Menu

Timberly, great post!

And the quote you put at the top is really important to me.  I have had moments, especially at the beginning, where as soon as one child or the other "clicked" on something I would make the mistake of thinking most of our woes and struggles were behind us.  Then we would hit another snag and we would all get a bit depressed about it.  Cycling through the emotional ups and downs of that is exhausting.  Accepting that we need to celebrate those milestones and progress but also realize that there will also probably always be some struggle is a hard thing to face, but an important one so we aren't continually disappointed when all the issues don't just disappear.   I wish I had accepted that years ago.

Have a great Math Victory Day!!!  :)

(By the way, that article you linked has some good things in it and was an interesting read.  Thanks for sharing.  I do think some of it is kind of outdated, though, FWIW.  There is actually quite a bit of scientific research that may not necessarily refute some of what is in that post but would certainly add some significant layers and adjustments to the thinking.  I wonder if the author has written anything more recent and what they would say now, with all the great research studies going on currently...)  

Why are you not using accommodations on the standardized testing?  You can and should, and you should document it.

... instead of rejoicing I'm focused on all the standardized test math questioned he got wrong because of Dygraphia.

Do you use Dragon for math? Curious how that works.

Does graph paper help?

My dysgrahic used TT and has started with Dragon but not together. With TT, you still need to work the problem on paper.

I re-write the problems on 1cm graph paper with blue lines and this works OK. He's slow but accurate.

I'm still waiting on our formal evaluation results to know what accommodations will be an option for him.

There is an app called ModMath. I don't own an Ipad so cannot try it out. Looks interesting.

I stumbled onto the article while looking for an Deep Dyslexia info for my Mom.

DS9 has accommodations for all standardized testing, but he still had to use a pencil. The math he does when I write what he tells me is amazing. The math he does when he writes is not.

Dragon is going well and Teaching Textbooks will arrive in a few weeks. If those two play nicely together he will have a lot more success during the school day.

DS10 really bogs down when he has to use a pencil, too.  He does much better verbally or with dry erase.  I dread standardized testing in the future...  But I think the pencil is also a sensory issue with DS.  He hates the sound of the pencil dragging across the paper, along with the feel.  I have him do a little bit anyway.  There will be times in his life he will HAVE to use a pencil.  I am hoping if he is used to it, even if he hates it, he won't react so strongly later in life.

Edited to add that I agree with TXMama that even with TT you still need to work a lot of the problems on paper first.  Using the workbook keeps the child from having to copy the problems free hand from the screen but then they still have to use a pencil or pen in the workbook to do the problems.  I know there ARE math software systems out there where you just drag and drop or type instead of having to handwrite, but we have not yet implemented any of them.  Looking at this for the future.

That ModMath app looks interesting. Out of curiosity, I looked up lattice multiplication and there is at least one free IPAD app for that as well.

OP, maybe consider setting up an 11x11 table in Win Word and allow your child to fill in the table using a key pad. Print up the table when done.

Efofex software can be used for writing out secondary level math.

That ModMath app looks interesting. Out of curiosity, I looked up lattice multiplication and there is at least one free IPAD app for that as well.

OP, maybe consider setting up an 11x11 table in Win Word and allow your child to fill in the table using a key pad. Print up the table when done.

Efofex software can be used for writing out secondary level math.

An app for lattice multiplication?  Cool!  Going to go check that out right after lunch!

You can go into the settings of Timez Attack and adjust the amount of time it takes to answer the questions. It has been a long time since DS used that program. You would need to contact TA tech support and ask for the directions. I recall the process was easy enough. Timez Attack caused DS anxiety, so I purchased a program that performed simple drills similar to the drill program found at the MUS website. DS would practice 5-10 minutes per day.

You know, you could have your DS fill half of a multiplication table because 3x4 = 4x3. Teach him now about the commutative property. :)

Were you the mom that was interested in Evernote? I watched a youtube video about it and love that program. I sit around trying to come up with ways to exploit it. It is so easy to use.

Eta: Since your DS learns well with movement, you may want to consider math mnemonics and movement as he progresses in math difficulty. My DS uses mnemonics across many subjects.

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to say I am thrilled to know that I can slow down Timez Attack. My son cried over it for half an hour the first time he played. It was so sad because he was super excited to play such a cool video game.

He was never able to pass that big troll at the end of the level because he would miss one to three problems every time, I think mostly due to the pressure and finding the keys. I actually took the challenge for him today because I figured he'd gotten what he could out of that level and I saw that it was the 17th try. :(

Anyway, slowing it down for him should help a lot. Thanks!