Menu

Disney pros-is this price reasonable?

Meadowlark

Ok, I know there are tons of Disney pros on here, and I'm seeking advice.

I got a free dining mailer today, and just out of curiosity called the number. She priced out a 6day/5night vacation for 7 of us at the art of animation cars suite...and the price was around $3600. OR, 2 rooms for a little less at a value resort. This includes a 5 day pass (no park hopper) for 7 of us (1 baby) with the free counter service dining. And it's in September.

1. How is that price?

2. Am I nuts for wanting to bring my 7,6,3,2,1 yr. olds to Disney? I guess the pluses are that I wouldn't have to pay airfare for the 1 yr. old, and we could squeeze into the suite at A of A.

Thoughts appreciated!

Nuts to take those ages to Disney :). There's a reason why you see parents walking around Disney looking miserable...it's a lot of work to keep,all the kids happy, and even then they aren't all happy, and you paid ALOT of money so they need to be happy, lol. 3, maybe 4, won't remember a single thing about their trip in another year.

Well I think those are great ages and your kids will LOVE it.  My favorite year that we took the kids to Disney was when they were 9, 5, and 2.  Crowds should also be relatively low in September, though free dining will up it a bit.  September will be blazin' hot, so be prepared for that.

The price sounds reasonable enough, but our choice has always been to stay offsite and save money by bringing our own food into the parks.  Disney counter service food is nothing to write home about, even if it is "free."  There are a number of beautiful offsite accommodations where you can get a 2 or 3 bedroom condo complete with kitchen, laundry facilities, and a great resort pool for a little more than the cost of one single room at a value.  Of course there's no free dining when you do this, but to me the space to spread out is worth sacrificing a counter service lunch for a PB & J.

Sorry to disagree, but it's not a good price. For what you are saying, it should be about $3,050. Unless what you are saying above is not the whole story. :-)

We are going at the same time and staying in the same resort. We are also paying for 2 adults and 3 kids. We are staying one night longer and have 2 extra days on our tickets and have upgraded our dining to the regular plan. Our trip is about $100 more than what you quoted.

The problem is that they don't usually give you a price breakdown when they quote you on a package, so you have to know what price is appropriate before you even call. I also discovered when I called that they had added the park hopper option, even though I specifically told them I didn't want it. So, I had to call back and have it removed. I suggest you look up, for yourself, the rack rate on the hotel and the ticket prices to get a number and see where it might be different. The rate does change in middle September. The rate is also higher on the weekend. Also, I would upgrade to the regular dining plan. It is about $18 for adults, and only like $5 for kids. (That is per day.) But, you would be able to do character meals with your kids or some other fun sit down options.

The tired, cranky parents and kids at Disney are the ones who don't plan ahead. :-) Also, staying on property makes it easier to take little ones back to the hotel for a nap. Older ones can nap too or go to the pool with Dad.

I have taken my kids to Disney 8 times. We typically go once a year. So, I have been with infants, toddlers, preschoolers, etc. It's always fun. My kids don't remember their first steps or their first words, but it's still a magical memory for me. ;-) Disney is the same thing to me. I enjoy seeing the little ones enjoy themselves.

Sorry to disagree, but it's not a good price. For what you are saying, it should be about $3,050. Unless what you are saying above is not the whole story. :-)

We are going at the same time and staying in the same resort. We are also paying for 2 adults and 3 kids. We are staying one night longer and have 2 extra days on our tickets and have upgraded our dining to the regular plan. Our trip is about $100 more than what you quoted.

The problem is that they don't usually give you a price breakdown when they quote you on a package, so you have to know what price is appropriate before you even call. I also discovered when I called that they had added the park hopper option, even though I specifically told them I didn't want it. So, I had to call back and have it removed. I suggest you look up, for yourself, the rack rate on the hotel and the ticket prices to get a number and see where it might be different. The rate does change in middle September. The rate is also higher on the weekend. Also, I would upgrade to the regular dining plan. It is about $18 for adults, and only like $5 for kids. (That is per day.) But, you would be able to do character meals with your kids or some other fun sit down options.

The tired, cranky parents and kids at Disney are the ones who don't plan ahead. :-) Also, staying on property makes it easier to take little ones back to the hotel for a nap. Older ones can nap too or go to the pool with Dad.

I have taken my kids to Disney 8 times. We typically go once a year. So, I have been with infants, toddlers, preschoolers, etc. It's always fun. My kids don't remember their first steps or their first words, but it's still a magical memory for me. ;-) Disney is the same thing to me. I enjoy seeing the little ones enjoy themselves.

Oh, this is SO helpful. A couple of thoughts and questions...do you book a flight or the package first? As you can see, I'm VERY new at this. The woman I talked to at Disney was less than helpful. I tried to ask when was a good time to come, where to stay to make it affordable, what days of the week, etc, and she told me basically nothing.

This is kind do a pie in the sky dream, and I know the ages of my kids make it seem crazy (and maybe it is!) but something happened in life recently that makes me want to do the things I've been dreaming of doing, and not put it off because you just don't know what the future holds. Disney is a dream that we thought we'd do in about 5 years, but when we got that free dining thing in the mail, we both looked at each other and thought....why not now?

BUT, it is a lot of money! My DH really wants to stay on site, whether it be the suite at art of animation or 2 rooms at a value resort. We kind of want to stay a few days more, and I agree that we would probably upgrade to the dining plan.

My question is, how do you GET a rate like the one described? We are flexible as to dates. I waited 45 minutes on the phone to talk to someone, and like I said, it was an underwhelming, unpersonal conversation. If anyone has any advice, my ears are wide open.

I usually do it myself right on the Disney site, but you can also call a Disney travel agent. I think there's one on this board. :-) Something tells me she would be a lot more helpful. The only time I called was this most recent trip. I have a Disney credit card and the Free Dining was released to cardholders a little while back, but I had to call.

I book the flight separate and call Disney back with the info. I have only flown once. We did the Magical Express and everything. My kids were 5, 2, and 3 months. :-)