Menu

Rough estimate for clothes alterations?

LNC

They are all pretty basic alterations. The prices can vary a lot depending on where you live, though. I recommend calling a tailor or two and just asking. With that info, you can decide if its better to altar for replace the items. FWIW, most tailors don't do alterations that involve more than a change of one size as it becomes difficult to maintain proportions on the overall garment.

Well, this definitely will vary by area and person doing the alterations.  Down here you could probably halve the estimates given by MercyA but I have lived other places where that would be reasonable.  I agree that your best bet would be to call around, and probably go see if you can look at their other work before they start on your own.

It depends so much on where you bring it!  I have brought things into chain places (like "Sew What?") and other alteration sites that are run more professionally, and they can have outrageous prices.  For example, I once wanted a sundress taken in for my daughter.  I just wanted it pinched on the sides and sewn about 1/2 inch on each side up and down.  The shop I first brought it to had to follow very strict steps and wouldn't just "pinch it on the sides."  They had to take out the zipper, and do so much more than was necessary.  They were going to charge me around $40!

I then found a seamstress who just did odd jobs out of her home and explained that I didn't need it to be re-made!  Just two lines on each side.  She did it for about $8.00.

Moral of the story is that if you can find a lone seamstress who does it out of her home instead of a big business-y type place, you can often get a better deal because they don't have the strict guidelines to follow.