Menu

Sunburn through Rash Guard

FriedClams

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

DS is fair skinned so we have him wear SPF 70 on his exposed parts, and a short sleeved rash guard. This year's shirt has dark blue shoulders, red body, white stripes under the arms to the hem. We have not been putting sunscreen on under the shirt, as we've never had to before. It's a Lands End shirt so it's pretty thick. So I'm wondering....

Has anyone has a kid burn through a swim shirt?

Could it be the shirt batch?

Could it be this year's color choice (dark on top)? DDs is the same on top - no issues at all.

It's so weird! Thanks a million for input!

I just checked the site - supposed to be SPF 50 with 98% blockage. It's so weird to me but it looks like a sunburn. We spend a couple hours a day at the pool and without sunscreen he'd be a lobster. With it he gets a little pink at times. My latest guess is that he has burned through and we need to spray him before the shirt, too. Bummer because one reason I love he shirts is the lower chemical requirement on the kid's skin.

It's a salt pool, and it's not the dyes (the dark blue covers the shoulders, not the red part). I think I'm going to call Lands End today and see what they can do to help. They've always been great when we've called before. Last year his shirt was green and we never had an issue. It's so strange and I'm a little bummed no one said, "Yes! We've had that!!" LOL!!! The hive is a great place - thanks for the help!!

my friend's son gets a rash from pool water.  He needs to rinse off right away. She keeps two rash guards for him, one for swimming (it gets wet) and a dry one for after he rinses off. He knows to switch between, but she always rinses off his wet shirt really well and spreads it out in the sun in case he forgets and gets his dry shirt wet, lol.