Menu

Lewelma- S/O of your Language of Composition Thread

I didn't want to derail your other thread so I figured it would be best to make this its own thread.

I'm currently reading Martha Kolln's "Rhetorical Grammar" for my own self-education and when I Googled syllabi for the book, I kept seeing results where it's being used in AP English Language courses. Often it is used in conjunction with "Style, Lessons in Clarity and Grace" by Joseph Williams. The Williams book is next on my reading list.

The exercises in Stewart English books 2 & 3 look like they would go well with the Kolln book. Both Martha Kolln and Donald Stewart apparently drew heavily on the work Francis Christensen did back in the '60's on generative rhetoric. Generative rhetoric to my mind seems like a fancy name for a basic but key principle of writing: using syntax to help the author get his/her meaning across to the reader. But I'm still new to the topic so maybe there's more to GR than that.

I'm not familiar with the Shea book so I can't provide a comparison between it and the Kolln book. But if your goal is to cover the material on the AP English Language exam, you might want to look into Kolln + Williams and maybe Stewart as well.

Often it is used in conjunction with "Style, Lessons in Clarity and Grace" by Joseph Williams. The Williams book is next on my reading list.

I have this one! My uncle gave it to me, or rather to ds, who politely thanked him and never cracked it open.  I read it, though, and it's pretty good if I recall. I hope I'm learning something from all this reading about writing. My dh groans whenever I mention that I heard of a new writing book.

But then I saw the one lewelma mentioned, and now the Kolln book you mentioned. It's neverending!