Menu

Tips for long-haul flights please

Luckymama

We're facing two 14 hour nonstop flights this month (JFK<-->Beijing) but haven't flown anything longer than six hours in years (or in the case of dh and dd, never).

In coach. Yes, I know.

We will have the center three-seat section on the plane, so two people will have aisle seats.

I would appreciate knowing what you like to have with you for long flights, how you pass the time when not sleeping, and anything else.

I am going on a 21 hour trip this coming Tuesday from Malaysia to Detroit.

We all have iPads so I load them up with games, books and movies and we all have headphones. iPads have changed my life when it comes to travel. I don't have to think of a zillion different things to keep them busy now. They can write or do something educational or play games or read or whatever, all on one device. It's brilliant.

And snacks. Lots of snacks. And sleep if you can.

Keep your shoes on-- wear socks if possible (feet tend to swell on long flights and sandals can cut into swollen feet to the point you have nothing to wear until you get to your checked baggage--personal experience here!).

Walk around every 2-3 hours.  Do laps... walk to the back of the plane and cross over (many airlines keep extra treats back there too!).  Some airlines have room in the back for a few people to stand around and visit-- if they are nice they also let you sit in the jumpseats too (jump seats are great for plus-size travelers between take off and landing).

Bring your own headphones if possible-- the airline ones are not that great.

Bring an inflatable pillow-- you can inflate it and then use it to elevate your feet to improve circulation and comfort.

Flights over 8 hours are extra-brutal on your body.

I want to be a world traveler but a six hour flight is abut all I can take. I think that presents a problem with the whole world traveler goal. :) Maybe I need to check out boats.....

From my experience the kind of airplane you will be on will be nice for stretching and walking. Definitely walk as much as you can. The other thing that may or may not apply to you... Not sure how they do security but in the US you cannot bring drinks through security. We always tried to save money and drink what they give you on the plane but then you have to worry about it spilling... So it is worth the extra money to me to buy bottled coke or whatever once I was through security and then you can carry it with you and it won't spill. Good luck and safe travels!

They seem to feed you constantly. So you'll be eating and drinking and thus getting up to use the bathroom.g 

We watch movies and talk.  We do a lot of 12 hour road trips so a long flight is really no different for us.   Like another poster mentioned, do bring your own earbuds.   I always bring magazines when I travel- stuff I don't normally read, but I can read it and then toss it.  I prefer magazines to books when flying- I have trouble trying to focus on a book but a ten minute magazine article is fine. 

A book of word games is fun- we do some of those together. 

Have fun in Beijing!!!

When we flew to China our flights landed in Beijing late afternoon. We ate dinner and went to bed and didn't have extreme jet lag. It worked well for us to sleep early in the flight rather than later. This worked for both flights, coming and going.

We had horrible jet lag when we flew to Europe because our flights landed in the morning. DH and I had a HUGE argument in Hyde park the first morning! Lol It was amazing how much better we felt after a good nights sleep. :)

YMMV

China is wonderful!

Some of the flight accessories that aren't worth the bother for shorter flight become lifesavers on a long flight. 

There is an unwritten rule that things that will obviously be in the seat with you, don't count against you for carry-on.  So, I always traveled with a Dog Bone pillow that was clipped to the outside of my carry-on.  And a coat if I had one.  Even if you could put it in the checked luggage, coats make good blankets.  

Investigate what kind of charging is available at your airline seat.  Depending on the plane you might have a cigarette lighter type outlet or a regular American electrical outlet.  If it isn't too expensive, have a matching charger with you.  Particularly since there might be a problem charging at your destination. 

I also always brought black slippers with me.  Either ballet-style or booty.  That way they looked enough like shoes that no one noticed.  Then usually while waiting for the luggage I changed into my normal shoes.  Even that little bit of walking seems to normalize any swelling.  

Pack a bag-inside-a-bag.  Much of the stuff in your carry-on will be stuff that you don't really need with you in the seat, but stuff that absolutely positively must get to your destination.  Put the stuff that you want with you in your seat in a re-usuable grocery bag tote.   Pack that bag so that you can partially unzip and yank it out.   I have one made of parachute material.  Then when you get to your seat, pull out that bag, set it on your seat, and stow your luggage.  I usually looped the straps of the bag around the fold-down tray.  It also helps you keep your stuff all together.  

What I do on long flights NOW is juggle children.  :-)  What I would like to do, and have done in the past, and might appeal to your dd...

- a sudoku book

- a few good novels + magazines or a kindle

- audio books

- a coloring book with colored pencils (yes, even grown-ups can color!)

- some favorite treats/snacks

Wear something like sweats or workout clothes to be comfortable. 

If she'll read sci-fi/fantasy, now is the time to get her hooked on Robert Jordan- each book is good for about 12 hours.  :-) 

My oldest just got back from India. It's a 15 hour flight in coach. They will offer you drinks constantly, food costs money (on united anyway) He watched movies, did a lot of sketching, tried to sleep and did laps around the plane about every 90 minutes. He had people on both sides of him and so they got to know each other. He's been on this flight several times and he actually likes it better than when he used to stop in Germany and board another flight to India. He says its easier in the long run than having the layover where flights are delayed and luggage lost. He did bring a lot of his own snacks because he is vegan and you never know what is going to be available on the plane.

I much prefer audiobooks to regular books when traveling — they don't take up any space in the carry-on or on the tray table, and the earbuds help block out the ambient engine noise.

I also carry lots of good foam earplugs, both to block out noise on the plane and to help me sleep in unfamiliar hotel rooms.

My never-go-without travel accessory is a huge scarf made of an extremely thin, lightweight, dark blue fabric that I can wear around my neck like a scarf, but it opens up to the size of a large shawl or lap blanket. When I want to sleep on long-haul flights I use the airline blanket to cover my legs & feet, and throw the shawl/scarf over my head and upper body. It blocks out some of the light, without making it hard to breathe, and it provides privacy. (I don't know if I'd end up with my mouth hanging open, drooling, but I've seen enough passengers like that that I'd rather not take the chance, lol.) It's a great piece to travel with anyway, because you can just throw it over your shoulders if you go into a restaurant with A/C, or cover your arms if you're wearing short sleeves and end up in the sun longer than planned, cover your head if you're visiting somewhere that you need to cover, etc. It weighs almost nothing, squishes down to a tiny size, but has innumerable uses.

Long-haul flights can really dry out your skin; I carry a sample-size tube of moisturizer and a good lip balm in my purse. 

Melatonin can help reset your body clock and reduce jet lag.

One tip I learned from a seasoned traveller, but haven't tried yet myself, is to bring a cheap inflatable beach ball, which you can blow up partway and put on the tray table for extra support and height under the thin airline pillow, then let the air out and repack before landing.

All I do anymore is just try to survive the whole thing. Anything else is a bonus. I get motion sickness and spend the entire flight fighting queasiness.

The most important thing for me is to drink lots and lots of water.  And then drink some more.  I would give anything to be able to read a book on a flight.

I'm one of those weird people who love airplane rides, even long ones!  Between eating, reading, and watching movies/TV shows, time goes by.  (Most long distance flights now give you your own screen to watch shows.)  We also play a lot of Scrabble on our iPad.

Oh, I also try and sleep!  I can usually sleep for a few hours here and there.  Bring ear plugs and something to rest your head on, even a jacket or sweater works.

All I do anymore is just try to survive the whole thing. Anything else is a bonus. I get motion sickness and spend the entire flight fighting queasiness.

The most important thing for me is to drink lots and lots of water. And then drink some more. I would give anything to be able to read a book on a flight.

I get sick if I try to read on a flight... or in a car... or on a train... and it's such a nuisance, because I love to read and it would make travel times seem so much shorter if I could get involved in a book or spend my time online.

I much prefer audiobooks to regular books when traveling — they don't take up any space in the carry-on or on the tray table, and the earbuds help block out the ambient engine noise.

I also carry lots of good foam earplugs, both to block out noise on the plane and to help me sleep in unfamiliar hotel rooms.

My never-go-without travel accessory is a huge scarf made of an extremely thin, lightweight, dark blue fabric that I can wear around my neck like a scarf, but it opens up to the size of a large shawl or lap blanket. When I want to sleep on long-haul flights I use the airline blanket to cover my legs & feet, and throw the shawl/scarf over my head and upper body. It blocks out some of the light, without making it hard to breathe, and it provides privacy. (I don't know if I'd end up with my mouth hanging open, drooling, but I've seen enough passengers like that that I'd rather not take the chance, lol.) It's a great piece to travel with anyway, because you can just throw it over your shoulders if you go into a restaurant with A/C, or cover your arms if you're wearing short sleeves and end up in the sun longer than planned, cover your head if you're visiting somewhere that you need to cover, etc. It weighs almost nothing, squishes down to a tiny size, but has innumerable uses.

Long-haul flights can really dry out your skin; I carry a sample-size tube of moisturizer and a good lip balm in my purse. 

Melatonin can help reset your body clock and reduce jet lag.

One tip I learned from a seasoned traveller, but haven't tried yet myself, is to bring a cheap inflatable beach ball, which you can blow up partway and put on the tray table for extra support and height under the thin airline pillow, then let the air out and repack before landing.

Yes to this, though I've never tried the beach ball thing!  That's pretty smart to be honest.  I always wear a light weight scarf for the same reasons described above.

Moisturizer is a must!  My skin gets dry, dry, dry!  I only put moisturizer on my face before the flight, and bring extra of that too.  I don't put on make up (GASP!).  If I'm landing somewhere I want to look pretty, I just bring something to slap on my face before landing.  ;)  I also bring a small package of anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the bathroom door handles, the tray tables and arms of the seat.  I know they go through and clean it prior to a flight, but ugh.  After several hours, the bathroom handles have been touched by tons of people, and I don't know what they've been up to.  I also bring baby wipes to wipe down our hands after we eat, and a refillable water bottle, that I have the flight attendants fill so I don't have to keep asking for water.  Drink, drink, drink water!  Flying is very dehydrating.  We all have iPads, so that's a huge bonus to keep us entertained.  Get some of those portable chargers (not expensive) to carry in case you don't have a charging station at your seat.  One all of our long haul flights, we've always had individual TV's with loads of options, so that's great too.  I read on my iPad, play games (I'm a sudoku and mah jong queen!), or watch shows I've downloaded.  Oh, I also carry motion sickness pills as I get crazy airsick on take off and landing.  Once we're in the air for about 20 minutes I'm okay, but 30-40 minutes before landing, I take it again so I can get through the landing.  I've found that Sea Bands really help too.  Like shawthorne44, I too carry a bag within a bag to pull out that small things I know I will need from my carry on, and pull the stuff out before boarding, so I don't hold up traffic in the aisle.  Once you've made it past security, they don't care.  I like to keep the area under my feet free, so I can stretch them out.

I have flown all over the world and honestly, I don't do a lot of special things.  These days almost all international flights have headrests with movies and TV shows to watch to keep you entertained.

I ask for a pillow if I need one.

I don't keep my shoes on and am not quite understanding the recommendation to do so.  I have to be able to let my feet breathe a bit and flex.  I do get up and walk around.

When I had a toddler was the worst as I was alone with a toddler, Dh wasn't with me.  He was very fussy and didn't understand why he couldn't stretch out in a bed when he was tired.  I had snacks for him and the stewardess said she would bring drinks and snacks for him if I wanted.

The truth is, they aren't fun.  I am tired and cranky when I get off.  I feel trapped about 8 hours into the flight if we don't have a layover.  The longest flight I have taken straight was 16 hours without a stop.  Flying to Asia is the hardest as there just aren't that many places to stop.  We have stopped in Japan and in Hawaii, but we have also flow straight through.

Flying to Africa is much better as flights usually stop in Europe.  Although when I was a child we were on the same plane for 24 hours......Chicago to London, London to Germany, Germany to three stops in West Africa, and then on to Nairobi, but all on the same plane.  It was brutal.

Drink lots of water is my best advice.

Dawn

I almost forgot.  Ambien and Sudafed.  

Ambien to get to sleep.  I never take sleeping pills except on a plane, but with Ambien I can get maybe get 3-4 hours sleep on the plane.  I've found that doctors are OK with prescribing the strong sleeping pills when they know it is for the rare occurrence like a long plane ride.  My body is remarkably resistant to falling asleep on a plane (unless it is a prop plane) so normal people could probably get 8 hours sleep on Ambien.  

Sudafed needs to be the quick-acting version not the long-lasting.  Take it about an hour before you expect to land, or maybe a little before that.  Makes it much easier to clear the ears.  I hadn't realized I was congested once until I couldn't clear my ears.  I had about 24 hours of intense pain before I realized that flying home would take care of it.  

We do a lot of long flights and here's what we always pack:

• iPad downloaded with a few movies, a couple of games, and audiobooks
  • A sticker dolly book (DD is still a kid)
  • A book with those super involved dot-to-dots
  • Kindles (this is all DH and I need)
  • Board books for DS

So what would a large lightweight scarf thing look like? Links would be greatly appreciated.

We'll each have a setback entertainment unit. And we'll have our earbuds (we need them for some tours). Dd and I will have our Kindles. All three of us will have iPods with music, podcasts, and/or audiobooks. Dh bought a neck pillow---but dd and I don't like how those feel so we'll ball up our hoodies! I'm considering an inflatable seat cushion because my tailbone always gets sore on planes (anyone else? It's really weird but has happened since I was a little girl.)

Snacks to be sure. I'll buy large water bottles once we're through security.

The bag-within-a-bag idea is genius. Why have I not done that before?

We'll be landing at 2:30ish in the afternoon. We'll be eating dinner as a group (there are 18 of us, including our friends who are leading the group from the university), having a quick orientation meeting, and then we're supposed to walk around the hotel area a bit (there's a park right nearby) before collapsing :D

This is so exciting :party: Thanks for all the responses. You guys are the best :)

The longer the flight the higher chance you have of serious edema in your feet-- if it gets bad you will not be able to put your shoes back on if you have taken them off.  Socks help limit the edema... I have to wear compression socks if my flight is over 3 hours.

The above was from personal experience-- I had NEVER had issues with edema until I started flying internationally.  My first experience had me going barefoot through an airport holding my sandals that were NOT going back on my feet even part way (feet were too swollen).  I have to wear compression socks if my flight is over 3 hours.

This happens to quite a few people.  Take your shoes of and you might be fine... but it is a risk that I will never take again!

So what would a large lightweight scarf thing look like? Links would be greatly appreciated.

I googled a bit but didn't see one exactly like mine (seems like most scarves are the "infinity" style now). Mine is just a big rectangle of very lightweight jersey fabric (maybe a cotton/rayon blend?) hemmed on all 4 sides and ombré-dyed shades of blue. It's about 3' wide and 7' long, but because it's so lightweight and "drapey," you can just wear it around your neck like a regular scarf. (I just double it over, so it's 3.5' and then put the ends through the loop.) I bought it a few years ago at either Target or Macy's (I think it was around $15), but you could make one very easily as well.

I am going on a 21 hour trip this coming Tuesday from Malaysia to Detroit.

We all have iPads so I load them up with games, books and movies and we all have headphones. iPads have changed my life when it comes to travel. I don't have to think of a zillion different things to keep them busy now. They can write or do something educational or play games or read or whatever, all on one device. It's brilliant.

And snacks. Lots of snacks. And sleep if you can.

Heather, on that note, are you all set for transportation? I know that DTW is about seven hours from your mum's place. Are you renting a car? Is someone picking you up?

Depending on when you are coming in, I might be able to pick you up and then drive you back north as far as say Midland and have your family meet us there which would cut about 8 hours of driving for them.

PM me if they would like some help.

We have traveled quite a bit with our children. We have two of these light knit blankets. They are warm to cover up with on the plane. Also, we've used them as extra light blankets at our hotel or apartment rental. Plus, we've used as a shawl or wrapped around as a skirt for visiting churches that don't allow bare shoulders or knees.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-COCO-033-CoolMax-Blanket/dp/B001DX9ZN6

What airline are you taking?  That can make a huge difference.  For us, the iPads have been worth their weight in gold.  No excuses for not having anything to do given the amount of games, movies, and books you can put on them.  That said, once my kids are on the plane, they usually just use the in-flight entertainment.  (We prefer the Asian carriers where each seat has its own screen and the best customer service.)  Snacks are a must, a water bottle that can be refilled is handy.

What airline are you taking? That can make a huge difference. For us, the iPads have been worth their weight in gold. No excuses for not having anything to do given the amount of games, movies, and books you can put on them. That said, once my kids are on the plane, they usually just use the in-flight entertainment. (We prefer the Asian carriers where each seat has its own screen and the best customer service.) Snacks are a must, a water bottle that can be refilled is handy.

Air China, on a Boeing 777-300ER

I would echo: bag-within-bag, containing only stuff you want right at hand at your seat: large lightweight shawl, warm socks, ear plugs, blow-up pillow, kindles/iPads/books, wipes, Purelle, moisturizer, refillable water bottles.  Stow the rest away and hope you don't have to get to it.

Make everyone wear slip-on shoes.  They're faster going through security, and you can ease them on/off when you're jammed into Econo-squeeze without having to close your own tray table and those on each side of you to lean over.  (I take my shoes off at my seat, but wouldn't want to go to a plane bathroom in just socks.... ew!)

You can't take liquids through security, but you can virtually always refill a bottle with water once past.  If not you can ask an attendant to do so once you're on board.  It's nice to be able to close the container, rather than juggling a cup; and it's nice not to have to depend on the timing of the attendants.  

You'll be plied with salty snacks like pretzels and nuts, but the meal, if there even is one, may well be terrible... I usually try to bring something small...  dried fruit is great, granola bars are good, my son likes beef jerky   :scared: , clementines pack relatively well (the US will let you take fruit OUT; some countries will not let you bring it IN, so plan on finishing it on the plane or throwing it out)

My kids usually just want to movie-binge on long flights, and I welcome the chance to read... but the more we sleep -- even if fitfully -- the easier it is to adjust on the other end.  Ear plugs and those eye covers help, even if we do look like dorks.  Also, much as I love my coffee and my wine, I refrain from both on long flights; it seems to help the adjustment.

It'll be long, cramped, and FINE.  Don't worry.  Have a fabulous time in China!  How exciting!

I'm Australian. We are used to long flights! Try to fly at night when you are already tired. Stay up for as long as you can when you get to your destination and go to bed as close to proper bed time at your destination as you can manage without collapsing. Try to get seats in the very back row of the plane - they have a bit more leg room. I second the big, light scarf recommendation - it's often easier to get some sleep if you have a light covering. Drink lots of water and steer clear of caffeine and alcohol or you'll end up like a dried chip. You can take a water bottle through most security points as long as it's empty, then fill it up on the other side. Ask the steward where they keep the drinks so that you can get another one whenever you need to. Take baby wipes with you. Take your make-up off when you get on the plane (it's dark, no one will see and at the end of the flight everyone looks horrible anyway). Take lip balm, a toothbrush and moisturiser. Don't eat too much. Airlines feed you to pass the time and the food is pretty ordinary. Its full of salt because your sense of taste is lowered at altitude and you need more salt to taste it, so that increases fluid retention. Bring fruit instead. Walk around at least once every hour. Do silly toe and heel raises. Laugh and get excited as the plane takes off, remember that defying gravity is an enormous privilege and ENJOY YOURSELVES!

D

One nice thing about the super-long flights, at least for me, is that I seem to recover from jet lag faster.  When the time difference is 12-ish hours, my body just gives up and does a reset.  6 hour difference seem to be the worst.  It is close enough that my body wants to cling to the old time zone, but a big enough difference that I can't.