Menu

Dr. Hive...can you run a fever with seasonal allergies?

ProudGrandma

Cottonwood is high here right now and lots of people are suffering...including my 13 year old daughter.  She has a lot of mucus in her throat and she is congested...has been for about a week...and just today she started running a low grade temp...about 100.  Does that mean she is actually sick??? 

Any remedies that I can use (the more natural, the better) to help clear the mucus from her throat?  thanks.

Well, I have had allergies since I was 6 years old.  I have had doctors tell me that you don't get a fever with allergies.  However, my experience has been that I get a fever EVERY TIME my allergies act up.  No secondary infections, no nothing.  Once I take my Benedryl, fever goes away as well as the allergies.  My experience has been that, yes, you can get a fever with allergies.

I'm not saying that there couldn't be a secondary infection, I'm just saying that it isn't true that you can't get a fever with allergies.  I am 100% sure of it.

If my kids are running fever, they don't leave home. It could be a sinus infection, ear infection, or a number of other things.

Cottonwood was really bad here a few weeks ago so I understand your plight. My entire family was suffering.

Do you have a temperature baseline for her? Everyone should have one. 100 is not really a fever in some people. My husband's baseline temperature is about 99.5. It has to get much higher to mean anything. On the other hand, my baseline temp is about 96.1 and my basal temp (in the morning before I get out of bed) has been as low as 94.something (although that was before I took thyroid supplements). A temperature of 99 is a fever for me. Working in nursing, even on a pediatric oncology floor, we didn't consider a temp of 100 significant (we didn't run any blood cultures), although with cancer patients, it did make up keep at eye on them to see if it went higher.

Sinusitis is also a possibility if there are allergies, though. 

You won't run a fever with just allergies.  Bad allergies can go into a viral or bacterial infection very easily though because of congestion and reduced immunity.

Here in the Austin area, we have a high percentage of oak and cedar trees, and many people are afflicted with what is affectionately termed "cedar fever." It includes an actual fever, so maybe it's common that the people who are laid low by the pollen are also suffering with an infection brought on by the allergies. It is apparently really nasty stuff.