Menu

How much do you spend on books/games

LikeToListen

How much do you typically spend on books/games for pre-k/k? Do you have a small library for them? 

Its the right age to introduce them to books and different games, but I would like to know how much one spends on an average? Getting from library is an option - I prefer to get storybooks from library and have my own science books (simple ones to talk about seasons, weather or world). And there's an investment on puzzle games too.

How does it work for you?

I have no clue how much we have spent. I don't typically buy story books, preferring to use the library. We do own a lot of books, most were given to us though, but I will buy favorites.

Almost all of our games and puzzles were given to us as well. I will occasionally see one on sale and pick it up.

As far as our curriculum budget, I keep a running list of things I'd like to buy in the future. When a sale or conference comes up I guesstimate how much my list would cost and we work it into our budget for the month.

A lot.

I would guess that I spent $400-ish per year when my oldest was in that range just with getting started: some good basic texts, tons of early readers, all the basic games, etc. Now I *only* spend about $150-ish per year. That sounds like a lot, but it's split up over the course of the year: a book in their Easter basket, a book for their birthday, several good nonfiction books and a puzzle or two when we do our homeschool order in the summer, several books and games at Christmas. Of course you have to multiply that by 2, because I have always seem to have both a kindergartner and a preschooler at any given time.

We have a lot of books, but I like to have books in the house. We check out a lot of library books too, but it's something different for a child to own a book and love it and know that it's "mine".

We really prioritize education expenses here, and by many standards we probably overspend, but I strongly believe in these early years good quality games, toys, books and puzzles are really important.

Note, my numbers have to factor in international postage, so you can take a third our so off them from the start if you live in america. We have a book budget of $150 a month. Probably about $80 of this is spent on actual books for the children, the rest is books for dh and I and postage costs.

Educational toys and games are usually given as gifts so that helps a bit with cost since we were going to spend money on gifts anyway. But I'd say, between items already purchased and planned purchases between now and christmas we will spend around $800 this year (though $200 of that was on a single special toy). Next year I expect to spend less since we will already have a lot of things, but this is our first year with a pre schooler.

I know my budgets are higher than many people around here, and we don't actually have a lot of money but we have chosen to sacrifice some things to allow us to make these purchases. We plan to have a larger family so we also have the comfort of knowing what we buy now for our eldest will be used by at least two more children after her, which makes the price tag less daunting

I guess I just haven't found much need for special items in the preschool years? I let the kids play outside a lot and use their imaginations. Sticks to use as swords are free. Now if you don't have access to a good library, I'd recommend upping your book budget. Reading to your kids will be the single most beneficial thing you can do for their education in those early years.

We have the budget to afford things, but I just can't think of much my preschoolers NEEDED in order to be educationally or developmentally well prepared. They need Mom and Dad talking to them, reading to them, and involving them in daily chores and meal preparation. Take them outside to help you in the garden. Talk to them about the world around them. They will learn an awful lot without spending a dime. Right now, my younger kids are in the garage with their Dad, looking at baby spiders that just hatched. *shudder*

I agree with Boscopup.  I have books we bought from sales ($1 - $3/book) and library books.  We have books in every room.  We have probably close to 100 library books.  It's such a joy when you see your child sit there and read to himself/herself. 

We don't spend much on games.  But we do have a few educational games because my son is a kinesthetic learner. 

HTH

I love curriculum, so I spend quite a bit on actual curricula pieces (math, phonics, writing, etc). As far as literature, we do not really utilize the library, so I buy pretty much every book I think we'll need - a bulk order at the beginning of the year, and then I pick up odds and ends at Barnes and Noble throughout the year. I can tell you what I spent on curricula this year for K (about $500-ish), and that included about $100 in literature, but I can't really guesstimate a total because we'll spend more throughout the year.

We've spent quite a bit on logic games as well, but those doubled as birthday/christmas gifts (because they were requested - yay!).

Think I spent about $200/month in average on children books and educational toys when we were in Korea and my kids were under 3yo. The library there only allowed me to borrow 5 books for 2 weeks so I didn't utilize it much. I bought some advanced books in Korean as well so that I can use them to teach my kids the language in the U.S. 

Soon after I came to the U.S. last year, I bought the readers of BFIAR and Sonlight 3/4 but found them quite expensive for paperbooks. And I realized most of those classic picture books were available at our local library. Since then, I've spent zero on literature. Our library allows me to check out up to 50 books for 3 weeks, and I can renew them for 10 times. How awesome!! There are always 50 library books everywhere in my house.

I still spend some on buying board games, jigsaw puzzles, dvds, legos, play doh and magnet pieces for board ($50/month?) since I want to keep them or can't rent those. Oh, and of course, a bulk of money is starting to go towards curriculums, textbooks and workbooks. 

My library has book sales four times a year. Kids books are 10 cents each, so I usually walk out of there having spent $2 or so.

My kids aren't big on organized board games (with the exception of Sneaky Snacky Squirrel) so we usually pass on those. They have a great time together coming up with all sorts of adventures for their dolls/stuffed animals and Octonauts toys, so I think they'll turn out ok. :)

Well I have 6-7K books in my house, so take this with a grain of salt, but I suggest you buy books that become favorites.  Use the library a LOT.  It's good to buy books, but buy the ones they seem to be using a lot or keep wanting to reread.  Buy them special things that are hard to find at the library.  Also consider getting an iPad or kindle and putting onto it free ebooks.  I think you can get the Lang Fairy Tales books that way.  You didn't mention audiobooks.  Your library will have them or you can get them through Audible.

Games you can sometimes get through a lending library or teacher resource lab at the cc.  In general though, it's easier just to buy.  I LOVE that Sneaky Squirrel game and wish it hadn't come out too late for my ds!  We've had lots of game threads, and you really can't go wrong buying quality games.

Thank you all.  I tend own a lot of books since I like to read.  I bought curriculum for DD this year since she seemed to be self-motivated to learn.  We only had a few story books for us to read to her.  She now has begun reading and that made me get additional books for her.   She has been asking a lot of questions on science (typical why and what) so I got her science books too.   It suddenly seemed a lot in a few months time.  Mine doesn't seem out of line  though :)

Thanks again.

If I went back in time, I'd spend less on books and more on games.  I waited on some game things that were pricey - like the Right Start games, for example - and since that was really the best way we could have been using our time back then, I should have splurged a little more.  Books, on the other hand, we ended up reading a few times and then being done with.  I relied on the library a lot more.  Over time, I learned not to buy a book unless it was going to be something we'd genuinely read several times.

Of course, more is relative.  If you have a tiny budget, then you can't spend a ton on games and books.  If you're lucky enough to have more resources, I think it's worth spending on.

I don't have a specific number, but I check classified for lots and then buy a bunch used at a time. I then sort by topic and if we don't use them, we will re-sell, donate, etc. I also buy lots and lots of Usborne books because I enjoy their content presentation and quality and my kids adore them. I actually became a rep - just to get the discount.  As for games, we buy games new. We play a wide variety of games depending on what skills the kids needs to work on or just for variety and reward time.  I often try to buy games that are either a level lower or a level higher than the kids rather than right on target because it seems to either relax them (level lower), or challenge them (level higher), than just bore them.

We have been playing a lot of memory and math related games lately... I should get some that engage reading skills... thinking out loud.

I budgeted about $400-500 for books this year (kindy) and we'll spend another $100-150 on games.

We buy books that are likely to be read for years to come and that I won't hate when she requests I reread them. This is a more expensive year for books for us because in addition to some good books at her reading level, I'm starting a collection of longer books for read alouds and buying some of the gorgeous, intricate pop-up books. I don't buy a lot of nonfiction because she absorbs it so quickly that the library is a better bet, but some of the meatier Usborne books have been worth their price.

We like games here and since DD is an only child, we don't have many yet. Just bought Kaboodle and Hisss!

I don't spend much on games, as I can just adjust the rules or objectives of games I already own, to make them suitable for DS. There's so much we can do with a pack of cards and a bag of scrabble tiles! I often invent math games also, or learn traditional games from various cultures, which can be played using improvised materials. I am looking out for snakes and ladders, and would like to get some dominoes, too.

We still have many of the quality picture story books from my childhood, and DS receives a few more every birthday and Christmas. Using a kindle means I can afford to buy new read alouds whenever we need them, and I'll continue buying him hard copy readers as he progresses.

We seem to have abundant books and games without spending much at all. :)

I don't spend a lot on games because we don't play a lot of board games here. Picture books, chapter books etc are bought used at library book sales, garage sales, consignment shops, or we just use the library.

I don't budget or keep up with how much we spend on books. I try to only buy quality stories. I don't spend money on twaddle such as character books about Dora or whatever.

I spend maybe 50 or so printing, laminating, making my own Montessori inspired hands on activities. That's not a huge deal either.

I buy explode the code workbooks, handwriting without tears, maybe a plaid phonics or kumon activity book at various times.

20-30 dollars?

Most things I would use as homeschooling reference books for prek, I already own from my older children. Peak with Books, Mudpies, OPGTR, arts and crafts etc.

Most picture books we still have from when my oldest was little. 

So most of the price of prek I find goes to supplies for hands on activities.

• 1 month later...

I've bought a bunch of board games and puzzles at consignment sales.  The only thing I've bought new as far as games go were card games, Old Maid and Go Fish. 

Our public library has a rather poor collection.  I don't have as great of luck with books at consignment sales, but I look.  People keep the good ones and sell the others.  My kids have an amazon list for books that is longer than their personal wishlists for toys and other items.  I spend a lot on books.  I'll buy used hardback books on amazon before I buy the new paperback, since my littles are really tough on books.  

Thrift stores and yard sales are my friends :laugh:  I love books, so I'm constantly buying them...for about 25 cents a piece. We have shelves of books in every room. I barely paid anything for 95% of them. Rarely, if there's a book I really like, I will pay full price. Very rarely.

As for curriculum, I've spent varying amounts. I bought a lot for my first child. A lot of it we didn't end up using. Now, knowing what we like, I've spent less on the second child, but he's getting a better education.

Pre-K: probably around $50

K: around $150

We're not really game people (okay, I'm not really a game person), so I don't set aside money there.