Menu

If you do a yearly overview of World & / or US History...

A Child's History of the World (ACHOTW) by Hillyer is perfect for elementary aged kids.

Some use it as an overview.  I use it as review. 

I read the relevant sections in ACHOTW after we finish Story of the Word (SOTW) for that year. My daughter likes to stop me during the ACHOTW reading and tell me everything she remembers about whoever, wherever or whatever is mentioned and then I finish reading that section.  It's bedtime reading during the summer since we spent 36 weeks going through SOTW each year. It did take us a year and a half to get through the first SOTW because her attention span was very short. This year we did the Middle Ages in 36 weeks.  She's 8 now. We don't do the grade level thing.  She would've been in 3rd grade this year if she had been in an institutional setting.

SOTW Vol. 1 Ancients then ACHOTW pgs. 3-175

SOTW Vol. 2 Middle Ages then ACHOTW pgs. 176-352

SOTW Vol. 3 Early Modern Times then ACHOTW pgs. 353-362

SOTW Vol. 4 Modern Times then ACHOTW pgs. 362-419

My favorites for world history overview are CHOW (Hillyer) as mentioned by the previous poster and Builders of the Old World (Gertrude Hartman).  You can use these for elementary.

This year I used the first four volumes of Story of the World by M.B. Synge (not Bauer).  They were pretty good for older elementary, but the two above were better.

For American history, my favorites are A First Book in American History plus Stories of Great Americans for Little American, both by Edward Eggleston.  The latter is especially nice for the younger crowd.  

This year I read Makers of the Americas (Hartman) which was good.

I have also used the Rainbow Book of American History (Miers).  This isn't as thorough as the others, but it has some nice extra material such as the history of baseball and the great Chicago fire.

With my 1st grader this year, I read some books from Yesterday's Classics--Vikings, Pilgrims, Revolution, plus the Stories of Great Americans mentioned above.  That was nice for 1st grade.

I read a world history book over the first half of the year and an American history book over the second half of the year.  We repeat this every year 1st - 5th grades.  

As for in-depth projects, we have mostly used lapbooks from Hands of a Child (three per year).  With each history lapbook, I have my kids write one research report on a topic related to that lapbook.  

We also do CC, so my kids memorize the timeline and history sentences.  This is a fabulous way to get the big history overview into your brain. I read through the CC timeline cards this year with my kids.  That was an added world history review, though definitely not as interesting as the narrative history books.

We just usually start the year by pulling out an Usborne encyclopedia or something similar and doing a couple of days of fast forwarding up to where we are starting for the year.  We mostly just look at the pictures and discuss and review big trends.