Menu

Geography w/b suggestions?

mirabillis

We're headed to Europe to travel this summer, and while we don't do school in the summer, I was thinking it might be nice if I could bring a lightweight Geography w/b of some sort to teach some Geography in our off times. Esp as we'll be travelling to new countries, so good to learn some Geography. We don't get to Geography in the year (too busy with other stuff), but I thought it'd be nice. Only caveat - has to be fairly light, and lightweight.

Any suggestions?

Honestly, we travel a lot and have used most of the geography curriculum available and my advice is to leave the books behind. None are particularly engaging and all will feel like "school". BUT being in the country is a wonderful way to learn. Just let it be natural. And talk to them while you travel. Explain how each country had different currencies, but  now most use the Euro and tell them why. Look for the flag and then google what different parts of the flag mean (let them google if possible). Watch out for differences in culture, learn a few words of the language, make sure they know the capital city etc. Just talk about things as you experience them and they will have a very educational summer and come back knowing LOTS of geography.

Oh - if you really want to buy something to take, buy an atlas. Then they can "place" where you are and maps are wonderful learning tools.

Honestly, we travel a lot and have used most of the geography curriculum available and my advice is to leave the books behind. None are particularly engaging and all will feel like "school". BUT being in the country is a wonderful way to learn. Just let it be natural. And talk to them while you travel. Explain how each country had different currencies, but  now most use the Euro and tell them why. Look for the flag and then google what different parts of the flag mean (let them google if possible). Watch out for differences in culture, learn a few words of the language, make sure they know the capital city etc. Just talk about things as you experience them and they will have a very educational summer and come back knowing LOTS of geography.

Oh - if you really want to buy something to take, buy an atlas. Then they can "place" where you are and maps are wonderful learning tools.

Thanks for the advice! Sometimes sage words of wisdom from those who have been there, done that ring true. We travel most every summer, last summer included, and we've never done any formal schooling... but I thought it nice to incorporate something more formal than language learning, currency trading, etc. But we do all that in spades. My 11 yo son went to grocery stores by himself in 4 different countries last year, using their currency and figuring things out. So perhaps we'll just let ourselves be... and look to one of these workbooks upon our return to real school. ;)

P.S. Meryl - I like their suggestions of Visits to Europe and Evan-Moor's 7 Continents - would either of those be a fun outloud read to 1st-7th graders while away? Do you know these w/b's?

I have the Evan Moor. They are fine as workbooks go and I used them as we studied each continent. But I did that during regular school (sometimes we traveled during the school year and then we did do school as we traveled). I looked at Visits to Europe. Did you look at the example pdf? The actual book looked fairly appealing and nicer than anything else I have seen, but the pdf of the workbook showed that students have to do quite a bit of writing. I know mine would have balked at doing that in the summer.

Another thought if you have a kindle or ipad is to get some novels set in the countries you are visiting and read those aloud while you are away. 

We treated our overseas vacations as extended field trips. We had often studied those countries during the year before and we tried to tie in to the history we had done too (eg in England the year we had done ancients we went to Bath and Stonehenge and the British Museum). My oldest daughter called it school by "immersion". She would happily have just kept traveling and learning like that