Menu

Starting Latin I in Sophomore Year

O.K. dear ones.  Just need some advice.  This is for my 3rd dear child. 

With the first two children, I started Latin in 7th grade and we got 2 credits of Latin in high school in addition to 2 credits of Spanish.  More of what Susan talks about in the WTM book.

And then comes the 3rd child. 

He grew up with strengths in Math and science, but in the early years, he struggled with his reading.  After YEARS of working on his reading, he is up to  above grade level in reading and continues to soar in math and science. 

BUT, we are just now starting in Latin, due to the "reading issue". 

He is "probably" going to major in engineering.  And at our local state university, he will not have to take any language courses in college. 

So, here is my question. 

If you had to start Latin, so late, what curriculum would YOU use, with a math/science guy, who is going to major in engineering?

Thanks,

Brenda

I had been looking at Henle, but had been advised it might be too difficult to use, since DS had no Latin background.  But I liked the structure of the Henle book.

Also on the list was........

First Form Latin

Latin Alive 1

Wheelock Latin(Oldest son brought this home from college)

Brenda

I had been looking at Henle, but had been advised it might be too difficult to use, since DS had no Latin background.  But I liked the structure of the Henle book.

Also on the list was........

First Form Latin

Latin Alive 1

Wheelock Latin(Oldest son brought this home from college)

Brenda

Hi, Brenda, Are you planning to sign him up for a class? If so, I think a Henle class would be fine. As a tenth grader, I'm not sure he needs any background to start a Latin 1 class. Latin for the New Millennium is another text you might want to check out. Not sure if anyone online courses use this text, but I have heard very good things about it. Also not sure how user-friendly it is if studying Latin independently. If you are planning to have your son study Latin on his own (wouldn't have worked here), you might want to start a thread asking for independent options for Latin.

Are you just planning on 2 years of Latin?  If you want to use Wheelock's you could but the syllabus from Mother of Divine Grace.  It has a two year schedule and quizzes for each chapter (the quizzes are not particularly rigorous, but are adequate).  You can fine the answer key to the textbook and workbook online.  The dd of a freind takes the online Memoria Press classes, and I don't think it is too overwhelming.

Yes, just planning on two years of Latin.  That is what we need, not particularly rigorous, but adequate.  Very well said.  Because our rigorous courses will be in math and science.  Want to give him time for that.  But also want to do something that would qualify as a high school level Latin.

Make sense?

I'll go check out Mother of Divine Grace syllabus.  Sounds promising.  And older brother could help us out on the weekends if needed.  He just completed his 4th semester of Latin at local university.  (B.A in Political Science-my history buff)

Don't think we want to do an online class for this or outside class, as our funds are being used for math and science.  Yes, yes, I know he would benefit from an outside class, but funds are just not there.

Ahhhh, yes, the Mother of Divine Grace has a syllabus for Henle AND Wheelocks!!  You ladies are GREAT!!  And "Mimi" I'll go check out the Getting Started with Latin.

One more question:

If you had to choose between Henle and Wheelocks , which would you use?  (Remember our goal is not to have a NLE student.  We just want to give him a background in this language to prepare him for college.  But not over the top.)

Thanks again!

Brenda

My ds used both Henle and Wheelock's in his first couple of years of Latin, and I found Wheelock's easier to use.  Basically I just felt the format of the book was easier for me.  This is purely a personal preference. I know Wheelock's has more vocabulary, but I think both teach grammar well  With Wheelock's I felt like we could just read the chapter, study the vocabulary, and sometimes we added in some of the workbook exercises. 

I really think either book would be fine.  I forgot to mention that if you want something to help keep you on track, Memoria Press offers an independent study class for $50 per semester that utilizes Henle Latin.  From their web page: "The student is given access to a dedicated web page, where we have provided an online syllabus, online quizzes (taken online), a question and answer forum for assistance with course material, and a 24/7 virtual report card for parents to keep track of student work. These classes are for motivated self-starters who do not desire to have an outside instructor guide them through the material."  I have a friend whose son is taking a logic class via the independent study and they have enjoyed it.

Blessings,

Michelle

Kolbe also has syllabi for Henle and Wheelock Latin.

Kolbe Wheelock Latin 1

Kolbe Henle Latin 1

If you decide to use Latin Alive there is an awesome Yahoo group where they have worksheets, quizzes, tests, and more under the files section:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LatinAlive/info

I have also been eyeballing Cambridge Latin. I like the interactive website they have with the online activities, etc: Cambridge Latin 1

Some of the resources are free, some of it only available with a subscription, but it is reasonable. I tried to sign up for it a few days ago, but have not received an email yet, so until I get that worked out I cannot really comment much more on the website.

Latin For Beginner's by D'ooge is another great option and its free, because its an antique text in the public domain: 

http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/108/author_id/13/

This is great for those who like the style of Henle, but would rather have a text that develops both nouns and verbs early on, and doesn't dwell quite so much on the Roman army & slaughter! 

And, yes--there is a key!

http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/158/author_id/13/

So, if you need a free but do-able resource, there you go. There are many other great resources at the Textkit website.