Menu

Can you freeze avocados for guacamole?

IfIOnly

We eat a ton of guacamole here (dairy free, so it tops enchiladas, tacos, is an ingredient in my 7 layer dip and more), and I'm hoping to find a way to make it less juggling for me.  You know, only finding unripe avocados at the store or in my kitchen when I need them.  When they are finally ripe, then,  I don't have tortilla chips or other ingredients for a certain meal!  So, I did some online research and found these directions for successfully freezing avocados for the sole purpose of guac:

Squeeze lime juice over sliced or mashed avocado in a sturdy zip-top bag, squeeze out all the air and seal tightly. 

What do you think?  To good to be true?  Any experience or other ideas?  

I'd imagine it would work better for guacamole since it's mashed than for sliced or cubed avocados.

Have you ever tried storing your avocados in the fridge?  I haven't done it myself since I live in Mexico and I can always find avocados at any stage of ripeness at any store, but my mother and sister buy avocados at Costco and put them in the fridge when they're just starting to get soft.  They last a long time at the perfect stage and it gives them a lot of flexibility.

When I see I've let a fresh avocado go too long, I throw it in the freezer whole. I add them to smoothies and make guac with them once they're defrosted. To defrost, I just set them out on the counter and do something with them when I remember that they're there :). In a pinch, I've put them in the microwave to defrost, but that's only to throw them into a smoothie.

I freeze avocados all the time --  just wait for them to be ripe,, peel and pit, wrap them in plastic wrap and then put into a ziploc bag.  When I want them, I usually defrost in the microwave or leave them in the bag and put them in warm water until they're thawed enough to work with.  They won't turn brown as long as you use them quickly or get them mixed into guacamole right away.  

That's really useful to know! While we're on the subject - How long does it generally take one of those rock-hard avocados from the store to get ripe? What's the best way to store them if you want them to ripen?

Avocados are a fruit that will only ripen once they are picked, so unless you want to eat them say THAT day, you are better off buying them hard and letting them ripen at home! They won't ripen in cold temps, so putting those rock-hard avos in the fridge is pretty much useless...although if they are already ripe store them in there to prolong their life.

If you want them to ripen in a few days, store them in a cool dark place. You can speed up he process by putting them in a paper bag...even faster if you put an apple or banana in with them to produce more ethylene gas:)

We eat avocados almost daily as we are vegetarians, and I always have them in various stages. We have also frozen avocado, and the lime or lemon juice definitely helps preserve the proper consistency. My hubby likes avo on toast, but without the lime, and so we sometimes freeze it with a bit of garlic and olive oil. This has worked just fine as well.

These are awesome comments about freezing. I've seen it on Pinterest (lol) and was leery, so I greatly appreciate the personal experiences.  We eat more avocados than any other fruit at my house.

That's really useful to know!  While we're on the subject - How long does it generally take one of those rock-hard avocados from the store to get ripe?  What's the best way to store them if you want them to ripen?

If you buy them rock hard, put them on your counter next to your bananas.  The bananas give off a chemical that ripens many fruits.  Once they are ripe, they should be eaten pretty quickly (unless you freeze them!).  You can put them in the fridge for a day or two, but they will be less than optimum.

Glad to see so many good ideas in the responses. I'm the only one in my house who likes avocados (at least right now), and I don't always get mine eaten when planned.

Here's another idea: avocado "ice cream". I saw this a while back -- my then workplace had someone come to a health fair to demo making it and give out samples. Look online for recipes. The avocado provides the fat, so it can be entirely dairy-free. The cold suppresses the flavor of the avocado so you can add chocolate or other flavorings and it doesn't taste too weird.

This is great info.! Thank you!!!  Yesterday I spent my once a year price comparing trip to FIVE stores (I'm trashed today, but it was worth it) and you bet I was scoping out who had the best price on avocados.  :P  Looking forward to simplifying a bit by having guac. ready to pull out from the freezer when needed.  Thanks again!

A bit off the topic, but I wanted to say that I also freeze the jalapeño and the cilantro for guac. I grow or buy jalapeños and food process tons of them at once. Then I freeze them in ice cube trays and use 1 cube per jalapeño needed. I freeze the cilantro whole in a big and crumble off the amount I need to use. HTH someone!

A bit off the topic, but I wanted to say that I also freeze the jalapeño and the cilantro for guac. I grow or buy jalapeños and food process tons of them at once. Then I freeze them in ice cube trays and use 1 cube per jalapeño needed. I freeze the cilantro whole in a big and crumble off the amount I need to use. HTH someone!

I had decided to give this a try, too.  I use jalepeno, poblano, anaheim, and green bell pepper regularly enough.  Thanks for the success story!  I also bought a big 1 pound bag of basil to freeze for pesto (dairy free) and Thai dishes.  I also got lemon grass stalks (also for Thai food) and am so stoked to have those handy now.  I've been freezing ginger (but peel first with a potato peeler) for years and just grating as needed.  This all feels like a huge time saver and convenience in my life.  Yay!

That's really useful to know!  While we're on the subject - How long does it generally take one of those rock-hard avocados from the store to get ripe?  What's the best way to store them if you want them to ripen?

They ripen very fast, in a few days.