Menu

Dumb questions about cleaning outdoor furniture

Alicia64

My parents are ultra-clean, but they didn't teach me a lot.

I have patio furniture that's wrought iron. A table and four chairs. It was black but I painted it white so that bugs couldn't easily hide.

What do I use to clean it? I have something called Greased Lightning -- is that okay to use? Do you spray these tables and just wipe them down with a sponge?

Also, I bought a red umbrella used and it was faded when I bought it. But within weeks it's even more faded now. Do you know how to bring some of the color back? How do you take care of umbrellas like this? Do you put them down when it rains? Put them down unless you're using? We like the look of it, but it's clearly getting faded from the sun.

Any tips welcome! I know these are dorky questions!!

Alley

I am sure that it would be fine to clean it with whatever cleaner you haveon hand, the one you mentioned, vinegar, bleach, windex, one of the more "natural" cleaners on the market.  Just spray it down and scrub/wipe.

As far as the umbrella, you cannot restore its color unless you dye it.  If you want it to not fade in the sun, you will have to fold it up when not in use.  That seems like a lot of trouble if you use it often though.

Here are my instructions- 

Have kids put on swimsuit.

Hand kids a bucket with soapy water and sponges.

Have kids clean the furniture.  

Sit back in a chair near but not too close kids with a glass of water and relax.

:lol:

I normally just use soap and water on the outdoor stuff. If it is really dirty/stained I use a magic eraser. 

Here are my instructions- 

Have kids put on swimsuit.

Hand kids a bucket with soapy water and sponges.

Have kids clean the furniture.  

Sit back in a chair near but not too close kids with a glass of water and relax.

:lol:

I normally just use soap and water on the outdoor stuff. If it is really dirty/stained I use a magic eraser. 

Love, love, love the kid-idea, but I forgot to say: it's a second story deck. Our backyard slopes. So no hose up here.

But I do like your magic eraser plan -- good one.

Alley