Menu

Latin Program for DS with strong Grammar

DS has cruised through Rod & Staff English.  He recently completed Rod & Staff 6 and will continue with 7 next year and onwards.  Will the Cambridge/Oxford Latin program, or Ecce Latin be good choices for us?  The style of these books appeals to me, however, I have the impression that they are lighter on Grammar than MP series.  

For those with experience with Latina Christina and Henle, where should we start if we choose this program? I am assuming we should not do Prima Latina with the Grammar experience he already has.

BTW I have no Latin.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, the Cambridge series and the MP programs & Henle have different approaches to teaching Latin. Henle uses the grammar/translation method and Cambridge uses the inductive method of teaching Latin. Though each approach has its proponents and detractors, you can successfully use either method. It seems to depend on which method works better for a given student.

Because your ds already has a good foundation in grammar learning Latin may be a little easier for him. Just remember that Latin is an inflected language which basically means that the endings of words determine their case, voice, tense, and part of speech. The position of a word in a sentence is less important, though, of course, there are better ways to write sentences in Latin just as there are in English.

In other words, pick a program which resonates with your son and go for it. There are many more Latin programs than what you've listed. Many more. Prima Latina is, as I recall, written toward the younger student (i.e., 1st-2nd grade level). Latina Christiana is written for students starting in 3rd grade. Given the board you're posting on I'm assuming your ds is in the 11-14 age range. My kids use a grammar-translation style program, though one you've not listed.

Latin Book One and Latin Book Two are a nice mix of grammar and reading. They are available free (with answer keys) on their respective Yahoo groups pages, and you can also purchase them inexpensively from Amazon. They are perfect for a student your son's age.

I don't recommend the Cambridge programmes to parents who don't have Latin themselves - I learned with Cambridge, but my teachers did a lot of supplementing to get the grammar solid; this is exactly what happens at my boys' school too.

I think that Latin Prep by Galore Park is a very good course for ages 10 to 14 or so.  It's grammar based and will extend your child's knowledge into the complexities of Latin.

L

Guest Apricatio

I am a high school Latin teacher and I am not as familiar with the various homeschool Latin programs, but I would not recommend either Cambridge or Ecce for a homeschooler unless a parent knows some Latin or you're planning on hiring a tutor.  Neither program is designed to be self-teaching and the grammatical explanations in Ecce are really lacking.  The Ecce series has better charts than Cambridge (I studied from Cambridge some in high school) but not much explanation at all.  Cambridge is just very inductive and lacking in charts.  I may well end up going with Jenney's when I teach my sons.  

I agree that Cambridge Latin and Ecce Romani look very appealing because of the story format. And I also agree with the experienced moms/teachers here who suggest that a homeschool parent is better off going for a program with more hand-holding.

Look at Latina Ponti from Harvey Center, and Latin For Children and Latin Alive from CAP. These options come with video lessons and responsive authors, so that your DS can even learn on his own.