Menu

Feeding a "crowd" - Not sure what to make

AlmiraGulch

"Crowd" in quotations because it really isn't, but it is to me.

I'll have my strapping 21 year old stepson and two of his friends visiting us from Europe for two weeks.  I know they'll go out some nights, but I need to plan on feeding these people, and not just dinner, for nearly two weeks.   I don't usually cook for that many people.

It'll be those three, my husband, an 11 year old girl, sometimes a 10 year old girl, and me.  My 17 year old never eats what we eat, so I'm not overly concerned for her.

I'll be stocking up on snacks, cereal, eggs, breakfast sausage, bread, cheese....easy things for breakfast.  We should be good there.

What the heck should I buy for lunches and dinners?  I can make pasta easily enough, of course, but I don't want to make that every night.  

If you have a larger family, especially with adult children, what in the world do you stock up on to feed them?  I have to grocery shop tomorrow and I want them fed without breaking the bank.  I'm thinking a Costco trip may be in order.

Find boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale (or buy in large quantities at Costco). Put in the crockpot with a bottle of wing sauce.  Shred chicken when done, adding back in some of the crockpot juice, along with another part of a bottle of wing sauce.  (Note that wing sauce is NOT the same as hot sauce!)  Serve on sub rolls with blue cheese or ranch dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, etc.

Stock up on hot dogs and hamburger meat. Make dogs and burgers. They make good lunch leftovers.  Serve with corn on the cob, watermelon, and baked beans, all inexpensive food that is healthy enough.

Chipotle-style giant burritos.   Set up a make your own burrito bar, with fajita style meat (we use chicken), lime cilantro rice (recipe from WTM a few years ago), sauteed onions and peppers (inexpensive, healthy stretch to a meal), pinto or black beans, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, homemade guacamole, and lettuce.

Pancakes are a great way to feed hungry "kids."

Sub sandwiches, again, a do-it-yourself kind of sub bar, with your meats/cheeses of choice, and additions similar to Subway.

Taco bar, same set up as the other do it yourself bars, with appropriate options.

Frozen pizzas and popsicles.

Bagels, whether for breakfasts or for sandwiches.

Just a few more suggestions to consider:

If you cook in quantity, you will have some left overs for lunches...

Lasagna serve with Green Salad & French Bread

Spaghetti serve with Green Salad & Garlic Bread

Taco Salad and all the fixings and some sort of fruit

Meat Loaf with your usual sides

Chicken Spaghetti serve with fruit wedges  and a veggie dish

Chicken Divan and just about anything

Roast (at least two) Chicken and your favorite sides and mashed potatoes and gravy

Shredded Beef (on a bun) serve with Potato Salad & Baked Beans

Fajitas with all the fixings serve with Spanish Rice &  Refried Beans

There will definitely be a lasagna in there, because my stepson loves my lasagna.  

I love the taco or burrito bar idea.

Some sort of shredded meat from the slow cooker, depending on what's on sale.

I have a chop suey recipe from my grandmother that I'm going to make one night.  

Lots of good ideas here.  Thank you!

For me, the key to keeping a crowd of young people fed is to make sure there's a lot of fruit and veg in whatever I make, plus a decent protein, rather than "empty calories".  Whole grains are more filling than their "white" alternatives.

--Oatmeal for breakfast, done with apples and walnuts and such in the crockpot, using milk instead of water, can feed a crowd a healthy meal that lasts them a while.

-Chili with lots of veg and beans (and meat if you like), served over brown rice, served with cornbread and butter.

--Burrito fillings - a mix of tomato, corn, onion, and beans.  You can mix cheese into the filling (if you want some control over proportions) or serve it on the side.  Guac is nice, and you may like greens (lettuce, spinach).   Whole wheat tortillas are nice.

--Some kind of pot pie or shepard's pie type dish, with meat and gravy and lots of veggies, with potatoes or biscuit topping is always nice.  You could have a chicken version one night and a hamburger one another night.

--Fruit desserts such as cobblers and crumbles are yummy and reasonably healthy and filling.  They are also great for breakfast the next day!

--For lunches, a variety of sandwich fillings or planned leftovers are yummy, and will give you a break from the cooking.

Chicken, and sweet pepper (summer yum!)  stew is nice and goes a long way. You can add carrots & potatoes as well.  Fish on the grill. I've noticed rock fish is reasonably priced right now. You can add some veggies to the grill as well.  Toss with oil, salt & pepper.  Pasta is easy and filling-toss with olive oil, or chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, some grated hard cheese.  Serve a nice bread with it.  Thick soups with barely, rice, beans, potatoes.  Quiche or frittata.  Tuna & chicken salad?  Bread & butter.  Hummus with pitas or veggies.  Pizza (you can buy the dough- if you wish for time's sake-  in the produce section), let folks add favored toppings. Fun to do together.

Putting out a mid-afternoon snack buffet is also a good idea for filling those never-ending bellies. Fruit, cheese, olives, chips/guacamole/salsa, deviled or boiled eggs, veggies & dip, pickles...I find it amazing what "kids" will eat when it is just left out and looks good and they don't have to scrounge. Even better is if there are plates and serving utensils right there.

Oh! And think about what you might want to use for a salad and put those veggies out sliced and ready to just pick up and eat before you serve dinner. I can't tell you how many times bell pepper strips, carrot sticks, celery filled w/ cream cheese or pb, and cucumber slices have been picked at by teens and before I know it all the veggies are gone and dinner has still to be eaten.

Just a few more suggestions to consider:

If you cook in quantity, you will have some left overs for lunches...

Lasagna serve with Green Salad & French Bread

Spaghetti serve with Green Salad & Garlic Bread

Taco Salad and all the fixings and some sort of fruit

Meat Loaf with your usual sides

Chicken Spaghetti serve with fruit wedges and a veggie dish

Chicken Divan and just about anything

Roast (at least two) Chicken and your favorite sides and mashed potatoes and gravy

Shredded Beef (on a bun) serve with Potato Salad & Baked Beans

Fajitas with all the fixings serve with Spanish Rice & Refried Beans

This list is almost exactly the meals I was going to suggest!

I'm really glad you posted this. My big "kids" won't be around much this summer but my tween & teen will have a lot of friends hanging out here. It is so helpful to do some slicing and dicing over the weekend so as to have healthy snacks around to leave on the counters. I have several snack dishes that have ice packs made to fit underneath so it is really simple to leave everything out for hours and not worry about safety.

When my out of town DD and her family are in town I end up feeding the whole crowd ( 19) of us, constantly.

What I usually do is make up a list of meals I have planned for, and then post it on the fridge to keep myself remembering what I have to choose from.

I stock up on tuna or canned chicken, so there is always a quick sandwich meal ready for lunch.  Bread, lettuce, tomato, some fruit, good to go.

Lots of good bread choices at Costco.

We buy the large bag of tortilla's there and I can do quesdillas on the grill in a hurry with leftover meat from any meal and some cheese.  Tortilla chips and salsa.Sometimes I buy a bag of precooked chicken and/or beef and can add that to tortillas too. It makes fajitas easy too.  Stock up on Avocados for sandwiches or taco night.

I buy their huge bag of precooked bacon and we can do BLT's easy enough.

Dinner is often grilled.

Costco's deli chicken is as cheap as buying whole fresh chickens.  Buy a one or two each week and you have a meal and then leftovers.

Italian Beef sandwiches.  Awesome.

BBQ's always a crowd pleaser.

When I make Chicken Divan I put a layer of rice in the casserole before I put in the broccoli and chicken.

I  Lots of fruits and raw veggies, choices of cereal, yogurt, granola's, bagels, lots of orange juice.  We don't do pop ehre, so other than juice for breakfast, it's water. 

I find it very costly to feed a crowd sandwiches- sandwich meat is expensive!

We host small group at our house, and things that will get you lots of bang for your buck are:

Tacos/Nachos

Soup/Salad/Quiche

Spaghetti/Salad

BBQ Pork or Beef in Crockpot

Red Beans and Rice/Big batch of Jambalaya/Gumbo

Giant bowl of potato salad

chicken salad and crackers with fruit (snacks, or light lunch)

Pasta Salads

Putting out a mid-afternoon snack buffet is also a good idea for filling those never-ending bellies. Fruit, cheese, olives, chips/guacamole/salsa, deviled or boiled eggs, veggies & dip, pickles...I find it amazing what "kids" will eat when it is just left out and looks good and they don't have to scrounge. Even better is if there are plates and serving utensils right there.

This!  

A table full of young people will devour things like a plate of cheese and apple slices if it's placed in their vicinity.  I much prefer to serve healthy things like greenvneck has posted than the chips-and-dip route.  It's real food that fills their bellies and tides them over until the next meal.

This list is almost exactly the meals I was going to suggest!

So does this mean we are both enthusiastic and energetic culinary artists (or just both stuck in the same rut?) :laugh:   Hilarious!

Actually, I think it is reflective of the fact that we both cook in quantity on a regular basis!

Chicken, and sweet pepper (summer yum!)  stew is nice and goes a long way. You can add carrots & potatoes as well.  Fish on the grill. I've noticed rock fish is reasonably priced right now. You can add some veggies to the grill as well.  Toss with oil, salt & pepper.  Pasta is easy and filling-toss with olive oil, or chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, some grated hard cheese.  Serve a nice bread with it.  Thick soups with barely, rice, beans, potatoes.  Quiche or frittata.  Tuna & chicken salad?  Bread & butter.  Hummus with pitas or veggies.  Pizza (you can buy the dough- if you wish for time's sake-  in the produce section), let folks add favored toppings. Fun to do together.

So how about ponying up a recipe? :tongue_smilie:  

That chicken and sweet pepper stew sounds divine!

Just sayin'

Thank you!  These are great ideas.  I'm making my Costco list now.  

Something I like to make when we have a big group for one reason another is meatball subs.  I buy the big bag of meatballs from Costco and hoagie rolls.  I mix half marinara and BBQ sauce or just marina with the meatballs and top with cheese, onions, and some times peppers like chopped green or pepperoncini.  For a more fancy meal, I'll caramelized onions, get a special cheese like gouda and toast the buns in the oven first.  

Chicken haystacks.....in a crockpot warm shredded or cut up up cooked chicken pieces with a can of chicken mushroom soup and 2-3x as much chicken broth, season. Put chicken broth mixture over cooked rice. Have a "bar" type set up with whatever toppings people like. Suggestions are chow mein noodles, pineapple tidbits, shredded cheese, shredded coconut, chopped bell peppers, chopped celery, slivered almonds, soy sauce, Siracha sauce, etc...

Breakfast burritos.....scramble the eggs with onion and bell peppers or mix salsa in with the eggs. Berries or other fruit go well as sides.

Baked Potato bars, maybe use leftover chili as a topping suggestion.

Egg casserole (you can use crescent roll dough on the bottom and bake egg mixture on top.

Cook Pork Shoulder in a crockpot, shred, and use for wraps, BBQ sandwiches, casserole, tacos, or baked potato topping.

Huge pot of soup of choice with cornbread or biscuits.

Jambalaya....I do an easy cheat version. Sauté onions, garlic, frozen mixed veggies (like corn, peas, small diced carrots). After cooked, simmer with chicken broth, a can of diced tomatoes, and jambalaya seasoning (easy to find recipe online). Add mixture to huge pot of cooked rice and stir. Tastes good leftover and can make in large quantities.

Bake or roast a turkey, then make something like Turkey tetrazzini and cut slices for hearty sandwiches.

So how about ponying up a recipe? :tongue_smilie:  

That chicken and sweet pepper stew sounds divine!

Just sayin'

:) It's delicious and pretty.  It's best if you use chicken pieces with skin, and brown first, but you can also make it with chopped chicken breasts to save time, or thighs to save money.  I love to use the long Italian peppers along with colorful bells, but it you can't find them, bell peppers work perfectly well.  It's basically a matter of sauteing in olive oil a large onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, and 5-7 sliced peppers in the same pan you browned the chicken, and adding salt, pepper, rosemary, dry white wine and letting it all simmer. You can roast the peppers first if you want, but it's not necessary.  You can heft it up with diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, potatoes, beans etc.

I tried to load a link, but it's not working. One of my favorite inspirational websites for Italian 'peasant' foods (which work well for crowds)  is Italianfoodforever.com  Pretty sure they have a chicken and pepper stew recipe. I'll try to post the link again.