Menu

Does This Fully Cover Language Arts? (Elementary)

Job384

This is for an advanced early elementary boy who writes about one or two paragraphs in a sitting. I am not familiar with Brave Writer, Spelling Power or Hexco products, so I want to make sure that I won't be double-covering or missing anything.

Brave Writer routines for writing and literature (Do I need Arrow for literature?)

EPGY self-paced online for mechanics (already use this and are happy with it)

Spelling Power or Hexco products for spelling

Wordly Wise online for vocabulary (already use this and are happy with it)

If I need Arrow for literature, is that what Brave Writer users would recommend? I have another book I like called Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus that I've used a bit and really like.

http://www.rfwp.com/series/suppose-the-wolf-were-an-octopus-guides-to-creative-questioning

Does that sound like it covers literature thoroughly enough on its own? 

Another question: Will Brave Writer teach me how to go over my son's writing with him? I don't know how to do that. I don't want to correct it like I would for an adult. 

Another question: Will Brave Writer teach me how to go over my son's writing with him? I don't know how to do that. I don't want to correct it like I would for an adult. 

Have you read The Writer's Jungle?  It breaks down the program/philosophy very well and talks about stuff like this.  It also explains the other portions of the program like Jot it Down (which may not be enough for your son if he is writing paragraphs), Partnership Writing and the other writing programs.  HS Buyer's Co-op has it discounted here: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/brave-writer/?source=165995

With regard to Arrow, it is a monthly literature program that focuses on literary elements as well as key grammar pieces.  There is also a writing project idea included.  

We have only used one Arrow, and I am just starting to figure out Jot it Down so I may not be the best one to answer all your questions, but it seems very complete to me.  We add handwriting and spelling, and will add a separate vocabulary in the fall, too.

I am not sure what the EPGY class covers or if it would be redundant to some of the Bravewriter stuff, or if it would just be different reinforcement and teaching.