Menu

SAT II Literature or Writing contests - have you developed a course?

We're doing, hopefully 4 English credits in 3 years...So far 2 1/2 done and 1 1/2 still to go...

This past year was AP English Language so I'm looking at possibly a 1/2 credit of Journalism and 1 credit of literature/ composition...Because dd has lots of math plus AP Chem and Euro I don't want to add AP Lit...so I was thinking of just going for the SAT subject test of Literature just to have something to work towards....

If you've prepared the coursework for this exam - do you have any advice?

I've heard with the foreign language exams that they can actually be harder than the AP exam (eg Latin and German - we're about to find out for German)....Does anyone know if this is the case for SAT English Literature?

Another possibility is preparing for Writing contests - has anyone done a credit or half one of English just preparing essays for contests? Dd gets very inspired with contests so this is something she'd really like to do...But then I'm not sure what to call the course. I'd asked for English course titles in this thread (Course Titles - options for English) but none of them seem to fit perfectly - Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joan

I've heard with the foreign language exams that they can actually be harder than the AP exam (eg Latin and German - we're about to find out for German)....Does anyone know if this is the case for SAT English Literature?

According to DD's experience, the SAT 2 English exam is very easy. Her only preparation was one practice test. She got a perfect score.

Her assessment is that it is a somewhat harder version of the reading portions on the regular SAT.

We had never done any formal literature analysis course; she had skimmed the book "Essential Literary terms".

Also, I do not understand how the SAT2s can be harder than the APs, since the SAT2 is all multiple choice, but as far as I understand, the AP exams have free response sections, so guessing won't help. Plus, the SAT2 is only one hour long.

From everything I've read and been told, that SAT II's are easier than the AP's.  They're one-hour, multiple choice tests.  The AP's are 3-hour tests with the infamous short answer and essay questions that most students find challenging.

Plus, if you look at the syllabus for the Latin SAT II, it is more like a solid Latin 3 course, maybe Latin 4 at some schools.  It covers Latin grammar and basic literature and poetry, but not the depth of AP Latin course covering the most significant works of Caesar and Virgil.  We're just winding up studying for the Latin SAT II after the AP, and it is easy in comparison.  Saturday is the day!

Joan,

Have you had a chance to look at the sample test in the The Official Study Guide for ALL SAT Subject Tests, 2nd Edition?  I would imagine that would be very informative.

My inclination would be to choose an area of literature that appeals to your daughter and make that the focus of this year's studies and take the SAT subject test at some point in the year.  Sprinkle in some writing contests in lieu of a reading a work or two.

Regards,

Kareni

Ok, so SAT II Lit is not difficult...thanks for the info regentrude!

Kareni I'll check out that book...I was looking for a shortcut so I didn't have to analyze it myself :-)....

From everything I've read and been told, that SAT II's are easier than the AP's.  They're one-hour, multiple choice tests.  The AP's are 3-hour tests with the infamous short answer and essay questions that most students find challenging.

Plus, if you look at the syllabus for the Latin SAT II, it is more like a solid Latin 3 course, maybe Latin 4 at some schools.  It covers Latin grammar and basic literature and poetry, but not the depth of AP Latin course covering the most significant works of Caesar and Virgil.  We're just winding up studying for the Latin SAT II after the AP, and it is easy in comparison.  Saturday is the day!

Certainly for French, the previous AP (the exam changed in 2012 and dd hasn't taken the subject test yet) was harder than the SAT French subject test (as ds did both)....and maybe there have been changes re Latin and German as I don't know the years of testing that this is from, but here was a recent post about Latin..Certainly the AP German test has been changed recently as well.....it was years ago that I remember hearing that about German...But German and French are coming up this Sat so I'll get a personal analysis soon and we can chat more....

Joan

Hi Joan,

If your daughter did fine on the multiple choice part of the AP English Language exam, then I'd think that she'd also be ready for the SAT 2 Literature test now without a lot of additional study.

Dd decided to try the SAT 2 Lit in the middle of her AP English Lang year. She was already signed up for the winter SAT 2 Latin exam when she tried the Lit practice test in the CB Blue Book just for fun. She was pleasantly surprised by how well prepared she was already. So she added the exam to her Dec testing at the last minute, spent a few hours reviewing with the Barron's guide (mostly poetry passages, which aren't an emphasis in AP Lang), and went in and did extremely well.

The science and Latin exams required more prep time on her part, because she's a big picture gal, and those tests required more memorizing of details & vocabulary. On the other hand, she found the corresponding AP science and Latin exams easier because she has good endurance and essay writing & problem solving skills.

Joan -- is your child taking the French and German subject tests back to back?  If so, I'm very impressed!  My kids took both, but separate years.  They are fluent in both languages but can still get confused if they're switching back and forth.  For example, if they listened to something in German while prepping for AP French, I'd hear German words sneaking into their oral responses.  =)

Hi Joan,

If your daughter did fine on the multiple choice part of the AP English Language exam, then I'd think that she'd also be ready for the SAT 2 Literature test now without a lot of additional study.

Dd decided to try the SAT 2 Lit in the middle of her AP English Lang year. She was already signed up for the winter SAT 2 Latin exam when she tried the Lit practice test in the CB Blue Book just for fun. She was pleasantly surprised by how well prepared she was already. So she added the exam to her Dec testing at the last minute, spent a few hours reviewing with the Barron's guide (mostly poetry passages, which aren't an emphasis in AP Lang), and went in and did extremely well.

The science and Latin exams required more prep time on her part, because she's a big picture gal, and those tests required more memorizing of details & vocabulary. On the other hand, she found the corresponding AP science and Latin exams easier because she has good endurance and essay writing & problem solving skills.

So Kathy, are you saying that AP English Language would be enough and that the student would not need to have taken AP English Literature?

So Kathy, are you saying that AP English Language would be enough and that the student would not need to have taken AP English Literature?

Lisa, having a year of critical reading & analysis in her PA Homeschooler AP Lang class was enough for my daughter. She never took AP Lit.

You can always have your son take a practice exam & see where he stands. I checked my records for you & found that dd took the released Lit exam in the CB SAT2 book the weekend before the test date in Dec of her junior year. She analyzed her errors (mostly on poetry) & used Barron's to target her study in those areas for a couple of sessions during the following week. She took one more practice test from Barron's the day before the real thing, and since it looked good, she decided to attempt it at the last minute [You can add an additional test on testing day if you're already signed up for another. They just bill you later.] Her Barron's practice score matched her real score.

I give the credit to the PA Homeschool class (it was *that* good) & the fact that she has always been a voracious reader.

Hi Joan,

Well this is good news and bad news :-) Good as it seems like there won't be that much prep presuming she did well on the MC part, but bad news as I don't have a goal now.....I'm getting so European in my thinking of needing an exam at the end....but it's really great that we can discuss this! I just got an idea for a goal as I'm writing this post...I think I'll get the English part of the Swiss exam awhile....We'd changed our mind about the exam...but this would be keeping in line with keeping options open.....Thank you Kathy!

Here's a question though - are you meaning that there is more memorization for SAT II tests in general?

Joan -- is your child taking the French and German subject tests back to back?  If so, I'm very impressed!  My kids took both, but separate years.  They are fluent in both languages but can still get confused if they're switching back and forth.  For example, if they listened to something in German while prepping for AP French, I'd hear German words sneaking into their oral responses.  =)

Yikes - this didn't occur to me! I'll have to see what she thinks. This is not the oral exam though (only in Nov)....We are pretty used to going back and forth with languages - the other day we were at a homeschool meeting with English, German and French speakers :-) (we're really spoiled in this way)....so I hadn't thought anything of it and didn't even ask dd if it was a problem (but I'll do that now). I'll tell you how the exam turns out...

Joan

Also, I do not understand how the SAT2s can be harder than the APs, since the SAT2 is all multiple choice, but as far as I understand, the AP exams have free response sections, so guessing won't help. Plus, the SAT2 is only one hour long.

I only have experience with three of the SAT II exams - math, chemistry and physics.  When people say the SAT II's are harder than APs, they may be referring to the scoring rather than the actual content.  I think it is harder to get an 800 on the SAT II than it is to get a 5 on the AP exam. 

My son thought the Physics SAT II was at a slightly lower level of difficulty than the questions on the multiple choice section of the AP Physics B exam.  However, he thought some of the questions on the Chemistry SAT II were more difficult than the questions on the multiple choice section on the AP Chemistry exam.  The reason he found some of the Chemistry SAT II questions more difficult was because in order to answer the question, you had to have memorized the information (usually a descriptive chemistry question) and could not arrive at the correct answer using math and logic.   

Here's a question though - are you meaning that there is more memorization for SAT II tests in general?

I only have experience with three of the SAT II exams - math, chemistry and physics.  When people say the SAT II's are harder than APs, they may be referring to the scoring rather than the actual content.  I think it is harder to get an 800 on the SAT II than it is to get a 5 on the AP exam. 

My son thought the Physics SAT II was at a slightly lower level of difficulty than the questions on the multiple choice section of the AP Physics B exam.  However, he thought some of the questions on the Chemistry SAT II were more difficult than the questions on the multiple choice section on the AP Chemistry exam.  The reason he found some of the Chemistry SAT II questions more difficult was because in order to answer the question, you had to have memorized the information (usually a descriptive chemistry question) and could not arrive at the correct answer using math and logic.

:iagree: Yes, this is what I was trying to say. Sometimes high school level exams require more memorization and disconnected knowledge, where AP or college level exams require higher level synthesis, analysis, and essay writing skills. I was remembering Chemistry SAT 2 and Latin in particular when I made that remark. Chem had some memorization (things like descriptive chem, as snowbeltmom said, and flame test colors - I remember that from the review guide :tongue_smilie: ), and Latin had a lot of disconnected pieces, mostly out of context. My daughter could be a poster child for VSLs, the whole "hard is easy and easy is hard" thing. She prefers the higher level exams; for example the Latin AP, which has longer reading passages and then short questions connected to that passage or an essay to write about it.

Btw, this didn't apply to the SAT2 math, English Lit, or physics. She thought that those tests relied more on accumulated knowledge and reasoning than on memorization.

Good luck in making your choices for next year, Joan! :001_smile:

Btw, this didn't apply to the SAT2 math, English Lit, or physics. She thought that those tests relied more on accumulated knowledge and reasoning than on memorization.

Good luck in making your choices for next year, Joan! :001_smile:

My son thought the same thing about the SAT II Math II and Physics.  It was only the Chemistry where he felt he needed to spend time on memorization.  Out of the three tests, chemistry also has the harshest curve, so missing a couple of "memorization" questions would knock you out of the 800 range.