Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlmiraGulch

Today's Useless Poll: How do you like your eggs?

Eggs  

178 members have voted

1. 1. My favorite way to eat eggs is......

• Scrambled or in an omelette
    • Deviled or hard boiled
    • Poached
    • Baked
    • Over easy
    • Fried, more cooked than over-easy
    • Other

I don't dislike scrambled eggs, but I seem to have more issues with them prepared that way (more likelihood someone added milk). I am still confused between sunny side up vs. eggs over easy (I see lots of people disagree on the definitions). I like the yolks runny. Ha I typed funny at first. I enjoy them on buttered toast. Mmm. I also like deviled eggs.

I've always thought they were the same thing.  Both super runny, both gross.  hahaha

Yeah, I thought so, too. But people disagree on whether or not the egg is cooked on both sides and flipped. I don't care if the yellow is visible or not as long as it is runny. My husband offers me a "fried egg" and just tries to keep the yolk runny. So honestly I was thinking fried egg was just another word for the same thing at first. Once it starts to gel I feel like it's dry. Probably why I prefer hard boiled eggs in a salad where I can spread dressing over them.

Yeah, I thought so, too. But people disagree on whether or not the egg is cooked on both sides and flipped. I don't care if the yellow is visible or not as long as it is runny. My husband offers me a "fried egg" and just tries to keep the yolk runny. So honestly I was thinking fried egg was just another word for the same thing at first. Once it starts to gel I feel like it's dry. Probably why I prefer hard boiled eggs in a salad where I can spread dressing over them.

According to the interconnected web:

Over Easy - Eggs cooked "over easy" means that it gets fried on both sides, but the yolk stays runny. To make one, you cook the raw egg just until the whites are set on the bottom, then you quickly flip it over to cook the other side. "Over" refers to flipping the egg, and "easy" refers to the doneness of the yolk. You can also cook eggs "over medium" and "over hard," depending on how cooked you prefer the yolk!

Sunny Side Up - This means that the egg is fried just on one side. The yolk is still completely liquid and the whites on the surface are barely set. You can cover the pan briefly to make sure the whites are cooked or baste them with butter. We've always assumed that the name refers to the way this egg looks like the morning sun.

Translation:  Sunny Side Up eggs would make me hurl.   :ack2: 

I don't dislike eggs most ways, but I don't really love them any way. My SIL makes awesome deviled eggs, but only for holidays a few times per year.

So I chose other, and by that I mean baked in cakes and cookies! :D

I prefer my eggs prepared different ways depending on what I am eating with the eggs. Eggs over easy don't mix well with muffins or yogurt, but I love them that way with toast or biscuits and gravy. I love eggs scrambled in bacon fat, or hard boiled and still hot with a softer set center.

I totally forgot about soft boiled. I haven't had an egg that way in forever, but my parents have those cute little egg holders to place them in and eat with a spoon. Probably gonna gross out the OP for bringing up soft boiled Lol

I generally cook my yolks and whites separately because I like my whites crispy and my yolks hot and runny.  I also like to eat them mixed with grits and scooped on toast.

They come from corn, but apparently can also come from hominy. Better to have someone who knows what they are doing make them for you. Instant grits will probably let you down. If made right they are yummy (to me. With melted butter).

Not raw. Just about any other way is fine by me. (Well, raw in cookie dough is pretty good! :tongue_smilie: )

I like fried eggs over easy or sunny side up. If it has any crustiness or burntness to it I can't stand them. I prefer them runny but for food safety reason I like them just cooked enough but no more. I don't like omelets at all and am not really a fan of scrambled eggs either. I do like hard boiled eggs.

sunny side up.  the only time a hard cooked yolk is acceptable is if it's hard boiled or used in deviled eggs.  Deviled eggs should not have mustard (GAG) or any sort of pickle product in them.  I also like egg salad, which is kind of like deviled eggs chopped up on bread.   I will eat scrambled if they are not overcooked and dry, thus I will not under any circumstances eat an omelette.

I like eggs every single way. My go to breakfast is oatmeal and a soft boiled egg. I love Eggs Benedict, provided someone else is cooking. Fried eggs with sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes. With grits. Scrambled with toast. Cheddar and scallion omelette. Basically everything egg.

Not raw. Just about any other way is fine by me. (Well, raw in cookie dough is pretty good! :tongue_smilie: )

Same here.  I love eggs and could eat them daily.  I sometimes do in the summer when we have tons from our chickens.  Which way is my favorite totally depends upon the day/hour.

I voted fried--I like them over hard. With steamed rice and Portuguese sausage. Bacon can sub but it's not as good.

As a kid I liked soft-boiled but the thought of it now makes me gag. I can't believe I used to eat it that way! I just can't bear runny yolks anymore.

haha! Maybe you have only had the Waffle House variety. Yuck. I cannot eat those.

I used to despise grits.  A couple of years ago I ordered a pork dish from a restaurant I like and forgot to substitute something for the grits.

I took one bite and it was like an entirely new food group experience.  These were thick and creamy and had a great texture in my mouth, plus tasted great with the sauce from the pork.  It was almost like a risotto.  I mean, it didn't taste like risotto, but it reminded me more of risotto than that nasty wallpaper gritty disgusting crap I'd always had before.

I still don't order them intentionally, usually, but if I'm in a higher end restaurant I assume they're good and don't ask for potatoes or something instead.  I'd say it's about 50/50 if they're good or not, but the good ones are really good.

Believe it or not, when I first moved to the South there was a McD's near me that sold grits. I actually liked those ones, too. But it's kind of hit and miss like you said. Last time I visited my in-laws my MIL made grits and they were good. Might have to request them next visit lol.

Love eggs.  First choice is scrambled with lots of veggies.  My next choice would be fried or poached, but....the yolk must be done.  When I eat out and order a fried egg, I tell them to 'kill it'.  So far, I seem to be the only person who can poach an egg with the yolk hard.  

I love, love, love eggs in any form, but my favorite way to eat them is with the whites cooked and the yolks runny. I love eggs so much I eat 4-8 per day. Luckily, I have a bunch of sweet chickens that leave me egg presents every day. :) I could easily go without meat, but I couldn't go without eggs!

I chose scrambled but I equally love deviled eggs. I eat about 6-8 eggs per day. Scrambled for breakfast and deviled in between meals. I cook them swimming in butter and add a some american or cheddar cheese. MMMMMMM! I have about 60 chickens (give or take, they are fast moving and hard to count!) so we always have delicious fresh eggs. I love bacon and I cook a lot of things in the bacon grease, but not my eggs. Eggs must be drowned in butter.

Any way except fertilized. :leaving:

I eat scrambled eggs almost every morning, although over easy sounds tasty right now.  DH would gag if he saw it.

I don't know what Waffle House is.

:svengo:

It's a sort of diner chain.  HQ in metro Atlanta.  We have a Waffle House and a Baptist Church on ever corner.

I adore Waffle House.  

Eggs are interesting to me (ok, "interesting" may be a bit of a strong word....) because I can love them or hate them, depending on the preparation.

I think eggs are crazy-interesting!  I haven't voted because I love eggs most everywhichway. :)

PS. I really like omelettes. +  whatever deliciousness wrapped in egg = good. lol

Scrambled eggs with American cheese, tomatoes, and mushrooms - bonus with bacon!

I hate spices and herbs in my eggs. Salt only.

:) Salt is underutilized in home-cooking. :)

I like eggs in cooking, not by themselves. I have had this dislike of eggs ever since I opened up a hard boiled egg at age 7 and found a fully formed duckling, hard boiled. Sort of turned me off eggs for life.

I like eggs most any way that doesn't have runny whites. My favorite is over medium fried in bacon grease.

What are grits?

When properly prepared grits are an amazingly creamy and delicious means of conveying butter and salt into one's mouth. When not properly prepared they are a lumpy mess.

I like eggs in cooking, not by themselves. I have had this dislike of eggs ever since I opened up a hard boiled egg at age 7 and found a fully formed duckling, hard boiled. Sort of turned me off eggs for life.

Oh my god.  I would have a heart attack.

I once bit into a piece of fried chicken that was not cooked.  I haven't bitten into a piece of fried chicken since.  If I eat it at all, I have to eat it with a knife and fork or pick it apart with my fingers.  That is no sort of trauma at all compared to yours.  

I love scrambled (I put about 3 tbsps water in when scrambling and they come out really fluffy), but my favorite way lately is "egg in a cup".  I make eggs over easy (fried in butter) then slide them into a coffee cup with some salt and pepper and chop them all up with a spoon.  It brings me back to my childhood when my Irish grandparents used to make me this, but using soft-boiled eggs instead.  (I fail miserably at making soft boiled eggs).

I don't know what Waffle House is.

How they gauge how bad the destruction from a natural disaster in the South is lol. If WH can't re-open then the area has been devastated.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/11/11/FEMA-uses-Waffle-House-as-a-disaster-indicator/3111384190107/

Waffle House is where I used to eat late night when I was in college. They are always open. And the place was always freezing so I had to bundle up. There are some Waffle House songs on the juke box but I don't think I've been victim to the juke box.

We had egg-in-a-hole with sausage and gravy last night for the first time and everybody seemed to like it.

Here's how my great-grandfather ate his eggs every morning... He would crumble up some biscuits. Then put scrambled eggs on top. He would pour gravy over that. Next he would sprinkle it with sugar and then pour a little coffee on top! I've been wanting to try it ever since my mom told me :)

Fried egg, whites just set and yolk runny, lightly salted over toast or rice. The yolk is the 'sauce'

That is incredibly disturbing.  And now we have to know why you were eating a duck egg...

How they gauge how bad the destruction from a natural disaster in the South is lol. If WH can't re-open then the area has been devastated.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/11/11/FEMA-uses-Waffle-House-as-a-disaster-indicator/3111384190107/

Waffle House is where I used to eat late night when I was in college. They are always open. And the place was always freezing so I had to bundle up. There are some Waffle House songs on the juke box but I don't think I've been victim to the juke box.

When dh was in college, he got food poisoning (he believes) from a Waffle House and our family is unofficially forbidden to enter WH or any similar establishment.

I chose poached as my favorite but there ought to have been an "all of the above" option.

I like eggs nearly any way as long as they are properly prepared. Overcooked eggs make me gag.

When dh was in college, he got food poisoning (he believes) from a Waffle House and our family is unofficially forbidden to enter WH or any similar establishment.

That doesn't surprise me. But dh and I got ecoli after eating at Applebee's, which I consider cleaner. So you never know.

My favorite way is to sauté red and orange pepper, shredded cabbage (just a little), finely chopped leeks, mushrooms, and some turkey, chicken, or ham all together in sunflower oil. Then add egg and scramble. Top with parmesan cheese.

Second favorite way is quiche.

I also eat them boiled with salt for picnics and snacks when I'm traveling.