Menu

What are you reading this summer?

For me:

Read aloud with the youngers:

• Swallows and Amazons. Actually listening to it on tape which is good b/c I realized for the second time that I'm not much for this book though ds loves it!
  • Next up: the Narnia series in the order they were written.  

I need to find a good real aloud for the olders.  

Lisa

Finishing the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series with ds. 

How to Read Literature Like a Professor

The Martian Chronicles 

A Mindful Nation

I'm also reading up on some early modern history in preparation for my university class this fall. 

For myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Translation-Commentary-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0544442784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402097752&sr=8-1&keywords=jrr+tolkien+beowulf

http://www.amazon.com/Gilgamesh-English-Version-Stephen-Mitchell/dp/0743261690/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402098375&sr=1-1&keywords=gilgamesh+mitchell

For my youngest, we're rereading:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Ships-Before-Troy-Story/dp/1845073592/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0500NK2WS74Q4HJ8WTH5

http://www.amazon.com/Wanderings-Odysseus-Odyssey-WANDERINGS-ODYSSEUS/dp/B00824X43G/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402097904&sr=1-6&keywords=wanderings+of+odysseus

http://www.amazon.com/In-Search-Homeland-Story-Aeneid/dp/0385729375/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402098073&sr=8-1&keywords=in+search+of+a+homeland+the+story+of+the+aeneid

We just finished the Middle Ages using SOTW2 and the Activity Gide recommendations, so I want to review some of the best of the literature from The Ancients this summer.  We've just finished:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilgamesh-King-The-Trilogy/dp/0887764371/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402098222&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Ludmilla+Zemann

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0887764363/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=15YTQGX1QGCCGN1NA331&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0887763804/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KFMMDZ7W6YEKNYDNF2B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Planning on re-reading All Creatures Great and Small since Dd will be reading it to round out her literature course for the year. Not sure what else.  I'm considering also re-reading Agatha Christie: An Autobiography.

I checked out Intuition Pumps by Daniel Dennett as a random library find, but it's really hooked me. Never really considered myself interested in philosophical argument techniques, but this is both meaty and often funny at the same time, and despite the thickness of the book, the chapters are nice manageable chunks.

I just started Les Miserables. In a way, it was an impulse purchase that I made because I was in Paris.

But I also chose it because I have been feeling like I have lost my attention span for thick books, and that has been bugging me. The 1432 pages should rectify or cement the feeling.

I finished Enrique's Journey not long ago:

http://www.enriquesjourney.com/about.html

It's a book about teens coming to the US illegally in search of their mothers and was a worthy read IMO.  I "selected" it since it's the summer reading book for youngest's college.

At the moment I'm catching up on magazines (Nutrition Action, Reader's Digest, World, and Reminisce) as they make "shorter" reads during the season where I spend a bit of time outdoors doing other things.  I also have another 50 pages or so to go to finish Oracle Bones:

http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Bones-Journey-Through-China/dp/0060826592

It's a book about China that I started a year ago and has taken me this long to finish.  It's not that it isn't interesting... for some reason, I'm just slower with that one.  Peter's first book, River Town:

http://www.amazon.com/River-Town-Years-Yangtze-P-S/dp/0060855029

I finished much more quickly and also enjoyed.

Due to the other thread about it, I might pick up Glass Castles next... but I do want to catch up on the stack of magazines I have first.

I'm in the middle of Paradise Lost.  I'm enjoying it, but I can't read it very quickly, I think because my brain takes longer to process poetry than prose.

I'm also in the middle of D. E. Smith's History of Mathematics, Volume II.  It's very readable and interesting.

The next thing on my list is Andrew Peterson's The Warden and the Wolf King.  (We already have a copy because we were backers of the Kickstarter for it.)  I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm making myself finish Paradise Lost before I'm allowed to read it. ;)

After that, I don't know.  I have all my to-read books in Goodreads and use a random number generator to pick what comes next (one paper book and one ebook going at a time).  I am behind on my goal for the year, so I hope it picks something short next!  :laugh:  

Oh, I do have a couple of books that were mentioned around here requested through interlibrary loan, so whenever those show up I'll read them - Climbing Parnassus and The Latin-Centered Curriculum.

I make it a point to not think during the summer. Beach reads only. I just finished The Sugar Queen and am now starting on the Outlander series at the recommendation of a friend.

I hope you enjoy Outlander!!  It's my all time favorite series ever!

After that, I don't know.  I have all my to-read books in Goodreads and use a random number generator to pick what comes next (one paper book and one ebook going at a time).  I am behind on my goal for the year, so I hope it picks something short next! 

What a great idea!  I've been trying to figure out how to pick what's next on my Kindle and this worked great now that Goodreads pulls in your Amazon purchases. :)

For me

The Bride Wore Chocolate by Shirley Jump (random Kindle read)

Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid

Written In My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander book #8) by Diana Gabaldon

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

For schooling

Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac

Travels with Charley by Steinbeck

I re-read several of my favorite Jane Austen books while we were in transit. It gave me a craving for more literature set in that period. So I've been reading a number of Georgette Heyer books. They were written mostly in the 1950s, but retain a sweet quality that is missing from a lot of modern historical fiction. 

I've also picked up 1491 again as I'm thinking through what history to do with my older kids next year.  I'm still waffling between US History and European History.

I re-read several of my favorite Jane Austen books while we were in transit. It gave me a craving for more literature set in that period. So I've been reading a number of Georgette Heyer books. They were written mostly in the 1950s, but retain a sweet quality that is missing from a lot of modern historical fiction.

I've also picked up 1491 again as I'm thinking through what history to do with my older kids next year. I'm still waffling between US History and European History.

Huge Georgette Heyer fan here! Which one is your favorite?

I have way too many books. Who knows what I will actually end up reading. I'm currently reading Why Don't Students Like School, recommended here. Just finished Robinson Crusoe and How to Fail at Nearly Everything (really enjoyed both). Also working on How to Read a Book, and Teaching as a Subversive Activity. On deck is Angry Conversations with God; The Liberal Arts Tradition; The Up Side of Down; Food and Western Disease, and whatever my dd11 picks out to read next.

So many books, so little time...

I'm about half-way through One Hundred Years of Solitude, and am not sure what I will read next.  I've had a bit of a hankering for Jane Eyre lately.  Ds and Dh are recommending "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" so I may go with that. 

With the kids we are just finishing up Five Run Away Together by Enid Blyton (our third in a row of the Famous Five series and I think I'm ready to be done with them for a while, though the kids beg and beg for more!).  I think we will read a Shakespeare play or two next.  After that maybe Pilgrim's Progress and round off the summer with A Child's History of the World.

Anna Karenina was on LAST summer's list, never made it. Ugh. Oh well, guess it's not going anywhere. I'll get there. Might not be til my boys read it in high school, but I'll get there :001_rolleyes: .

Several years ago I made it 2/3 of the way through and haven't been able to give it another try, maybe some day...

Not much of anything just for myself, but I am thoroughly enjoying the books I'm working through as I'm making plans for next year. :)

For DS/rising 10th: The Road to Middle Earth (Shippey), The Monsters and the Critics (Tolkien), Of Other Worlds (Lewis), Mere Christianity, and such.

For DD/rising 9th: the classic American literature I haven't already read or can't remember clearly enough :P

Oh, I've also been enjoying the essays I'm collecting to use with AP English Language and Composition.  This is a mostly non-fiction course with a lot of focus on essays.  I've (re)discovered how much I love essays by E.B. White.  I was going through a couple of Reagan's speeches (by Peggy Noonan) on D-Day (Boys of Pointe du Hoc and the Challenger Disaster speech - I'd forgotten that he postponed the State of the Union because of the loss of the shuttle).

I also picked up a cool older book called Comparative Essays Present and Past (part of Noble's Comparative Classics, edited by Warren W. Read. My copy was copyright 1948). This has collections of essays on various themes like War, Companionship, Nationalism, Books, ect. My favorite pairing are "A Dissertation Upon Roast Pig" by Charles Lamb and "On Pigs as Pets" by G. K. Chesterton. Oddly enough I was at a little party back in February with a bunch of friends of my in-laws. Somehow we got on the topic of writing (or pigs) and several of them started talking about the Charles Lamb essay. I'd never heard of it before, but it is worth looking up.

I am currently finishing Ceremony (Silko). Lovely writing, and astoundingly, her first novel! Such a mature, sure hand, I would never have guessed that.

If time permits soon, I want to finally get around to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (Clarke).

Also hoping to get to The Aeneid (Sarah Ruden translation) that DH is working thru for his MFA classes that start in August; I thought I'd try to do some reading alongside him. ;)

After reading and thoroughly enjoying Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, I am eager to try his Artist of the Floating World, or Remains of the Day.

Some of the titles in this recent thread piqued my interest: "Lesser Known Classics That Should Be Known" -- a lot of 19th century works, along the lines of Austen or Bronte in there… :)

A friend also gave me The Scar (Mieville), but is now backtracking and saying maybe I shouldn't read it as it may be too scary for me… So, any reviews/comments there would be appreciated. :)

Just for fun, "fluff" summer reads:

- finish up the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries (Bebris)

- finish up Chet & Bernie mysteries (Quinn)

- Austenland (Hale)

- try Her Royal Spyness mysteries (Bowen)

And, of course, I'll probably not have time for ANY of that  :tongue_smilie: , because I'll be reading and preparing for the 2 Lit classes I'm teaching for co-op this coming year, one for gr. 6-8, one for gr. 9-12. Each focuses on classic sci-fi and fantasy works.

Huge Georgette Heyer fan here! Which one is your favorite?

I'm not Sebastian, and it's been so many years since I read Georgette Heyer that I no longer can speak to my own favorites. Here though are a few articles/reviews that might be of interest:

My ranking of Heyer by Jo Walton

REVIEW: Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer -- there are 'Related posts' at the end of the review that might be of interest as well as many comments

Jennifer Kloester's Biography of Georgette Heyer -- many of the comments deal with favorite Heyer characters and books

Here's a link to the articles/reviews that have been tagged Georgette Heyer on the Heroes and Heartbreakers site.  (Hmm, that site is down as I write this.  Hopefully it will be up again soon.)

Regards,

Kareni

Oooohh, Lisa!  Mornings on Horseback is wonderful. Read that many, many years ago--fascinating!

I'm reveling in some very light summer reading: The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister. Its pretty fun. I also look forward to indulging in a mystery or two. Probably by Donna Leon---or I might tackle The Woman in White.

The heaviest thing I'm reading this month is a great novel of the 20th century Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. 

My goal this summer is to start catching up on a few 20th century classics. I've been immersed in ancient and medieval lit for sooo many years!!

Hands down my favorite was Unknown Ajax. But so far I've enjoyed all I've read except These Old Shades. I couldn't get past the first couple chapters of that one.

I read another book a few months ago that I've been recommending Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. Really good. Hard to describe because it was so much richer than the simple plot would suggest.

I'm not Sebastian, and it's been so many years since I read Georgette Heyer that I no longer can speak to my own favorites. Here though are a few articles/reviews that might be of interest:

My ranking of Heyer by Jo Walton

REVIEW: Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer -- there are 'Related posts' at the end of the review that might be of interest as well as many comments

Jennifer Kloester's Biography of Georgette Heyer -- many of the comments deal with favorite Heyer characters and books

Here's a link to the articles/reviews that have been tagged Georgette Heyer on the Heroes and Heartbreakers site.  (Hmm, that site is down as I write this.  Hopefully it will be up again soon.)

Regards,

Kareni

Oh yes! I have been so glad to see Heyer's books back in print. I read some of these novels WAAAY, way back in my college days. It would be so fun to re-read one of them.

Thanks for the interesting links!!

The heaviest thing I'm reading this month is a great novel of the 20th century Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. 

My goal this summer is to start catching up on a few 20th century classics. I've been immersed in ancient and medieval lit for sooo many years!!

My older 4 have read this book as part of an English lit tutorial they have all been part of. They keep recommending it and I even picked it up once, but put it back down for .... life? or other books I was reading at the time?  Several have gone on to read some other works by Waugh.  

Happy reading!

Lisa

My older 4 have read this book as part of an English lit tutorial they have all been part of. They keep recommending it and I even picked it up once, but put it back down for .... life? or other books I was reading at the time?  Several have gone on to read some other works by Waugh.  

Happy reading!

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa!  My oldest son and his wife also highly recommended it. I've only gotten about a third of the way through it; I'm enjoying it, but reserving judgement until the end.

Did you know that 3 of Waugh's novels made Modern Library's List: 100 best Novels of the 20th century!! Its funny that most people have never heard of him.

The 3 that made it were:

A Handful of Dust

Scoop

Brideshead Revisited

I've read upwards of 20 mystery and thriller books in the past couple months, because I'm writing a mystery and it helps me with pacing and structure to emulate successful authors - Agatha Christie (classic!), Gillian Flynn (dark, disturbing, beautifully written), Mary Higgins Clark (commercial boiler plate fiction, but best selling), Janet Evanovich (same), Martha Grimes (Richard Jury series), several "themed" cozies, and many more...

Also, The Abolition of Man, 4-Hour Work Week, How an Economy Grows and How It Fails. Those are on my nightstand or in audible form.

I just loaded a fresh stack of literature to read over the summer in prep for next school year - late renaissance to modern.

I sit too much.

:glare:  I shouldn't read these types of threads; I was just planning to read a couple of Lee Child- Jack Reacher books  :D .   Nah, I was actually going to try and read a few biographies (I have only read one or two in my life): Julia Child, Ronald Regan, and Richard Feynman. Additionally, I hope to read The Prince and sprinkle in some Jack Reacher books.