Menu

Math Facts Practice...Apps... LD

X-posted

Dd struggles with rote memorization. She's 9 (4th grade) and can't memorize the months of the year, our address or phone number. Math facts are also hard for her but she's testing behind simply because she can't do them quickly enough. I'm looking for apps that would help her speed up her math fact recall. Ideas?

Not an app, but there is xtramath if she is struggling with speed you can set her account to give her more time per question (I think 6 seconds not 3?).

For memory in general, have you tried having her sing things like the months of the year and her address and phone number? That is how we memorize them. Also skip counting songs. A traditional method to memorize the times tables was to chant them over and over, like this: one three three, two threes six, three threes nine, four threes twelve, five threes fifteen, etc. (last syllable is emphasized) try having her do this while clapping her hands once for each number and do it with her. Our brains are geared to remember song and rhythm.

The way I had the kids get the phone numbers down, I started with a worksheet I created with the numbers filled in.  We talked about the numbers and said them aloud, trying to find interesting patterns.  Then every day we would write the numbers on the dry erase board after we had looked at them and talked about them.  At first they were just copying them onto the dry erase.  Then I was leaving one out and they had to remember that one.  And then it was two that were missing.  We did that for weeks.  DS got it pretty darn quick but DD cannot rote memorize so it took time.  Focusing on the patterns, saying it out loud every day, copying it, then having to fill in parts, etc. really helped her.  Once she was doing better with that, then I also had them dialing the number.  Every morning.  We did the number practice for about 5-10 minutes every weekday.  We then did the same thing with the address.  Once they had it down, I had it as something we reviewed twice a week for several weeks, then finally just once a week and finally every two weeks.

For the math facts I like maize's idea.  We may try that here.  We have not ever found a method that works well for rote memorization of those.  DD still uses a multiplication grid but she can now fill the entire thing out on her own without getting stuck and is starting to see the patterns.  Computer math games just frustrate her so I'm no help there.

Lovinmomma, I don't mean to interject myself here too much since it's not what you asked in this thread, but have you considered evals?  It's time.  Those are some pretty serious things to be saying about a 9 yo, and you had another thread where you said you were pulling her out of school to homeschool and are very concerned.  I think you may be incorrect on your assumption of what's going on.  It's very possible it's *not* dyslexia or not *just* dyslexia.  

You need evals, full evals.  You need them more than curriculum or apps or anything else, because you don't know what you're dealing with.  First you need a full psych eval, and then there may need to be a speech eval and possibly an auditory processing eval.  Until you know what you're dealing with, you can't solve the problem.

As far as where to get them, sometimes the ps will do a terrific job on evals and sometimes you have to go privately.  If your dc qualifies for any state assistance to get beyond what the ps offers, take advantage of it.  Those are the questions I would be asking.  There's a general book The Mislabeled Child and also When the Brain Can't Hear.  See if your library has them.

The way I had the kids get the phone numbers down, I started with a worksheet I created with the numbers filled in.  We talked about the numbers and said them aloud, trying to find interesting patterns.  Then every day we would write the numbers on the dry erase board after we had looked at them and talked about them.  At first they were just copying them onto the dry erase.  Then I was leaving one out and they had to remember that one.  And then it was two that were missing.  We did that for weeks.  DS got it pretty darn quick but DD cannot rote memorize so it took time.  Focusing on the patterns, saying it out loud every day, copying it, then having to fill in parts, etc. really helped her.  Once she was doing better with that, then I also had them dialing the number.  Every morning.  We did the number practice for about 5-10 minutes every weekday.  We then did the same thing with the address.  Once they had it down, I had it as something we reviewed twice a week for several weeks, then finally just once a week and finally every two weeks.

For the math facts I like maize's idea.  We may try that here.  We have not ever found a method that works well for rote memorization of those.  DD still uses a multiplication grid but she can now fill the entire thing out on her own without getting stuck and is starting to see the patterns.  Computer math games just frustrate her so I'm no help there.

Hey OneStep, they might have learned it faster if you had used the digits as a passcode for something they really wanted.  (iPad, whatever)   :lol: 

Hey OneStep, they might have learned it faster if you had used the digits as a passcode for something they really wanted.  (iPad, whatever)   :lol: 

What's funny is we have a passcode to get into our house, both front and back door, instead of a standard keyed lock.  And I had a devil of a time learning how to get in my own home.  I had to rely on my kids...

:lol:

Lovinmomma, I don't mean to interject myself here too much since it's not what you asked in this thread, but have you considered evals? It's time. Those are some pretty serious things to be saying about a 9 yo, and you had another thread where you said you were pulling her out of school to homeschool and are very concerned. I think you may be incorrect on your assumption of what's going on. It's very possible it's *not* dyslexia or not *just* dyslexia.

You need evals, full evals. You need them more than curriculum or apps or anything else, because you don't know what you're dealing with. First you need a full psych eval, and then there may need to be a speech eval and possibly an auditory processing eval. Until you know what you're dealing with, you can't solve the problem.

As far as where to get them, sometimes the ps will do a terrific job on evals and sometimes you have to go privately. If your dc qualifies for any state assistance to get beyond what the ps offers, take advantage of it. Those are the questions I would be asking. There's a general book The Mislabeled Child and also When the Brain Can't Hear. See if your library has them.

Yes, absolutely, and your opinions are welcome. School is out here, so I'm just trying to do whatever I can do to help keep her moving forward until school starts back up. I'm also going to do some things independently, but dd will be leaving for most of the summer to visit her dad. Her dad will not encourage any sort of schooling or reading so I thought a math fact app would be better than nothing. ;)

X-posted

Dd struggles with rote memorization. She's 9 (4th grade) and can't memorize the months of the year, our address or phone number. Math facts are also hard for her but she's testing behind simply because she can't do them quickly enough. I'm looking for apps that would help her speed up her math fact recall. Ideas?

That was my DS!!

Still is to some extent. 

Interactive metronome was a life saver. He actually knows the days of the week and his math facts are not as fast as I would like but are coming along nicely.