  

What kind do you like? I like cotton in the hot months and flannel in the warmer months.

I do like flannel during winter, but now I want a soft cotton for summer. I once had the perfect sheets, but it was just pure luck and I don't know why they were so perfect. They were a very nice cotton, soft, but dense with some weight to them. I had them for years and years, but eventually the fitted got a hole in it. I'm not even sure where I bought them, though most likely it was BB&B.