Menu

So...I went to a homeschool conference this weekend where RS was one of the vendors, and Dr. Cotter was covering their vendor table.  I was able to get my hands on the new fraction lesson kit that RS put out a few weeks ago.  Most of what's covered in these lessons combine the fractions lessons in the Level or Games books.  Mostly there was an introduction and explanation of the topic, sometimes a worksheet for further practice, and then a game to help reinforce the topic.  I put the bug in her daughter's ear, she was there too, that there are many people who'd like to see online samples especially of the TOC and a lesson or two on multiplication and division.  Personally, I didn't find the need to purchase it since we've been through all of the levels sans level G and have the games book.  I could see purchasing it if you want fraction review from the very basics all the way through simple fraction division.

Dr. Cotter is a nice, nice lady who is passionate about what she does;it was a joy to talk to her.  I told her I was anxiously awaiting Level F, and hoped she would get to it on schedule. :D  :toetap05:  :D  

Thought I'd report back with my findings... :thumbup1:   CMama, have you received yours?  What do you think?

I want to add that she was particularly excited about the revised editions.  The new editions have a Montessori lay-out and give her an opportunity to include all that she's learned since her first edition.  She's also excited about electronic versions of her level books because now we'll see everything in color, the way she sees them all the time.

At this point, we've completed through Lesson 96 of RS Geometry, as well as through Lesson B-6 (which is the ninth lesson) of VT Module A. Having yet to actually start using the RS Fractions kit, I agree with your initial impressions. However, I'm glad I chose to go ahead and purchase it sight unseen, as my little man will only benefit from the review over the summer, and now I don't have to plan out which games to play and when.  :thumbup:

To give you an idea of how the RS Fractions kit fits in for us, Lesson B-6 of VT Mod A covered Primes, Composites, and Factoring... and seems to fall in line with RS Fractions' Day 22 (Finding Factors); both review Eratosthenes' Sieve. VT Module A's Lessons B-7 (Least Common Multiples) and B-8 (Greatest Common Factor), which we'll work through during this week and the next, seem to coincide with RS Fractions' Days 24-28 (out of a total 42 1/2 days). We'll start our summer break after B-8, so this summer is the perfect time for us to review using the RS Fractions kit. Perhaps last summer, before beginning RS G and VT Alg, would've been ideal (?), but the timing and this current line-up may actually work better for us, so it seems a worthwhile investment. 

I want to add that she was particularly excited about the revised editions.  The new editions have a Montessori lay-out and give her an opportunity to include all that she's learned since her first edition.  She's also excited about electronic versions of her level books because now we'll see everything in color, the way she sees them all the time.

Are you telling me I should buy all the revised additions for my current 5 yr old? I have every level from A to G original edition.

She didn't specifically say it was necessary, nor did I ask her.  She did say that she added new and rearranged material in the new editions.  I didn't ask Dr. Cotter about specific differences, only generalities, between the editions.

Personally I won't be buying any new editions unless my copies (all A-G originals here) fall apart..lol...or I'm buying the new Level F.  I feel like the originals have worked well enough for my family so I haven't explored whether or not it is a significant enough of a change to warrant buying all new editions. 

CMama, thank for your specifics.  I'm always grateful when posters give us more of their detailed integration of a curriculum;it really is helpful.  Yeah, I like to be told when to play a game;it makes thing much easier for this momma.  And, you're right, fraction review would be a great benefit for my children, too.

Level F, in the second edition series, is planned for 2017.  Scroll down and you can view the expected releases of each level.  I'm not sure what Level F will cover, hopefully more fraction, decimal, and percentage review.  The new Fraction Lessons manual is a collection of the most important fraction lessons up to the end of level E, along with some more explicit explanations and games to reinforce it.  HTH