Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 6/1 - 6/7

Snickerdoodle

Welcome back!  So jealous that Stacia got to meet you and that you got to meet her. I'd love to meet up with both of you.

I did JM 6 Week 6 Pack level 1. Whew. It's been a very long time since I've done this one and coming off of 5 weeks of low impact made this somewhat challenging. I'd love to ramp up my workouts, but my knee still gives me little pangs of protest and I'm trying to listen to it.

P90X3 Pilates - day 25/90. I'm a little discouraged that I've gained pounds since starting (already overweight); but I'm encouraged that I'm now able to do 2 very nice standard push-ups.

Could it be muscle weight?  That always throws me through a loop!

I miss swimming.  Great job, Wildiris!!

I finally feel semi-human and only have ear congestion, so I'm going to try to do a Jill Miller rehab DVD and a walk today to start me off slowly.  I don't want anything jarring or inverted so I don't put more pressure on my ear. 

In good news (or bad?) I have lost 8 lbs.  I think largely due to decreased appetite from being sick and drinking about a gallon of water for the Mucinex to work.  I also bumped up my protein and veggies since I know I was lacking those and hoped it would help with healing.  I'll take it, either way!  

Oh, and Balance Bars are gf and use fair trade chocolate and OMG they are good.  I've been trying different ones out because I am bad at getting enough protein.  Those are the winner, so far. 

I went to the gym today and did 20 min on the elliptical, weight machines -upper body and lower, back to a shorter stride elliptical 13 min , short cool down on the track, then a ton of sit ups, stretch and done. 

I just started back at the gym last week, after a year and a half of life getting in the way.

Did Kettlebell. Cleaned furiously. Expended far too much emotional energy on dh drama.

:grouphug:

I did ~40 minutes of Jill Miller's Hip Helpers.  I'm going to try to walk before we leave for baseball.

Super funny exercise related article, but it's Buzzfeed, so likely needs a language warning if little kids are reading over your shoulder. http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/things-that-inevitably-happen-when-you-start-getting-in-s?bffbdiy

I did barre3 on Saturday (and I spent Saturday night looking up online how to make a portable barre out of pvc.  cheap and easy.)  I can still feel it - but because of all the stretching I'm moving just fine.

I did do my yoga practice this morning - and dudeling even "joined" me for the final stretching poses.  (and corpse pose - then he come over an "snuggles" me.)

Super funny exercise related article, but it's Buzzfeed, so likely needs a language warning if little kids are reading over your shoulder. http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/things-that-inevitably-happen-when-you-start-getting-in-s?bffbdiy

Thank my lucky stars I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that. 

WO done, but need to work on prehab stuff.   Feeling so lazy....

I did barre3 on Saturday (and I spent Saturday night looking up online how to make a portable barre out of pvc.  cheap and easy.)  I can still feel it - but because of all the stretching I'm moving just fine.

I did do my yoga practice this morning - and dudeling even "joined" me for the final stretching poses.  (and corpse pose - then he come over an "snuggles" me.)

That's adorable!! 

I will have to make a barre. My chairs always fall over when I use them!

P90X3 Pilates - day 25/90. I'm a little discouraged that I've gained pounds since starting (already overweight); but I'm encouraged that I'm now able to do 2 very nice standard push-ups.

Please don't be discouraged. After my first 90 days I lost one shirt size, two pants sizes and gained 20 pounds. Keep up the good work!

Last night's swim--2000 yards. Lots of IM-Butterfly, Back, Breast, Freestyle. I'm working on the butterfly and I feel like a drowning moth. It's going to take some time.

My youngest DD is on a swim team. She and I both eat a Builder's Bar after practice. It has 20g of protein and comes in some good flavors.  I also hear that chocolate milk is a good thing to drink after a workout.

JuanitaL-- Congrats on the push-ups. I am still on the girl style push-up, on my knees, and I still can only do about 5. Don't get discouraged. Just keep going and stay dedicated to getting physically fit. Try not to let life get in the way. It is so easy to say,"Tomorrow." It has taken me a year to get to where I am swimming. I've lost some weight, but more important I've built muscle. As we age, it is harder to build muscle and easy to lose muscle.

Today at the gym I did 20 min on the regular elliptical, worked my stomach and back muscles on the weight machines, 20 min on the short stride elliptical, tons of sit ups, stretch and done.

I am also doing Body by Vi shakes. 

I also hear that chocolate milk is a good thing to drink after a workout.

JM debunked that in her latest book. Said the researchers who made this claim were funded by dairy companies.

Darn, the Builder's Bars may have wheat in them. None for me.

JM debunked that in her latest book. Said the researchers who made this claim were funded by dairy companies.

Darn, the Builder's Bars may have wheat in them. None for me.

Who is JM? Interesting.

About chocolate milk University of Arkansas:

Recent studies have shown that drinking chocolate milk after exercising is advantageous because of its protein content. Every cup of chocolate milk contains between eight and 11 grams of protein. Experts say that ideally you will want to consume between 15g and 25g of protein after a workout, which equals between 500ml and 750ml of chocolate milk.

Compared to plain milk, water or most sports drinks, it contains double the carbohydrate content, ideal for tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost from sweating and assists in preventing dehydration. In addition, it gives the body calcium, vitamin D, sodium and sugar, which help you retain water and regain energy. Milk also contains key nutrients that sports drinks cannot match.

UAMS' Dr. Jorge Rodriguez, who is certified in treating sports injuries, said that he would tell his athletes about the study. "I would have them give it a trial if they wish. In addition, I would recommend consultation with a sports nutritionist." He said though that generally for exercise under an hour, water is all that is needed.

Before you make the switch to chocolate milk, examine your workout routine. Chocolate milk is most helpful for athletes who need high levels of calories, carbohydrates and proteins to maintain their level of play.

I did ballet beautiful.

So, sorry I've been gone for a week.  My period just takes it out of me. It didn't used to. I used to be one of those women who hardly noticed it. But, now I am in my late 40s I am just exhausted for a day or two before and then right up to the end. It's become a whole 'thing' now, and I hate things.

But I did something today and I am glad I did. I need some heavy cardio this week...just need to find the motivation. I think it rolled under the couch

I wasn't feeling very perky yesterday  then I got kicked in the head and in the leg yesterday at MA.   I guess you could say I'm feeling much, much less perky today.    I'm sort of not feeling the love right now.  :(

Today WO, stretch and roll.    I'm going to skip MA for the rest of the week except for the little admin stuff I need to do.   

Builder's Bars or Balance Bars? Because I saw the testing for the latter and it was safe.  The Builder's Bars have more protein, though.

The Builder's Bars say "May contain wheat" (among other things) on the package.

I saw in a gf magazine a rec for a high protein bar that was gf but I can't remember now.

Who is JM? Interesting.

Recent studies have shown that drinking chocolate milk after exercising is advantageous because of its protein content. Every cup of chocolate milk contains between eight and 11 grams of protein. Experts say that ideally you will want to consume between 15g and 25g of protein after a workout, which equals between 500ml and 750ml of chocolate milk.

Compared to plain milk, water or most sports drinks, it contains double the carbohydrate content, ideal for tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost from sweating and assists in preventing dehydration. In addition, it gives the body calcium, vitamin D, sodium and sugar, which help you retain water and regain energy. Milk also contains key nutrients that sports drinks cannot match.

UAMS' Dr. Jorge Rodriguez, who is certified in treating sports injuries, said that he would tell his athletes about the study. "I would have them give it a trial if they wish. In addition, I would recommend consultation with a sports nutritionist." He said though that generally for exercise under an hour, water is all that is needed.

Before you make the switch to chocolate milk, examine your workout routine. Chocolate milk is most helpful for athletes who need high levels of calories, carbohydrates and proteins to maintain their level of play.

I have not personally taken the time to dig deeper. Just passing along the info Jillian Michaels (aka JM) said in her book. I never looked up the references she used because it's a non-issue for me as cow milk does not agree with me. I drink almond or coconut milk.

I wasn't feeling very perky yesterday  then I got kicked in the head and in the leg yesterday at MA.   I guess you could say I'm feeling much, much less perky today.    I'm sort of not feeling the love right now.  :(

Today WO, stretch and roll.    I'm going to skip MA for the rest of the week except for the little admin stuff I need to do.   

Take care!!

I'm going to try a short interval run with Run! Zombies! here in a bit.  I have a list of stretches and kettlebell stuff to do first.  I'm having a late breakfast.  Then I was going to try out my new Bellydance DVD.

Got through day 1 of the Run! Zombies! 5k.  It was actually pretty good. I didn't even pass out.  Dh went with me.  I hate exercising with people, but he insisted.  And then just as I get my kettlebell stuff ready, he comes home from work early. *twitch* so no more exercise for me today.  Am I the only one that refuses to workout with people around?  It's so annoying.  They have to bust in every 5 seconds and ask me a million questions or even worse-stare.  Ugh.

Got through day 1 of the Run! Zombies! 5k.  It was actually pretty good. I didn't even pass out.  Dh went with me.  I hate exercising with people, but he insisted.  And then just as I get my kettlebell stuff ready, he comes home from work early. *twitch* so no more exercise for me today.  Am I the only one that refuses to workout with people around?  It's so annoying.  They have to bust in every 5 seconds and ask me a million questions or even worse-stare.  Ugh.

I love Run! Zombies 5k.  I have done it several times. The first time from beginning to end and then after that I started a couple weeks in. I use it in the spring after not running during the winter. I have sampled a couple C25K, but that is my favorite.  The regular Run! Zombies is just good.

I cannot stand people bugging me when I exercise. I just yell at them. They figure it out eventually and go away. Now I only get bothered when there is a true need. They have me the rest of the day, they can live without me for an hour.

Youch! Take care.  I have to admit I couldn't do MA because if you kicked me in the head I would get mad and go crazy.

I hate to exercise with others.  I don't want to talk and I hate feeling like I need to slow down or speed up or give them attention.

I took a very foggy run this morning.  It was funny to see this exercise with people post because ds 18 and I both left the house at the same time this morning.  He went right and I went left.  Obviously we are lone exercisers.

Who is JM? Interesting.

I experimented with chocolate milk- because everyone in our family has unusually high calorie needs.  The chocolate milk seemed to energize and hydrate without that unpleasant hungry sugar buzz of gatorade.  But I don't use it unless it's after a long run or long workout.  It seems to really help my kids keep their energy levels even.

I have to admit I couldn't do MA because if you kicked me in the head I would get mad and go crazy.

You think you would go crazy, but really you would grab your head and try your best not to cry like a baby in front of everyone.

WO went fine yesterday.    Today skillwork and stretch.     Feeling more perky but still taking the week off MA.

I experimented with chocolate milk- because everyone in our family has unusually high calorie needs.  The chocolate milk seemed to energize and hydrate without that unpleasant hungry sugar buzz of gatorade.  But I don't use it unless it's after a long run or long workout.  It seems to really help my kids keep their energy levels even.

I bet it is lots better than gatorade. That stuff is nothing but sugar with some salt thrown in. Way too much sugar. I can't stand the way it tastes.

Took it easy on my knee today and did Ellen Barrett Fat Burning Pilates.