Menu

If you use both SM and BA...

How do you do it?  Do you do them concurrently, one behind the other a bit, alternate days/weeks...? 

My son is in SM3 and is whizzing through it, even though he doesn't technically start 2nd grade until this fall.  I am afraid we will reach a brick wall at some point if we don't slow down a bit.  But at the same time, I don't want to spend two years to do two programs at the same level.  I'm thinking of adding in BA to our SM, but am not sure how. 

I was thinking about finishing up SM3 (probably around Christmas?), then doing both SM4 and BA4 somehow.  Since there didn't used to be a BA3, I assume we can jump in with 4 and not be lost or anything.  Or should I do BA3 while doing SM4? 

Thanks for any tips! 

I let my child carry on with SM through 5B. I had been buying BA as it became available, but she liked SM, it was going well, and no one minded doing it. She's young to be this far along and began resisting SM, so we switched to working through BA. She isn't ready for pre-algebra, nor am I willing to make it a big fight to keep proceeding forward in the name of pregress.

For a more average kid, I'd consider doing BA between chapters in SM. BA isn't something my daughter can sit down and zoom through in a day each week, and I want her to have the time to think and play with the problems, not add them to her day's work.

My initial plan was to do SM 3x a week and do BA the remaining 2 days, but my daughter loves BA that she insists on doing it every homeschooling day in addition to SM. I usually restrict her to 1 or 2 pages from the workbook, otherwise a major part of our day will get swallowed by Math. She is not a big fan of SM though...

How do you do it? Do you do them concurrently, one behind the other a bit, alternate days/weeks...?

My son is in SM3 and is whizzing through it, even though he doesn't technically start 2nd grade until this fall. I am afraid we will reach a brick wall at some point if we don't slow down a bit. But at the same time, I don't want to spend two years to do two programs at the same level. I'm thinking of adding in BA to our SM, but am not sure how.

I was thinking about finishing up SM3 (probably around Christmas?), then doing both SM4 and BA4 somehow. Since there didn't used to be a BA3, I assume we can jump in with 4 and not be lost or anything. Or should I do BA3 while doing SM4?

Thanks for any tips!

As the mom of a very young kiddo doing both, I want to say you may end up revising your schedule a bit...we are always working on fun 'extra math' threads and so it may be slightly different, but I was alarmed to discover there was not a whole lot new in either Singapore 3B nor 4A. We are actually doing them concurrently, although we just started. We are on vacation now, but our regular schedule is BA 2 days per week and other supplements 2 days per week usually, but that is usually in addition to SM at her request.

As the mom of a very young kiddo doing both, I want to say you may end up revising your schedule a bit...we are always working on fun 'extra math' threads and so it may be slightly different, but I was alarmed to discover there was not a whole lot new in either Singapore 3B nor 4A. We are actually doing them concurrently, although we just started. We are on vacation now, but our regular schedule is BA 2 days per week and other supplements 2 days per week usually, but that is usually in addition to SM at her request.

I can already see that there is a ton of repetition in SM3.  The mental math stuff... my son was like AGAIN???  We never stopped doing mental math exercises as we progressed through 2, so the mm in 3 has been a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. 

Lol, yes...uh, more to come but with a few more digits:)

Really, 4A does some geometry, things like perimeter and area that we have played a lot with, some more fraction work. A couple of other small things. If you do BA will have mastered that and more in MUCH more depth.

Right now I am letting my dd run with it as she is young. She likes to work in BA and more challenging math puzzles, but primarily with mom for those as she does not have the stamina or drawing skills to handle longer challenges in one setting. Honestly, I am hoping we hit a wall at some point. We will have plenty of time to go back and revisit more simple concepts in much greater depth, and we already do this for things she covered previously. It makes for a great review and mastery...so we run BA behind for this and because of the production schedule! (But have been known to skip to a chapter on a particular topic if she is adamant on learning something)

My 9yo son does both and I don't follow a schedule. Some weeks we only do Singapore or BA. Sometimes we do both. If one is taking more time due to a particular concept I put the other aside. My son is almost done with 5A and in 3rd grade. I really don't want to do Pre-Algebra until 6th grade so we aren't in a big hurry. He also does Life of Fred and Daily Math so he spends at least an hour or more on math each day but it is his favorite subject. We do math in the summer too which helps with working 2 programs. I do treat BA more like a supplement just because I'm not trying to do 4 books a year. I think we'll run out of them next year since they are coming out so slowly and my son only has a couple left he hasn't done.

My older one works on BA as it's published. He goes through them quickly, so he does SM the rest of to time.

I am asking the same questions as you are with my younger boy. He is seven and I chose for him to complete SM through 3B before I let him start BA. I think BA is harder than SM, so I wanted him to get a bit older. In retrospect (he has completed BA 3B), mixing the two would have been better, but I am not sure I can get him to look at SM again given the BA fever. We will probably work through all of BA grade 3 books and then bring back SM by alternating days.

4A does multi-digit multiplication and addition & subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators so there are two MAJOR new topics. I would agree that there isn't much new in 3B, but I completely disagree about 4A.

I'm running BA slightly behind SM because BA is generally (though not always) harder. DS is in SM 4A and finishing up BA 3C & 3D. We have been jumping around in BA because I'm using that to review topics learned in SM and so I don't want to have the same topics too close together.

4A does multi-digit multiplication and addition & subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators so there are two MAJOR new topics. I would agree that there isn't much new in 3B, but I completely disagree about 4A.

I'm running BA slightly behind SM because BA is generally (though not always) harder. DS is in SM 4A and finishing up BA 3C & 3D. We have been jumping around in BA because I'm using that to review topics learned in SM and so I don't want to have the same topics too close together.

Hmm, I guess those didn't really seem like major new topics as we had already played around with them, but I could definitely see how they could be considered such! Dd learned multi-digit multiplication at the same time as the initial algorithm and then mental math. We haven't done much fraction work in 4A yet, but she has been playing with the Key to...books so we will have to see how that plays out in SM.

I like your ideas of using BA to review later. That is kind of what I try to plan, but the kid often has other ideas:)

PM 3A only covers multiplication by a single digit, so a student who has not done supplemental work would find the double-digit multiplication in 4A new. That's the section that my DS is working on at the moment and he's driving me bonkers because he wants to do it mentally rather than by the algorithm.

Looking at the S and S for BA, I think we'll keep the SM as the spine and work in BA, maybe doing 1 BA book after doing 1/4 of a SM level.  I realize BA is stand-alone, but SM has been serving us well so far and I'd like to keep that steady forward progression in addition to the deeper dives with BA.  So far with SM, I tend to run two chapters at once for the less complex material- f.ex. we might to measurement and time simultaneously, or geometry and graphing/tables.  That's been working well so far, and we'll sail through the multiplication this year because DS memorized all his tables already.  So we just need to get the hang of the stacked algorithm this year.