Menu

Memoria Press (Lots of) Questions

kagmypts

I am looking at using Memoria Press next year (I will be using different math and science programs), but I have a few concerns.  First, how well does this work for families who have multiple kids?  Next year, I will have a child in Kindy/1st (I am not sure on placement for him yet since he really is a second semester Kindergartner), a third grader, and a fifth grader.  This past year, my youngest was in a B&M preschool, and I combined science/history/poetry/Bible for my older two kids.  That worked really well for us so I am not sure what I think of having a completely different program for each child for each subject.

Has anyone used the Kindy program?  If so, how did you like it?  Was it too much, or was there something that was lacking?  I planned on pulling materials from a few different sources, but I like the idea of having everything pulled together for me.  However, $200+ seems steep just for LA.  I would appreciate any insight into the Kindy program.

For my third grader, are all of the books black and white?  If so, do your kids miss having things in color?  We had a lot of black and white materials this past year, but my son always perked up when his books in color came out.  Also, he is a math and science kid, and he pretty much despises anything having to do with Language Arts (LA).  Is MP a bad fit for him?  In some ways, I guess it doesn't matter since he will be learning LA in any program, but I am afraid that it may be overkill for him.  How much writing is there in a typical day?  Also, how long does a typical day last, and how independent is it?  Last but not least, I don't feel that he has mastered the basic parts of speech.  Would he be ready for Latin?

With respect to my fifth grader, I am sure that she will do fine with whatever program I choose.  She's my easy one.  :-)  How long can I expect her day to be?  I am assuming that by this point that MP would be fairly independent, correct?

As an overarching question for all grades, do any of you find MP dry and boring?

I would love any other insight - good or bad!  Are there any other considerations that I am missing?  Thank you!

ETA - Are there any MP B/S/T Yahoo or Facebook groups?

Yes, a MP Facebook group was just recently started...hopefully this link works: https://www.facebook.com/groups/722880901096649/

There are also forums on the MP website, and the ladies there are extraordinarily helpful when questions like this are asked.

Thank you.  I just requested membership on the FB group.

I have been browsing the MP forums, but I feel really weird asking if people like MP on their boards.  I am hoping for some honest answers.

Thank you.  I just requested membership on the FB group.

I have been browsing the MP forums, but I feel really weird asking if people like MP on their boards.  I am hoping for some honest answers.

you might not want to ask IF people like MP stuff on the MP board...but you could ask WHY they like it.  that might help in some way. 

Oh I just saw you there. Don't fear us there are more than a handful of mamas with 7+ kiddos that more than happy to talk about the good and the difficult. MP is great about listening to the teacher mamas and making suggestions and changes to make things work. They want us to be successful.

We are in the last stretch of Kinder and I'm working on long winded reviews but would be glad to answer any questions you have.

FWIW If you piece meal and bargain hunt the literature books the price drops on your end, but it is much easier to get it all with a click.

Oh I just saw you there. Don't fear us there are more than a handful of mamas with 7+ kiddos that more than happy to talk about the good and the difficult. MP is great about listening to the teacher mamas and making suggestions and changes to make things work. They want us to be successful.

We are in the last stretch of Kinder and I'm working on long winded reviews but would be glad to answer any questions you have.

FWIW If you piece meal and bargain hunt the literature books the price drops on your end, but it is much easier to get it all with a click.

I just replied to you over there with another question.  When you are done with your long review, I would love to see it!  Overall, are you happy with MP's Kindy?  My five year old has some fairly major speech delays, and consequently, he was very socially delayed.  As a result, we kept him in preschool for an extra year.  His preschool has a 5/6 program for kids who need an extra year to be ready for Kindy.  He completed the first book in Handwriting Without Tears this past year and knows all of his letters and sounds.  Although he is not reading, he can spell really well by isolating sounds.  Starting tomorrow, I plan to work with him on his reading.  Since blending comes to him fairly naturally, I think that he will catch on quickly.  With all of that said, do you think that the Kindy program would be a good fit for him?  Do we need to do all of it?

For the record, Rainbow Resource had some great deals on MP.  For example, the Kindy Supplement & Enrichment Set is $218 (compared to $325 directly from MP), and it ships for free. The shipping directly from MP was killer.

I am not sure what your experience is with MP, but as a general rule is there a lot of writing?  Is it time consuming?  Is it engaging?  Truthfully, those are my biggest fears.  I especially worry about the amount of writing for my rising third grader.  For the most part, my kids don't dawdle when it comes to their work.  They want to sit down, focus, and be done.  This past year we were completely done with our school day in less than 3 hours (2nd and 4th grades).  That does not include our lunch break.  Do you thnk that MP would be doable in the same time frame?  Truth be told, I don't really want to extend the length of our school day.

I want to reply to you in depth...

Yes, love MP kinder.

I've hugged RR enough that they're finally carrying it. Its been only a few days that they've had it actually. :)

Re: writing. That's debatable. I hear lots if other people call it heavy writing, but we don't think it's enough. The physical copywork/copybook is only one day a week. There is writing in math 1-2 pages per day (5-day week). Here is writing in FSR, again 1-2 pages per day with some days adding in a page or two from a supplemental workbook for reinforcement. You can skip and use as appropriate for your child the math blackline pages and the phonics workbook as necessary.

Time consuming. Not in my opinion. If she buckles down, it doesn't take us an hour. If she day dreams and easily gets distracted all day it can take hours. As ive mentioned my daughter is in the younger age on the grade, younger than MP recommends, so if there is a day she's just adament about no or limited school we go with it.

Engaging. To us definitely. The enrichment especially is a sprig board for further research and living books learning. The math excites my daughter, the other day she ran in and was jumping up and down (they brought the plus sign back, mama!) As we've been working on subtraction the let few lessons she was delighted to see an "old friend". She loves to talk about he art and artist (I only have her memorize the name).

As for your rising third grader, you'll need to ask the others more about that in the MP forum.

I think if they're sit and do it could easily be done in that time.

I want to reply to you in depth...

Yes, love MP kinder.

I've hugged RR enough that they're finally carrying it. Its been only a few days that they've had it actually. :)

Re: writing. That's debatable. I hear lots if other people call it heavy writing, but we don't think it's enough. The physical copywork/copybook is only one day a week. There is writing in math 1-2 pages per day (5-day week). Here is writing in FSR, again 1-2 pages per day with some days adding in a page or two from a supplemental workbook for reinforcement. You can skip and use as appropriate for your child the math blackline pages and the phonics workbook as necessary.

Time consuming. Not in my opinion. If she buckles down, it doesn't take us an hour. If she day dreams and easily gets distracted all day it can take hours. As ive mentioned my daughter is in the younger age on the grade, younger than MP recommends, so if there is a day she's just adament about no or limited school we go with it.

Engaging. To us definitely. The enrichment especially is a sprig board for further research and living books learning. The math excites my daughter, the other day she ran in and was jumping up and down (they brought the plus sign back, mama!) As we've been working on subtraction the let few lessons she was delighted to see an "old friend". She loves to talk about he art and artist (I only have her memorize the name).

As for your rising third grader, you'll need to ask the others more about that in the MP forum.

I think if they're sit and do it could easily be done in that time.

Thank you so much!  I am going to call MP tomorrow to speak to them, but I am  interested in a different opinion.  For a child who knows all of his letters and sounds (but could use work on writing on them), do you think that there are any parts of the Kindy program that I could skip/omit?  It's hard for me to figure out how all of the books fit together.  Did you use all of the readers?

Thank you again!!!

I am 98% sure that I will be biting the bullet and ordering Kindy week.  I am so excited.

With respect to the my third grader, I am not sure that MP is the best fit.

I agree a package is harder when you have a reader. Same boat re Memoria kagmypts!

I have a reading rising kindergartener. He wanted to learn to read last year so we've made it beyond all three or four sounds each letter makes to the world of two letter phonograms. I've caught him reading over my shoulder before, asking questions about what he read. He's doing basic encoding too, not just decoding. It's his handwriting that isn't beyond k. Last night I ordered from Memoria the PDF of individual lesson plans including the copybook plans and skipped the k reading plans. You know, ordering the first grade reading and k handwriting might be an option for your kindergartener.

Since he's halfway through RightStart A I skipped the numbers book too although I ordered the PDF math plans and R&S math. I'm going to try out a method of math education suggested by a friend who teaches ap math at a classical school (he proposes the best foundation for upper level math is old fashioned arithmetic balanced with a conceptual program). Also got the sketchbook, and recitation plans. Btw the enrichment guide is only $12 on PDF!

Also got the sketchbook, and recitation plans. Btw the enrichment guide is only $12 on PDF!

Thank you for the input.  By the way, what does the sketchbook like?  Is it literally blank on the top half with ruled lines below it?  I am trying to figure out if I need the MP branded one?  I am looked on the MP web site for the $12 PDF enrichment guide?  It looks like that is only the lesson plan, and does not include the actual activities?  Do you know if that is correct?  I am leaning toward buying only parts of MP, but I am not sure which ones.

I haven't received them in the mail. The images online sure indicate as much. As for the enrichment guide didn't take the plunge as am leaning towards trying out my own literature curriculum. But yes I believe it contains the plans.

Thank you for the input. By the way, what does the sketchbook like? Is it literally blank on the top half with ruled lines below it? I am trying to figure out if I need the MP branded one? I am looked on the MP web site for the $12 PDF enrichment guide? It looks like that is only the lesson plan, and does not include the actual activities? Do you know if that is correct? I am leaning toward buying only parts of MP, but I am not sure which ones.

The sketchbook is just a book with space to draw and write...It is not a blank top, more like a big box on a page to contain the sketch...

The Enrichment Guide is the lesson plans for the read alouds...I love the enrichment guide!...I have the first grade one and it has a lot of valuable information about the books, authors, the art study cards, different aspects of history and science...It is much more than I expected it to be and I am glad I got it...Honestly, the art study cards and the enrichment guides are two of my favorite things MP makes...

As far as being dry and boring, it is hard to answer that question...Everyone has a different idea of what work should be like...It is not boring to us, but I don't really think any school work would really be fun...I would always rather do something else no matter how the material is presented and I am sure my boys would too...Learning is enjoyable, but getting an education is tough work...It is fine for what it is I guess...I think it is engaing as long as you are there to guide and help, as is anything I would think...

As far as writing goes, I do find there is a lot of it once you get to the third grade level...We do some things orally to alleviate some of the writing...I have them write when it makes sense to, and we discuss what we can too...K-2nd is a bit different than the other grades...K-2nd is easier to get done..The third grade package is tough and is a jump from 2nd, but you can modify it to fit your needs, eliminate some things, or slow it down...I do feel it is harder to jump in and start the third grade package with a third grader if you are not use to MP...They are actually planning to offer an alternative 3rd grade package at a slower pace because they know it is too much for many people...

Overall, we like it...All three of my boys want to continue with it in the fall...I am always the one on the fence about it because I like the idea of making my own plans, but my boys would rather do MP :-)...If I ever do piece my stuff together, I would be using everything I could from MP anyway...Their books are eay to use, lightweight, and are easy to store...Not exactly academic reasons, but still a few pros in my book!

Hope this helps...

After re-reading your original post, I would recommend you start with the K and 2nd grade packages for your younger two...Since your middle son is not a lover of language arts and is still working on parts of speech, the 2nd grade package with the 3rd grade math would be a better fit...Prima Latina covers parts of speech where Latina Christiana assumes you know it already...The second grade literature is challenging enough for third grader...My current 3rd grader is doing that now after starting with the 3rd grade package...I felt it would be best to back up a bit...He will do the 3rd grade package for his 4th grade year in the fall, and he will be better prepared for it...

With your oldest, I am not sure...If you decide to start with the 5th, just start with Fable Stage writing and either Latina 1 or First Form Latin...I would start with Latina...

I am not good at keeping track, but I would plan at least a four hour day plus lunch to get everything done with everyone...I have to work with all three of them at some level each day...My oldest can do a lot more on his own, but we have more to discuss...I plan for a 5 hour day so I spend about 1.5hrs with each of them teaching a math lesson or working on something...Someone will get an extra half hour a day it seems, so I expect a 5 hour work day for me...They do what they can independently while I am working with someone else...

Thank you so much! I am going to call MP tomorrow to speak to them, but I am interested in a different opinion. For a child who knows all of his letters and sounds (but could use work on writing on them), do you think that there are any parts of the Kindy program that I could skip/omit? It's hard for me to figure out how all of the books fit together. Did you use all of the readers?

Thank you again!!!

Knowing his 26 phonograms you could skip the supplemental extra practice workbook (formerly SRA and now being replaced with Core Skills: Phonics) and just do the FSR set or visaversa.

Due to $$ I did not order the EPS readers, but we do use the American Language Series readers and Bob Books. I haven't really organized our Bob Books into it, we do it more on demand as she is willing and as I believe we've covered a phonogram. But again if he already knows them, you might need less.