Menu

Swim lessons and head going under water

Ds starts swim lessons tomorrow.  He'll be doing the pike level at the YMCA, so this is aimed at 3-5 yos with no previous swimming experience.  Clingy and head not used to being underwater is cool for this class.  So thing is, ds has been saying for a couple days now he doesn't want to go.  We haven't really talked about it (and I never asked when I signed him up).  He just seems nervous about it, nervous in the kind of way where he has occasionally dug in his heels in the past and caused problems.  Tonight he fessed up that he's concerned about his head going under water.

So are there brilliant things I say for this?  Hand him over and walk away?  Whatever I said to him tonight, he seemed to chill down a bit.  We talked about it and I validated him, saying that was ok.  He was worried the water would be too deep.  I told him they'd have plenty of teachers and take care of him.  I tried the flexibility thing (we're growing so we try new things), and he was iffy on buying it.  

OK, *I'M* nervous because I know he could get there and dig in and scream and ruin it, or he could be FINE, utterly fine. :lol:  Once he's fine the first time, I think he'll be fine after that.  So calm me down, lol.  Anything I need to do or say to make it go better?  

Maybe take him to the store and allow him to select swim goggles. In the classes that my DD and DS have taken, the littles stand on a podium with a handrail, near the edge and inside the pool. The kids just stand and splash around getting used to the water. At this beginner stage, he should not be expected to put his face in or head under the water. Talk to the people giving the lessons to determine their plan.

DH usually takes P to her swim lessons. She and 7 others take private lessons with the owner of a scuba shop. The parents stay out of view of the kids.

Eta: Some of the kids scream their head off, but it is no big deal. They just get out of the water, calm down, and try again the following week or so. Just don't visibly have a reaction if he gets upset. Love him and reassure him. I'd probably throw in a milk shake bribe or something. You know his currency. :)

One of mine freaked out about head under the water until I let her wear a snorkel mask...

sometimes when I know something is going to be really challenging for one of my kids to get through we make a plan to go out for ice cream and celebrate afterwards.

We had a similar scenario play out at our house. My ds agreed to go the first lesson, but was brought to me about 2/3 of the way through the lesson since he wasn't willing to do any of the activities. He would just say "no, I am not doing that" in a pleasant, but firm, way. The second lesson we didn't even make it out of the locker room and he said he wasn't going to do it.

Knowing when I'm beat, I just withdrew him from lessons. I was frustrated, but ultimately, we have family history on his side: *I* refused to swim until I was about 6.25, my brother did the same, and my 10yoDD ALSO didn't actually get anything out of lessons until then. Where we live, there are all these little three year olds who can full-on swim, so there's a lot of pressure that I work hard to get over...but I didn't want this to be a hill to die on, for either of us.

So, in short, what does it matter if he won't go? He's afraid now, but he won't be forever, probably. Try it and see. And good luck to both of you! Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll both be fine. :)

Oh huzzah, hadn't thought of a bribe/reward!!!  Awesome idea!!!!!!!!   :thumbup:   That might be all it takes to get through it.  

And yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be like ST, where maybe I'll need to disappear once I'm sure he's fine so he knows this is the deal and to deal with it.

It's going to be a daily class, and I would think the people have a lot of experience with it given the target ages.  But yes the bribe is a terrific, terrific idea.  Thanks!  :)

Oh that is a tough one! My ds absolutely loves the water so it has never been an issue for us. Do you think he is just worried or do you think there is a sensory issue as well? I would be inclined to call the YMCA first and let them know he is pretty nervous about the whole idea. He is hardly the first kid to be worried about it, but more forewarning will help the instructor negotiate the whole thing better. Would it be better to let him go and watch the first lesson so that he could see what it is all about?

We had a similar scenario play out at our house. My ds agreed to go the first lesson, but was brought to me about 2/3 of the way through the lesson since he wasn't willing to do any of the activities. He would just say "no, I am not doing that" in a pleasant, but firm, way. The second lesson we didn't even make it out of the locker room and he said he wasn't going to do it.

Knowing when I'm beat, I just withdrew him from lessons. I was frustrated, but ultimately, we have family history on his side: *I* refused to swim until I was about 6.25, my brother did the same, and my 10yoDD ALSO didn't actually get anything out of lessons until then. Where we live, there are all these little three year olds who can full-on swim, so there's a lot of pressure that I work hard to get over...but I didn't want this to be a hill to die on, for either of us.

So, in short, what does it matter if he won't go? He's afraid now, but he won't be forever, probably. Try it and see. And good luck to both of you! Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll both be fine. :)

Oh dear, that's rough!  Well I think I'm just gonna pray hard and hope for the best!

Oh that is a tough one! My ds absolutely loves the water so it has never been an issue for us. Do you think he is just worried or do you think there is a sensory issue as well? I would be inclined to call the YMCA first and let them know he is pretty nervous about the whole idea. He is hardly the first kid to be worried about it, but more forewarning will help the instructor negotiate the whole thing better. Would it be better to let him go and watch the first lesson so that he could see what it is all about?

Yours loves the water?  I think it's just his face.  He is picky about how he's bathed and stuff too.  He splashes like a fool in the tub, but when you wash his hair he screams, ugh.  I have no clue why he does.  Dd did the same thing, and they're polar opposites sensory-wise.  Yes, I can mention something to the instructor.  I would think they're expecting it, given the ages.  He seems to respond better to firmness, so I think our plan is to just be sorta matter of fact, not really letting him think there's a choice.  

You know, I could probably assuage him a bit the first day by telling him that IF he doesn't like it, we can go to the store and buy a snorkel mask. That would work in his mind letting him have an option and know there's a way out if it seems intolerable.  I'm also guessing they're going to have a very slow pace to this class.  They go at 1/2 the pace of the big kid track (pollywog, guppy, etc.).

PS.  I'm telling him boys with apraxia like swimming, since your boy does!  :D

Hey Jen, is he going to have any trouble holding his breath underwater?  Do they tell them to hum? Can he do that?  Mercy, I never even thought to notice.  That's sorta complicated stuff though, humming.  If he can't do whatever they tell him to for holding his breath, that will be frustrating and need a workaround or extra help.  Anybody know how they tell them how to hold their breath?  

Oh no, I'm not worried.   :lol:   :lol:

I would just add one word of caution.  Please do not assume, just because of the ages, that they will not have the children put their face below the water, even if it is just for a second or two.  Definitely confirm the plan with the instructor.  And I would consider seeing if they will let him just sit and watch what is happening without getting in the water the first time.  

When I was that age as soon as my mother had left the instructor started trying to get me to put my head under water.  I was terrified.  She kept trying to get me to do it.  I refused.  She forced my head under water.  I came up screaming and sucked water in which made me choke and I wouldn't get anywhere near water for weeks afterwards.  She really thought once my head went under for a second or two I would realize things were fine.  Boy, was she wrong.  

FWIW. DD was swimming like a fish by age 3 and had been putting her head under water since she was a toddler with no issues at all.  But DS was not comfortable with his head under water until he was older, maybe 6 1/2?  And he didn't really swim until later than that.  He swims just fine now.

One of mine freaked out about head under the water until I let her wear a snorkel mask...

sometimes when I know something is going to be really challenging for one of my kids to get through we make a plan to go out for ice cream and celebrate afterwards.

Mine was like that too. If you think he's scared, I would ask the instructor if he could have a mask and snorkel for the class. I wish we had tried it years ago.

My two older boys are in the Pike class at our YMCA.  From what I have been told by numerous instructors there, the Y's official policy is to let kids put their faces in the water as they are ready.  This means in the Pike class the instructor demonstrates blowing bubbles and over the course of the sessions ups the ante to blowing bubble out of their nose, but if a kid doesn't want to do it that is okay too.  

Most of the students in my boys' class DO NOT want to get their faces wet.  OTOH, they all enjoy the class so much that they willingly push themselves a bit.  My boys went into it 7 weeks ago not willing to let the water anywhere near their faces.  Now my 3 year old will blow bubbles with his chin and mouth in the water and my 5 year old almost gets his nose wet.

I wouldn't worry too much.  My boys have made it through 6 of the 7 sessions without ever having to get their face wetter than they felt comfortable with.  Another child in the class won't even put his chin in and everyone accepts that as okay too (of course, he will not be promoted to to the next level yet).  

I would just tell your son he doesn't have to fret if the instructor encourages him to blow bubbles, but rather he can just participate as fully as he feels comfortable even if that means blowing at the water instead of in the water.

Wendy

Here all the classes put their head under water, even the babies and toddlers. Last year they had my barely 1yo go under water then be pushed forward a few feet to another person then brought out of the water. She's our little fish and doesn't mind any of it.

All levels required head under to advance. DD5 was stuck on level A for 3 summers (2 sessions at 3, 2 at 4, and 1 at 5) because she refused to put her head under. We tried everything we could think of to get her to but no dice. Finally it just clicked for her one day. It was 4th day of that swim session and she suddenly disappeared under the water. I nearly jumped up and went for her but then she resurfaced a few feet away. She took off after that. She passed easily and passed level B at second session. Since she's turning 6 next week, she goes into numbered levels and will take level 3 this summer.

So basically, I wouldn't stress if he isn't ready. I would tell him to say "I'm not ready yet." Or something if they ask him to put his head under and he doesn't want to. But I would also encourage him that there's nothing wrong with head under. Maybe try in the bathtub? We practiced blowing bubbles in the tub and it helped her get just used to it enough to participate in class. But then they'd ask from bubbles to touch forehead to the water. She would stand up tall and tip her head so her forehead touched, but mouth, nose, and eyes were still out! Kids find a way to do only what they're comfortable with. He'll be fine!

I would just add one word of caution.  Please do not assume, just because of the ages, that they will not have the children put their face below the water, even if it is just for a second or two.  Definitely confirm the plan with the instructor.  And I would consider seeing if they will let him just sit and watch what is happening without getting in the water the first time.  

When I was that age as soon as my mother had left the instructor started trying to get me to put my head under water.  I was terrified.  She kept trying to get me to do it.  I refused.  She forced my head under water.  I came up screaming and sucked water in which made me choke and I wouldn't get anywhere near water for weeks afterwards.  She really thought once my head went under for a second or two I would realize things were fine.  Boy, was she wrong.  

FWIW. DD was swimming like a fish by age 3 and had been putting her head under water since she was a toddler with no issues at all.  But DS was not comfortable with his head under water until he was older, maybe 6 1/2?  And he didn't really swim until later than that.  He swims just fine now.

Wow OneStep, it would not have occurred to me someone would be so cruel with a child not their own.  I think my response would be *less than pretty* if someone did that to my kid.  Guess I'll get there early and talk with them.  I'm cool with it taking a while.  If he's sitting with the class and sort of going along with the flow, even not doing things exactly the way they do, I'm cool with it.  The mere fact that he will be there would be good enough for me and would be better than that, mercy.

And lest y'all are thinking I'm exaggerating, I talked with dh.  He said the odds are 60/40 on how he does.  So we'll see!

My two older boys are in the Pike class at our YMCA.  From what I have been told by numerous instructors there, the Y's official policy is to let kids put their faces in the water as they are ready.  This means in the Pike class the instructor demonstrates blowing bubbles and over the course of the sessions ups the ante to blowing bubble out of their nose, but if a kid doesn't want to do it that is okay too.  

Most of the students in my boys' class DO NOT want to get their faces wet.  OTOH, they all enjoy the class so much that they willingly push themselves a bit.  My boys went into it 7 weeks ago not willing to let the water anywhere near their faces.  Now my 3 year old will blow bubbles with his chin and mouth in the water and my 5 year old almost gets his nose wet.

I wouldn't worry too much.  My boys have made it through 6 of the 7 sessions without ever having to get their face wetter than they felt comfortable with.  Another child in the class won't even put his chin in and everyone accepts that as okay too (of course, he will not be promoted to to the next level yet).  

I would just tell your son he doesn't have to fret if the instructor encourages him to blow bubbles, but rather he can just participate as fully as he feels comfortable even if that means blowing at the water instead of in the water.

Wendy

Oh dear, I didn't know they needed to be able to blow bubbles.  That's tricky for him, and I'll have to work with him tomorrow morning and make sure he knows how.  He's just getting good at blowing air, like to puff at the dog to scare him.  Blowing bubbles underwater would be a huge challenge.  Maybe we can practice it in some scenarios that don't involve all the complications to make sure he actually CAN blow the bubbles.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I had no clue about that.

OhE, this is completely unrelated to swimming, but your discussing blowing bubbles made me want to share it. One coping technique for kids who are having difficulty getting control of their behavior is to blow out. I use this technique even with my non-SN 4 yr old. When they are little and having a fit, I hold my finger up in front of their mouth and tell them to blow out the candle. It really is amazing how blowing out does help them gain control. Usually by the third time, they are calm.

Oh dear, I didn't know they needed to be able to blow bubbles.  That's tricky for him, and I'll have to work with him tomorrow morning and make sure he knows how.  He's just getting good at blowing air, like to puff at the dog to scare him.  Blowing bubbles underwater would be a huge challenge.  Maybe we can practice it in some scenarios that don't involve all the complications to make sure he actually CAN blow the bubbles.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I had no clue about that.

At our YMCA they have the child hold up one finger under the water as a birthday candle and then put their mouth in the water and blow it out.  Or, rather, that is how it is supposed to work.  For the first month my boys held their "candle" out of the water and did their best to blow it out.  They both have speech delays and cannot actually blow out real candles; thankfully, pretend candles blow out very easily.  :tongue_smilie:  Now that they are comfortable putting their mouths in the water they still hum more than blow discernible bubbles, but I still consider that a rousing success.

Wendy

OhE, this is completely unrelated to swimming, but your discussing blowing bubbles made me want to share it. One coping technique for kids who are having difficulty getting control of their behavior is to blow out. I use this technique even with my non-SN 4 yr old. When they are little and having a fit, I hold my finger up in front of their mouth and tell them to blow out the candle. It really is amazing how blowing out does help them gain control. Usually by the third time, they are calm.

Interesting!  We should try this!!  :)

At our YMCA they have the child hold up one finger under the water as a birthday candle and then put their mouth in the water and blow it out.  Or, rather, that is how it is supposed to work.  For the first month my boys held their "candle" out of the water and did their best to blow it out.  They both have speech delays and cannot actually blow out real candles; thankfully, pretend candles blow out very easily.  :tongue_smilie:  Now that they are comfortable putting their mouths in the water they still hum more than blow discernible bubbles, but I still consider that a rousing success.

Wendy

Thank you so much!!  I had no clue we would run into these issues, though it should have occurred to me.  Just a heads-up for him and discussing it can make a big difference.  Thanks!  :)

My Ms 5 had a fear of her head going under for ages. Actually she used to cry if she even got splashed a little on her face or head. When she wanted swim lessons we told her she couldn't take lessons until she was prepared to put her head under (that's what our local teachers do: pretty much the first thing they learn - after entering the water - is putting the head under, and they have to do it without goggles, even though they can wear them the rest of the time). Then we waited, and waited, until finally she decided it was OK to go underwater. We cheered and got excited, and within a few days she had stopped being scared. Then one day not long afterwards, she decided she was going to learn to swim across our backyard pool. She tried over and over again, until after about two hours she could dog-paddle from one side to the other. And now she is allowed to do swimming lessons. 

Is waiting until he is keen an option for you? Or do you need / want him to start this year? Because I hope he goes well and has fun, but if he really doesn't like his first lesson, I'd seriously think about postponing it a few months and trying again.

Well now y'all will KNOW I'm crazy, hehe...  I got to swim lessons today, and they don't even start till next week!   :lol:   Turns out, since it's an outdoor pool they bump the entire aquatics schedule a week.  They didn't put that on the website, oops.  

So anyways, it's working out for the best.  Now he has been there, seen it, crossed the hill, gotten it into his mind.  I checked his bubble blowing this morning, and he has two types, an inefficient one where he's basically using his lower lip and blowing and then a more efficient one where he rounds properly.  Now he understands what they're going to want him to do and he understands the idea of blowing through his nose to snuff the candle.  Maybe I'll encourage him to try it in the tub this week, just to explore the idea that he could be comfortable with it? 

I think anything that he understands he can be fine with.  I think he'll be fine.  He's already signed up, so I'm not really interested in not having him do it.  To me it's a safety thing and pretty important.  I think he'll get through it ok though.  The extra week will let him get used to the idea.

So yeah, I'm crazy.  But at least it's not a BAD outcome!  :D

Well now y'all will KNOW I'm crazy, hehe...  I got to swim lessons today, and they don't even start till next week!   :lol:   Turns out, since it's an outdoor pool they bump the entire aquatics schedule a week.  They didn't put that on the website, oops.  

So anyways, it's working out for the best.  Now he has been there, seen it, crossed the hill, gotten it into his mind.  I checked his bubble blowing this morning, and he has two types, an inefficient one where he's basically using his lower lip and blowing and then a more efficient one where he rounds properly.  Now he understands what they're going to want him to do and he understands the idea of blowing through his nose to snuff the candle.  Maybe I'll encourage him to try it in the tub this week, just to explore the idea that he could be comfortable with it? 

I think anything that he understands he can be fine with.  I think he'll be fine.  He's already signed up, so I'm not really interested in not having him do it.  To me it's a safety thing and pretty important.  I think he'll get through it ok though.  The extra week will let him get used to the idea.

So yeah, I'm crazy.  But at least it's not a BAD outcome!   :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm crazy, too.  The kids do a skate camp every year.  They love the instructors and help out with the classes since they have been going for so long.  Drove them over to drop them off and discovered that they shifted the start date by one week.  Didn't bother checking since this is our 6th year...oh, well.

Well good luck for next week! At least he got to check it out a bit without any expectations. That can be a very helpful strategy for lots of sticky situations. When ds was younger we use to always go for a private lesson first or watch a class before starting any classes. It also always helped me to see what I may be able to work on at home to help things go smoothly for him as well. Now I am happy to report we can just drop him off at something new and not have to worry about how it will all turn out.

Well good luck for next week! At least he got to check it out a bit without any expectations. That can be a very helpful strategy for lots of sticky situations. When ds was younger we use to always go for a private lesson first or watch a class before starting any classes. It also always helped me to see what I may be able to work on at home to help things go smoothly for him as well. Now I am happy to report we can just drop him off at something new and not have to worry about how it will all turn out.

I was slow on the uptake but I finally realized that a lot of the dragging of feet and feeling sick the morning of something new really went away if I took them over to meet instructors, look over the place, etc. BEFORE the day they started.  I wish this piece of info had been in that great "Parenting Handbook for All Occasions" I was given when the kids were born...NOT  (I wish :) ).

Just wanted to pop in and mention that our swim teacher said for the little ones to wear goggles in the bath or shower and they did get used to them easily. Also, he starts kids with blowing across the surface of the water first,to make little waves, then put their chin in the water and blow, and finally put their mouth in and blow to make bubbles. Also can do this in the bathtub.

Good luck with lessons!

Just wanted to pop in and mention that our swim teacher said for the little ones to wear goggles in the bath or shower and they did get used to them easily. Also, he starts kids with blowing across the surface of the water first,to make little waves, then put their chin in the water and blow, and finally put their mouth in and blow to make bubbles. Also can do this in the bathtub.

Good luck with lessons!

Fabulous, thank you!!!  

This is interesting! Just this week our pediatrician taught DS a new breathing technique to reduce anxiety (one different than above), and he mentioned that it actually activates neurotransmitters in the brain.  So it is not just a feel-better technique but has an impact on brain function.

I need to remember not only to use these breathing techniques with all of my kids, but also myself when I'm feeling anxious.

Hand him over and walk away?

Yes.

My kids were all taken underwater (without goggles) in the deep end with their instructor at ages 3-4.  I watched through a double glass window.  They were fine.  We never discussed it beforehand (I didn't want to scare or worry them.)  They were told to puff out their cheeks and that was it - done!

I realize that not all kids react the same way, though.  I hope it goes well for your DS.   :)

We had two different experiences with first-time swim lessons (although neither was exactly first time, because each of our kids had taken parent-infant classes previously).

First:  At age three in her first classes without mom, my oldest DD cried and cried. I'm sure she would have preferred not to go in, but whenever it was her time to take a turn with the instructor, the teacher patiently and gently had her participate even as she continued to cry. No forced head dunking.  Just kept DD involved in the class and had her try everything.  After a few classes, DD stopped crying and was fine. We signed up for more lessons, and she continued to advance. This was at the Y.

Second: Not at the Y.  When my sons were three or four, they sat on the edge of the pool and cried. Both of them.  The instructor tried to talk them into getting into the water.  When they balked, he worked with the other three kids in the class and just left my boys sitting on the edge. The next week another instructor who was not teaching a class at the time talked with the boys a bit and poured some water on them with a toy watering can while they continued to sit on the edge. Okay.  But the next week when the extra helper was not available, they boys just sat on the edge and cried again, pretty much ignored by the teacher. I understood that the teacher did not want to force them, but he didn't encourage them, either, beyond asking them if they wanted to try. We did not take more lessons until they were older. They were too expensive for me to pay to have them put on their suits and then just sit by the pool. I wish the teacher had worked with them more.

So if I were in your position and had the contact information for the head of the program, I might call and ask what they do if kids are upset during class.

It's funny that you showed up on the wrong week! But it's good that your son got to do a kind of trial run.  Has he ever been swimming before, or will this be his first time in the pool altogether?

Yes.

My kids were all taken underwater (without goggles) in the deep end with their instructor at ages 3-4.  I watched through a double glass window.  They were fine.  We never discussed it beforehand (I didn't want to scare or worry them.)  They were told to puff out their cheeks and that was it - done!

I realize that not all kids react the same way, though.  I hope it goes well for your DS.   :)

He has verbal apraxia.  He couldn't puff in order to blow out a candle (with proper rounding, like you or I) till recently.  He'd just sort of splutter and puff without getting much out.  Anything involving his mouth and motor control has to be thought through and prepared in advance.  He's like Lentil by McCloskey and can't whistle either.  He tries, but instead he hums.  :)

Update: He did AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :party:   :party:

That week we spent preparing was perfect.  He got in there and did great.  The teacher is terrific, and they had plenty of helpers and guards.  I'm just crazy pleased.  They got a ton done and had them in 9' feet with a pole, jumping in (including head under), doggy paddling, etc.  It's all little boys like him, so there's lots of energy and good vibes.  What a hoot.  

I think I need to get him clear goggles, because he kept pulling them up when he wasn't actually swimming.  I think he doesn't like the green of the walmart ones, oops.  Other than that, all the pre-talking worked.  He did it!!   :thumbup:

Update: He did AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :party:   :party:

That week we spent preparing was perfect.  He got in there and did great.  The teacher is terrific, and they had plenty of helpers and guards.  I'm just crazy pleased.  They got a ton done and had them in 9' feet with a pole, jumping in (including head under), doggy paddling, etc.  It's all little boys like him, so there's lots of energy and good vibes.  What a hoot.  

I think I need to get him clear goggles, because he kept pulling them up when he wasn't actually swimming.  I think he doesn't like the green of the walmart ones, oops.  Other than that, all the pre-talking worked.  He did it!!   :thumbup:

Yeah!  That's terrific!  Big cheers for your son (and hugs of happiness for you, Mom :) ).

Oh, FWIW, both of my kids prefer clear goggles, too.

Fantastic! Must have been so fun to watch.

We also find a decent pair of clear googles is the best way to go. Did it tire him out?

We found clear goggles at Dicks.  I'm not sure they're the best thing out there, but they'll be something.  They're speedo kids recreational?  

And yes, it was fun to watch!  Nope, didn't tire him in the least.  He would have kept going and is psyched to go tomorrow.  I think maybe when they're doing more upper body it will be more tiring?  

Oh so cute about his excitement. So fun when they discover new things they like.

Ds was doing private lessons when he first started. She had him in the water and moving the whole time so between the energy needed to keep warm in the water and all the activity he was pretty zonked when he first started. Something we didn't think could be accomplished! Sigh, now even after doing a solid hour of lengths the other week he isn't the least bit wore out. He does sleep well after though.