Menu

Question re: background checks

OhioMomof3

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me with this.  I ordered a background check for myself online from a company recommended at topconsumerreviews.com.  When I did this, two listings for my name came up, both same name and age, but with two different locations; one of the cities listed was a past city where I had lived and one was in an area near where I had once lived. (There was no listing for my name and the city that I have been living in for the last 12 years.) Because my name is unique (and I'm curious), I paid for both background checks.  Both had some correct information about me and some incorrect information.  For example, one had my brother-in-law's address listed as my current address; that brother-in-law, his wife, and another brother-in-law's wife were listed as relatives.  The address said it was last updated/changed in September 2008.  The other background check had an address update back in 2001.  Both background checks correctly showed my husband's name, but the first report had brother-in-laws and their wives listed as my relatives and the other had some relatives (including two deceased relatives) and some strangers listed.  Neither report was accurate as far as current address and all relative names being correct. I'm just wondering about all the inaccuracies.  How do I report issues of this nature? 

Unless you are applying for a high security job and the BIL and wives have criminal pasts, I wouldn't even worry about it. And in the case of a job like that, they likely use more reputable-accurate sites. The only people who would be interested  in who your relatives are, are credit agencies. The government would use their own reporting agencies, and anyone who is used to dealing with background checks is used to flaws/inconsistencies like this.  Those types of background checks are just complied from public sources (telephone listings etc), media, and other online sources (like other similar agencies) and are not usually very accurate.

Who was the background check ordered through?  A reputable agency?  (How does one order a background check, seriously?)

Your mention of relatives makes me wonder if you ordered through one of many online businesses such as veromi, intelius, etc., which I would not consider reliable.  At least one of those has my life/relatives intertwined with a similarly named person in another state.

Surely the company, especially if reputable, provides a way to remedy incorrect information?

This type of thing is completely expected, and the vast majority of employers know that.  I wouldn't bother correcting anything unless there's something damaging involved.  Wrong addresses and relatives aren't.  They're using bots to gather information from Internet, and that's not of course always accurate.  The HR people I know say that they use background checks as a general overview, but it doesn't "count" in terms of legal information.

I just went through a background check for a job, and they verified my current address from my driver's license when I went to sign the final paperwork.  I know they ran a background, credit, and criminal check, but they never indicated any concern about it.  I know that there are all kinds of addresses out there for me.

Your credit report is an entirely different matter.  In that case you must get the errors removed, and it is considered more of a legal issue.  If your address is wrong there, that's a problem.