Menu

Latin- combine or separate?

I'm thinking about maybe doing Latin in our next school year. Here's the details: I will have 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th graders. We briefly tried Spanish a couple of years ago, but that kind of fizzled out. (I didn't really like the program we were using.) Other than that, we haven't studied any foreign languages.

If we learn Latin, I want to use MP products. I already own a First Form set, but I'm thinking it might be better to use Latina Christiana 1 so I can combine the 4th, 6th, and 7th graders.

Or would it be better to put the 6th and 7th graders together and then do something easier for the 2nd and 4th graders?

My goal is not necessarily fluency. My 6th grader has expressed an interest in learning Latin several times, and I know that any exposure will be helpful. I had planned on just learning Latin/Greek roots in middle school and save the actual foreign languages for high school, but I don't want to hold back my dc just because languages aren't my personal strong subject. I can get the DVDs and we can all learn together.

Anyway, IF I go the Latin route, what sounds better? Everyone learning together with an easier program, or splitting into 2 groups, or what?

If your 6th grader wants to learn and has expressed a desire several times, I'd be more inclined to let the 6th/7th go on ahead together, rather than hold them to the pace of the 4th grader.

I'd say the opposite if it were your 4th grader who really wanted to learn.

Going with First Form with the 6th and 7th graders makes sense, mainly because you already have it.  But that leaves out the 4th grader.  I wouldn't do First Form with a 4th grader unless he already had some Latin background, like Prima Latina or Latina Christiana (or unless he were exceptionally bright and motivated).

You could do Latina Christiana with the 3 older ones this year, then move into FF next year.  LC would be quite easy for the older ones, but it's a great intro and would make FF the next year that much easier.   I think that's what I'd do.  My middle son did Prima in 5th, LC in 6th, and FF in 7th.  He has a great foundation in Latin.  I'd rather things trend toward easy and enjoyable than difficult and frustrating, particularly with a subject like Latin.

Going with First Form with the 6th and 7th graders makes sense, mainly because you already have it.  But that leaves out the 4th grader.  I wouldn't do First Form with a 4th grader unless he already had some Latin background, like Prima Latina or Latina Christiana (or unless he were exceptionally bright and motivated).

You could do Latina Christiana with the 3 older ones this year, then move into FF next year.  LC would be quite easy for the older ones, but it's a great intro and would make FF the next year that much easier.   I think that's what I'd do.  My middle son did Prima in 5th, LC in 6th, and FF in 7th.  He has a great foundation in Latin.  I'd rather things trend toward easy and enjoyable than difficult and frustrating, particularly with a subject like Latin.

I asked the 4th grader if he's even interested in learning Latin, and he said he is. So, I'm thinking of getting LC1 for the 3 oldest. I'll save FF for the following year.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I've used Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, and FFL with my kids (9 and nearly 12).  Latina Christiana and FFL would almost surely be too much for the 1st and 2nd graders, and Prima Latina may be as well (It would have been for my kids).  I think I would not do Latin with the younger two until they are older and can be combined. I wouldn't combine the 4th, 6th, and 7th graders, but if you must, then LC is the place to combine (it'll probably be a little on the slow side for the 7th grader, though).  Ideally, I'd split into 3 groups:  1) the two youngers, wait to start Latin until the oldest is in 4th, 2) the fourth grader on LC, and 3) combine the 6th/7th grader in FFL.

I'm thinking about maybe doing Latin in our next school year. Here's the details: I will have 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th graders. We briefly tried Spanish a couple of years ago, but that kind of fizzled out. (I didn't really like the program we were using.) Other than that, we haven't studied any foreign languages.

If we learn Latin, I want to use MP products. I already own a First Form set, but I'm thinking it might be better to use Latina Christiana 1 so I can combine the 4th, 6th, and 7th graders.

Or would it be better to put the 6th and 7th graders together and then do something easier for the 2nd and 4th graders?

My goal is not necessarily fluency. My 6th grader has expressed an interest in learning Latin several times, and I know that any exposure will be helpful. I had planned on just learning Latin/Greek roots in middle school and save the actual foreign languages for high school, but I don't want to hold back my dc just because languages aren't my personal strong subject. I can get the DVDs and we can all learn together.

Anyway, IF I go the Latin route, what sounds better? Everyone learning together with an easier program, or splitting into 2 groups, or what?

I had the same dilemma, my 6th grader has had latin experience, my 4th grader has had very little (latin roots & half year Prima Latina). I decided to use First Form with them both, because I don't want to be studying/keeping up with 2 different curriculums. So, they will use the same program but work at their own pace. If my 4th grader needs to move slower than that will be fine. But she is very bright & picks things up quickly. I will be learning along with them and I don't want to juggle 2 different programs.