Menu

Anyone have to change from a clear retainer to a wired one due to grinding teeth at night?

unsinkable

Is this on her upper teeth? Is it one of the old-school retainers that have a wire over the front 6 teeth and fits over the palate?

If it's not that I'm not sure what it is? Does this type of retainer have a name?

However, if she's grinding that much she might need a hard acrylic guard that fits over the biting surfaces of her teeth to protect them. (It's hard to describe but it is horseshoe shaped, snaps onto her teeth and allows the opposite arch of teeth to move against it freely.) She sleeps in it. These are not the soft mouth guards athletes use.

Sorry I can't help much.

Is this on her upper teeth? Is it one of the old-school retainers that have a wire over the front 6 teeth and fits over the palate?

If it's not that I'm not sure what it is? Does this type of retainer have a name?

However, if she's grinding that much she might need a hard acrylic guard that fits over the biting surfaces of her teeth to protect them. (It's hard to describe but it is horseshoe shaped, snaps onto her teeth and allows the opposite arch of teeth to move against it freely.) She sleeps in it. These are not the soft mouth guards athletes use.

Sorry I can't help much.

She has the hard acrylic guard now on her top teeth and that is what has cracked due to grinding.

So I am not sure what the new one will be like...

I know what kind of clear acrylic retainer you're talking about but it isn't made to withstand biting and grinding forces. My husband had one and broke it due to his bite. ;) The type of bite guard (also called a night guard) I'm talking about is made specifically to withstand occlusal (biting) forces. It is probably 3 mm thick as opposed to your daughter's acrylic retainer. There are many different thicknesses of acrylic. Your general dentist would probably need to make it.

I know what kind of clear acrylic retainer you're talking about but it isn't made to withstand biting and grinding forces. My husband had one and broke it due to his bite. ;) The type of bite guard (also called a night guard) I'm talking about is made specifically to withstand occlusal (biting) forces. It is probably 3 mm thick as opposed to your daughter's acrylic retainer. There are many different thicknesses of acrylic. Your general dentist would probably need to make it.

OK, thanks! That makes sense.

The ortho made the one she is wearing to keep her teeth in place but she is grinding so much it has cracks. He made her a 2nd one but thinks he'll 'have to have a lab make her one with wires, and build it up to prevent grinding.' Those weren't his exact words bit something like that.

I'll ask about making a thicker one!

OK, thanks! That makes sense.

The ortho made the one she is wearing to keep her teeth in place but she is grinding so much it has cracks. He made her a 2nd one but thinks he'll 'have to have a lab make her one with wires, and build it up to prevent grinding.' Those weren't his exact words bit something like that.

I'll ask about making a thicker one!

I'm on my fourth or fifth of the really good ones, they are thick and will more evenly distribute the force across her teeth.  Upper plates are definitely the way to go if given the choice.  I used a lower for a year in an attempt to reduce the wear on them, but it allowed me to actually move my upper teeth around. 

Did she grind before the ortho changed her bite, or is this a new thing?  If it's something new then there may be a problem with her current bite.  

I'm on my fourth or fifth of the really good ones, they are thick and will more evenly distribute the force across her teeth. Upper plates are definitely the way to go if given the choice. I used a lower for a year in an attempt to reduce the wear on them, but it allowed me to actually move my upper teeth around.

Did she grind before the ortho changed her bite, or is this a new thing? If it's something new then there may be a problem with her current bite.

I think she did grind but I know she has had seizures in her sleep bc she wakes up with her tongue with bite marks. I wonder if she is cracking it when she has a seizure?

The bite guard isn't really a retainer. It's to help protect her teeth from the grinding. Your general dentist would probably be the one to make it. You might call him/her and discuss it.

I don't know if making a thicker version of what she has will be sufficient for the grinding. :(

The bite guard isn't really a retainer. It's to help protect her teeth from the grinding. Your general dentist would probably be the one to make it. You might call him/her and discuss it.

I don't know if making a thicker version of what she has will be sufficient for the grinding. :(

Well, between what you and Melissa have said, I'm going to need to find out when the grinding started and if it is grinding or if she did it during seizures.

It sounds like the ortho will be able to have something made that will protect her teeth and keep them straight.

Well, between what you and Melissa have said, I'm going to need to find out when the grinding started and if it is grinding or if she did it during seizures.

It sounds like the ortho will be able to have something made that will protect her teeth and keep them straight.

A mouth guard made by a dentist will keep the teeth in the same place in respect to each other in the sense that it is molded to the existing bite.  Something like this.  

I do not grind. I clench my teeth with such force that I crack my teeth without a guard, and I eventually bite through a guard, even the hardest they make.  I also have more than one bite, so I will bit on different places along the splint because my jaw is overly flexible.  

If it is something like that related to seizures they should know that before making a splint.  It will impact the materials and how they are fit.