Menu

Could you help me out with figuring out a tutoring fee?

Laurie4b

How much would you be willing to pay to have your child tutored in reading if you could not help?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is the max you would be willing to pay for a session of tutoring (1 session per week)?

• Would only pay if less than $30 per hour
    • $30
    • $35
    • $40
    • $45
    • $50
    • $55
    • $60 + as long as my child was making progress
  2. 2. What is the max you would be willing to pay for tutoring for 2 sessions per week?

• Less than $30 per session
    • $30 per session; $60 total
    • $35 per session ; $70 total
    • $40 per session; $80 total
    • $45 per session; $90 total
    • $50 per session; $100 total
    • $55 per session; $110 total
    • More than $55 per session as long as my child were making progress

I am starting a tutoring business. I have the pertinent education, training, and experience. I've done it for free up to this point for low-income kids, but need to make an income now. I want to set a fee that is reachable for most parents, but is fair to me in terms of my time, experience, training, etc.

The method I use should have a signficant impact within 12- 16 weeks. (Most likely, the child will be reading at or above grade level.) Two sessions per week is ideal, but could make it with one per week.  ETA: by significant impact, I mean tutoring would have accomplished the goal and would not be needed past that point.

If you had a child who was struggling with reading, and you could not remediate it yourself, how much would you be willing to pay per session (50-60 min) for tutoring by an experienced tutor?

Would it matter if it was twice a week vs. once a week?

ETA:

Thanks for any comments, advice, etc. you want to add.

To answer cost of living questions: I know price will vary by location, but I was wanting to get an idea across the board from people who care about education. We live in a university area, it's not economically depressed, milk is $4.05 at Walmart for their store brand, and we pay $26 per 1/2 hour for music lessons.

To define "struggling with reading", most would have some degree of dyslexia although there could be some who were just didn't get current teaching methods.

I have been in the exact situation you are describing with one of my dc. I paid $30 an hour, and would not have paid more, because there are other tutors available for that or less. I paid $25 an hour for a twice a week Latin tutor from a high school latin teacher. The low rates are what the market will bear here. I expect what you can charge and what people will pay will be solely dependent on your location.

Are you in a rural area, a small town, a small city or a major metropolitan area? Is it a low or high cost of living (LCOL, HCOL) area?

$30 could be expensive one place and cheap another.

Where I live, in a major metro area with a HCOL, $45-60 per session would be the expected price, more for someone with a lot of paid tutoring experience and a lot of good reviews.

I also wouldn't want to be paying someone under the table.

If my child had reading difficulties, I would pay $50/hour for an OG tutor. I wouldn't pay more than $25/hour for a tutor who isn't OG certified (for reading help, I mean).

Exactly this.  I have seen OG certified tutors charge $50 an hour.  If they don't have that specific type of training and certification to remediate my children with reading issues I would not feel comfortable paying more than $25, $30 at the outside.  But both of my kids are dyslexic.  

Just as an aside, do you have any certifications and training to be able to determine if a child is just needing extra tutoring vs. genuinely needing a diagnosis and additional extensive help because of learning differences?  If you had that type of training and could do at least a preliminary assessment, I would think that you could charge a bit more per hour.

I actually think music lesson pricing for a degreed music teacher in your area is probably a good rule of thumb if you are fully trained/certified for the type of tutoring you are going to be doing.  So it's probably good to fully identify your target audience ahead of time. I would expect a math tutor to have a degree in math, for example. 

I have a daughter who has a reading tutor. She just finshed her 2 nd year with her. When we started it was $25 an hour and a $30 registration fee each semester. She also likes to test once a year to see what is retained and that costs around $275 I think. Last fall the fee went up to $30 an hour and now it is going up again in the fall to $38 an hour(the increase is from switching locations). Their is also a cost of curriculum. Honestly, it has been a struggle to pay her but my daughter is making progress. I have not shared the increase for fall with my husband yet. I am hoping he will not decide to pull the plug on tutoring. :(

We live in the Midwest.

Are you in a rural area, a small town, a small city or a major metropolitan area? Is it a low or high cost of living (LCOL, HCOL) area?

$30 could be expensive one place and cheap another.

Where I live, in a major metro area with a HCOL, $45-60 per session would be the expected price, more for someone with a lot of paid tutoring experience and a lot of good reviews.

I also wouldn't want to be paying someone under the table.

As for under the table, any time you pay someone with their own business, you have to depend on their honesty to know whether you are paying them under the table: your plumber, your music teacher, your waitperson, a craftsperson at a fair, etc. Any independent business owner can be dishonest. If it makes you feel better, I will be reporting the income. ;)

Exactly this.  I have seen OG certified tutors charge $50 an hour.  If they don't have that specific type of training and certification to remediate my children with reading issues I would not feel comfortable paying more than $25, $30 at the outside.  But both of my kids are dyslexic.  

Just as an aside, do you have any certifications and training to be able to determine if a child is just needing extra tutoring vs. genuinely needing a diagnosis and additional extensive help because of learning differences?  If you had that type of training and could do at least a preliminary assessment, I would think that you could charge a bit more per hour.

I am not a psychologist and they are the only ones (in my state anyway, and I assume nationwide) who can do a WISC or other intelligence test that is part of the extensive testing, but other than that, yes, I can do testing. I also have the training needed to remediate the reading of kids with dyslexia. (Nothing works for absolutely everyone with a given diagnosis, but in general, yes.)

In my former district (we moved last year) the going rate was $85 per hour for a teacher or experienced professional.  A high school/college kid would expect $20-30 per hour.

ETA: The going rate for music lessons was $60-70 per hour.

Thanks. This was helpful to see the tutoring rate compared to the rate for music lessons and the span of rates for tutors depending on their qualifications.