Menu

Thinking of quitting cable and going with Hulu...How does this work?

MaeFlowers

The price of cable has stopped being worth it to us. We are considering dropping cable and getting Hulu and/or Netflix. I am assuming both will work without any sort of receiver on our main tv because it is a smart tv. I am wondering about the other tvs, though. What kind of receiver do we need? For those of you that are cable free, do you really like it better?

You must mean Hulu Plus, because regular old Hulu won't stream to a tv.

I use a combo of an antenna, Netflix and Amazon Prime and I've been really happy with it.

If you like to keep up to date on current shows or watch sports you'll have a hard time.

If you don't mind a weird mix of odd shows, you have entertainment for more hours than a person could ever need.
I watched an old season of Survivor that I never saw recently. I just started Hannibal (season 1).  I am also enjoying Portlandia.

We cut the cord.  I like it a lot EXCEPT when there's a bad storm and I want live news to know where tornadoes are.  Now that we've moved out of a valley I think we'll try an antenna again to get live news again.

You actually CAN watch HULU through a TV -- but you need additional software.    

We use PlayOn (http://www.playon.tv/playon).   It runs through our ROKU, and works great.    It also allows you to watch online videos (like YouTube) on your tv as well.

Our alternative to Satellite TV includes ROKU, Playon, Netflix and Amazon Prime.   We have an antenna to get local channels for the news and weather.   We do not miss cable/satellite at all.   Plus we are watching it on our schedule, and mostly commercial free.  (Except for Hulu.)

If you have a wii already, you can stream youtube, amazon instant video, netflix (and maybe hulu plus, not sure) on it already. Just go to the wii store and download their apps on the wii. It's free and might be a solution for any TVs that are not "smart".

If you have a wii already, you can stream youtube, amazon instant video, netflix (and maybe hulu plus, not sure) on it already. Just go to the wii store and download their apps on the wii. It's free and might be a solution for any TVs that are not "smart".

Xbox too, but you have to be a paid xbox gold subscriber, and of course pay for Netflix/amazon/whatever.

We have a Samsung SMART TV and 8 days ago, my wife signed up for a free 30 day trial of Netflix. It was perfect, the first 3 days... The 4th day, when she tried to get a movie to begin, the progress bar indicated that the movie stopped loading, at about 25% of the file. I do not know if that is common to other brands of SMART TVs, but we now know it is extremely common to Samsung SMART TVs. There is a YouTube video, posted on New Years Day 2014, that had more than 26,700 views, when I watched it last week. 3 calls to Netflix Customer Support (for English language calls from Latin America they answer in Monterrey, Mexico) did not cure the problem. We tried everything we found on the Internet, including switching our TV to the USA, to a provider in Miami, FL (a lot more things are available in the USA...) and we had the same problem trying to get a movie to load properly with the provider in Miami. Then, we switched the TV back to Colombia. Same problem. Saturday morning, I sent a FAX to the Officer of Netflix in CA who is in charge of their relations with ISPs and Consumer Electronic manufacturers, with the content of the Error Message and everything we had tried. Sunday, our Netflix was working again. :-)   My wife and DD had noticed, once or twice, that the TV was turned on, so apparently someone from Netflix accessed it, remotely. I saw on the Netflix USA web site that they also have other brands of SMART TVs listed, so if you should encounter a problem, look there first, and then FAX the error message to their HQ, if Customer Service cannot help you. If we do not have any more problems we will continue with Netflix.  If you sign up for Netflix, you can also watch movies on your Tablet and on a Windows PC. Our TV service comes in with our ADSL, from the phone company (TV over IP) and each TV has 5 or 6 Mbps of bandwidth, in addition to the 5 Mbps we have for Internet.  For TVs that are not SMART, you will need additional Hardware to make these streaming services work. GL

We have Netflix and A Prime. It's more TV than we need. We do occasionally buy seasons (19 Kids and Call the Midwife recently!!), but that's still much cheaper than cable.

I will say we recently stayed at a hotel and were all excited to TV binge. Well, we're so used to not having commercials that it was assaulting. We turned it off and left grateful we don't have cable anymore.

Thanks everyone!

The only person who is particular about shows in this house is dh. I will have to ask him what shows he can live with/without. I wonder if he can watch sports online? As for weather, it is better here to use the internet or your phone than local weather stations.

I was thinking about using the xbox in one room but it died yesterday. I will have to look into the Roku.