Menu

Indus Valley/Ancient India

I'm now looking for books or primary source documents for the Indus/India portion of ancient world history. We will be listening to TC's History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective; I am now making lists of resources (books, writings, art) to go along with each region (Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, Greece, China, "Rome", the Americas).

Dd read OUP's The Ancient South Asian World in fifth grade, btw. I could always go back to that for primary source readings.

Any suggestions?

This is for your Bhagavad Gita study from Annenberg Learner. We really liked the Gilgamesh one too, because it showed how ancient works were still influencing new works all the time.

Aldrete suggestes the following readings for lectures 7 and 9 on the Vedic Age in India and on Homer and Indian Poetry:

O'Flaherty, trans., The Rig-Veda

Thapar, Early India from the Origins to AD 1300.

Wolpert, A New History of India.

Smith, trans. and abr., The Mahabharata.

Since it looks like you have decided to go with a global emphasis, you might want to pick up The Human Record:Sources of Global History, Vol. 1 and The Bedford Anthology of World Literature, Vol. 1.

Chapter 2 in Human Record will give you a side-by-side short selection and analysis of the Rig-Veda and the Odyssey. This would work well before or after lecture 9. Also, there are questions for the Odyssey which refer back to the Epic of Gilgamesh.  The book also draws from The Upanishads  and other primary sources. It's very handy for this time frame in helping your student to make connections between cultures and along themes like spiritual development.

The Bedford Anthologies will give you substantial selections organized by region as well as theme, for example, "Creating Cosmogony." I like the contextual information and the linking between works that I would not have known on my own. I just wish there was a bit more analysis about how the literature is crafted.

In an aside, depending on how deep you want to go,  two selections from TOG were quite good: From Distant Days and Ancient Egyptian Literature. I know people on the board have asked, "Why read ancient Mesopotamian literature?"  For us, reading it and the Egyptian poetry blew away so many misconceptions. Ben Foster does a great job of actually talking about the construction of Akkadian poetry (hope my terminology is right) and in many ways, it was quite sophisticated. We always forget when "foreign" poetry falls flat on our ears, that we do not have the advantage of language to hear the play on words or the onomatopoeia.

When my son read a certain Egyptian poem, after he quit snickering, he said that it was like something he could picture his best friend and himself writing in college over a late night beer.  At that moment in time, the poem's author wasn't some dry, dusty ancient, but someone my son could see as a living, breathing, laughing young man.

But I digress... :tongue_smilie:

Years ago, mcconnellboys (Regena) gave me her middle school resource list for the ancients. There were a couple of art books in there that were out of the ordinary and one of them was on India. They were by the same author and oop. It took me forever to track them down. The photos were in black and white, but were magnificent in their level of detail. I regret selling them and have been looking for the author's name.

Oh Lisa, I was hoping you'd contribute :) I really should spend more time on the lit sections of Annenberg Learner!

Speaking of which, I just picked up "The Buried Book" from the library.

So much reading and research to do... :D

I wish I had more to recommend. I hope you like The Buried Book. Just recently, our studies seem to have take us down the "who controls history?" path. It's weird how big questions can drop in your path. We've looked at this issue before, but materials and viewpoints keeping coming at us right and left. Anyway, The Buried Book taught us to pay attention to dynamics in certain professions. Archaeologists and early chemists seem to be victim to some fairly heavy professional jealousies!

For your own edification, you might like John Keay's India: A History. I am not exactly sure about the scholarship, but it's accessible and enjoyable.

Years ago, mcconnellboys (Regena) gave me her middle school resource list for the ancients. There were a couple of art books in there that were out of the ordinary and one of them was on India. They were by the same author and oop. It took me forever to track them down. The photos were in black and white, but were magnificent in their level of detail. I regret selling them and have been looking for the author's name.

Might it be The Art of India by Shirley Glubok?

Regards,

Kareni